Which sight is better for this AR?

Discussion in 'AR Forum' started by Alexy, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Alexy

Alexy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2016
    I am torn between a classic carryhandle sight and a Magpul MBUS rear sight for a Panther DPMS (carbine length, 5.56)

I'm not sure how long of a distance the magpul sight will work if it has no elevation adjustment like the carryhandle. How would I know how to aim for different elevations?

And what would be a good distrance to sight the magpul flip sight at?

It is about the same height as the carryhandle is when it is set to "z".

What's the Z stand for? And how do you compensate for various distances? I assume the magpul sight just works from 0-200 yards or Something? I really like it but I'm torn because the carryahndle can adjust for distance (0-600 yds) while the magpul can't.

2. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    If this will be your main sighting system for the AR, meaning no optic, get the carry handle. It’s sturdier and there’s no use to a folding sight if it’s the main sighting system. The elevation can be changed at the from sight with the Magpul. Sight the AR in at 50 yards, I believe 50 yards is the standard and due to the 5.56 trajectory it’ll be dead on at 50 and 200.

Distances it’ll be good at depends on you some what. You should be able to hit man size targets within 200yards, much more than that get a variable powered optic

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019

3. Wake27

Wake27 Active Member

Oct 16, 2017
    Is your front sight post f-marked? Some of the cheaper ones aren't, which makes it difficult finding the correct rear sight for it. The point above is solid, if you're just sticking to irons, there isn't much sense in having a flip down rear. Finally, how often are you going to be shooting past 200?

4. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    I also like Daniel Defense and LMT/RRA Fixed rear. Any of the three and you’ll be golden

5. Alexy

Alexy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2016
    Never heard of this mark. It's a classic A2 sight. It appears to already be factory zeroed.

And as far as distance is concerned, I doubt it will be past 200, but I always want to be able to target practice at this range as well. I've had feedback on this subject once before and it's funny because everybody tended to say switch to the magpul MBUS rear sight and ditch the carry handle unless I really wanted it.

I just keep getting torn between the two. Is it possible to shoot at the distances the carryhandle has settings for with just the flip rear?

Are there any complications with this sight I should know about? I've seen many people have them, my carryhandle is just getting old.

6. bamashooter

bamashooter Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2013
    F-marked FSBs are slightly different in height vs a standard A2 FSB and are associated with flat top uppers vs an integrated carry handle. However, they can be used with an A2, no problem. Couple of pics showing the difference. https://www.google.com/search?biw=1...90.668.8......1....1..gws-wiz-img.qDR281oTbu4

Alexy and Wake27 like this.
  7. shemeneto

shemeneto Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2016
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with the standard sighting system on your ar. It will likely be marked for preset elevations out to 6 or 800 meters.
    As said, the "F" marked fronts are slightly higher than non f marked sights, a minuscule amount.
    Does the rifle in question have a detachable carry handle? And you're wanting to do away with it entirely? I'd look at the Midwest Industries new combat sight rear. MI nailed it with these sights, especially the rear armature sizing, best sights out there right now in my very humble opinion.
    Elevation adjustments are usually done with the front sight using a bullet tip or more properly, the adjustment tool you should have gotten. Not with every rear sight, but many, dont have else adds. Your factory should I think, gross adjustments to be used after proper sight in.
    Nothing wrong with the magpul mbus but the imbues PRO is way better.
    The "Z" is where you set the rear when zeroing your weapon.

bamashooter and Alexy like this.
  8. BenchMonkey

BenchMonkey Angry Infidel

Nov 28, 2018
    Screenshot_20190210-163613_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20190210-163631_Chrome.jpg

Can't really sell it better other than the fact that I have it mounted to my primary long gun and it's much better IMO than the Mag Pul.

bamashooter, Alexy and Colorado Sonny like this.
  9. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    This is what I have on my Colt 6921 carbine
    [​IMG]

10. shemeneto

Nov 22, 2016
    Yep, matech is a good unit no question, not as good as MI's new Combat sights. I have them on 2 of my carbines and I like them better than any other bus I've personally used, KAC, PRI etc. I'm telling ya, MI just done it right with these. And they've just released an offset iteration if you require that. No, I do not work with or for MI. I just think they make great stuff. I've always had great results from their rails as well, and they price their products more realistically than just about anyone else of comparable quality.
    Rock solid lock up, and down.

11. Alexy

Alexy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2016
    Yes very similar to what I have in my ar. I think I'll stick with the carryhandle it came with after all.

12. Alexy

Alexy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2016
    Okay I think I'm going to keep the carry handle. And I'm sorry to ask but I have just 3 stupid questions really quick: 1. If it's set to "Z", what is the distance you're supposed to zero at so it will be accurate?(my gun store said set it to "300" then zero it, not sure if this is correct or not)
    2. Is the system used Metric? I assumed it was Emperial system but sounds like it might be metric, my knob says "6/3" on it. Is this meters?

And last, is 25 yards good enough? My range only goes to 25 yards and I'm unsure if this is good for sighting. I have a Gut feeling it's not.

And thank you for your time friend. I appreciate it very much :):

13. shemeneto

Nov 22, 2016
    Alexy likes this.
  14. Alexy

Alexy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2016
  15. shemeneto

Nov 22, 2016
    Hell, I'm just happy I could finally help someone. Lots of smart folks here.

And, you're very welcome

Alexy likes this.
  16. CENTURIATOR

CENTURIATOR Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2018
    If you aren't planning on running an optic, the carry handle looks awesome and works just fine.

duketbrd88 likes this.
  17. bamashooter

bamashooter Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2013
    Here you go. https://azrifleman.com/basic-rifle-marksmanship-brm-series-how-to-zero-your-ar15/

18. Alexy

Alexy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2016
    No problem sir!

19. CENTURIATOR

CENTURIATOR Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2018
    If you do however, or have however, had a chance to shoot an AR with a red dot sight, I think you'd really enjoy it!

duketbrd88 likes this.
  20. duketbrd88

duketbrd88 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Can't beat a colt carry handle or red dot, if you're not running a scope.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted