1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All, looking to buy a rail mounted light for my bedside gun. As of now, likely my MP45 or a CZ.

I have basically decided to get a streamlight brand. Which one?

I read some say that the 800 lumens is too much and prefer 300 lumens.

Then, the TLR1 has a better control location?

Which would you guys choose?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
just one more
656 Posts
Some trainers with much more experience than me (including the late pat rogers) suggest the too much light idea is a farce. I will say I've yet to experience it (too much light). Possible I'm sure but unlikely on a handgun light. I personally would avoid the strobe function, it complicates handling which is the hardest part of using a light, and offers little benefi in my opinion. The best gun lights are simple ON/OFF in my opinion. I have a really like the streamlight TRL-1 and TRL HL. Either is a decent choice, and for what its worth 800 is not 2+x brighter than 300. The trl-7 is a compromise light for carry, not what I'd go with for a bedside gun.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Like @N of 1, I was advised by my trainers to avoid super bright lights for indoors. The spash back from white interior walls and mirrors can be quite disorienting.

I was also taught to only use the light sparingly. The light is on just long enough to identify the threat and establish a sight picture. Then turn off the light, shoot, move, and repeat until the threat is no more. When using a light like this, less lumens is actually better because it doesn't dialate your eyes as much.

·
resident crank
1,979 Posts
When shopping around for a weapons light, don't forget to look at the candela along with the lumens.
This is an excellent point. I worked for Sylvania the first ten years of my career a lifetime ago, and “lumens" per se is just the total measure of all the light emitted by a light source in no particular direction. In the labs at HQ they would place the light source (light bulb, for instance) in a metal globe of a specific size, and measure all the light that strikes the entire inside surface of that globe.

Once those lumens are controlled with a reflector and a lens, now you have a whole new quantity to be measured.

·
Max Otto von Stierlitz
2,638 Posts
I own a few Streamlight products; two hand-helds, two weapons mounted lights and a couple of the little clip-on pen lights. Been very satisfied with them; they’ve all held up well. The hand-helds use a rechargeable battery pack and can throw a beam that lights up the whole hillside on the other side of the creek. It may sound counter-intuitive, but something that strong is not what I’d choose to clear a house at night.

Of course, I’ve got old eyes so YMVV; but if the walls of your house are white (reflective) and you awoke from a dead sleep, I’d suggest something on the order of 300 lumens is more than adequate for room clearing. I’ve got a TLR-4 (110 lumens) on one home defense pistol and a TLR-2G (300 lumens) on my primary HD bedside gun. Beretta .45ACP Storm & latest Streamlight acquisitions:

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
I also find that hand held lights are really nice when shooting around barricades/walls. When the light is attached to your weapon, it can get obscured by the wall when your peeking around around a corner -- especially when you're in a tight hallway or small room and can't really step back very far from the wall.

Reactions: fieldgrade

·
resident crank
1,979 Posts
I also find that hand held lights are really nice when shooting around barricades/walls. When the light is attached to your weapon, it can get obscured by the wall when your peeking around around a corner -- especially when you're in a tight hallway or small room and can't really step back very far from the wall.
Indeed. That bright light shining on the wall you are standing behind right next to you can be blinding, as I discovered in night matches. I keep a Streamlight handheld on my nightstand with no light on the gun for that reason.

·
Banned
1,853 Posts
I've got both. And both are great in the house. If outside I guess the 800 would be better. But if the cost is a factor? I'm not going to be chasing anyone outside the house. I think, at least not at this moment of time. Might have too in future times.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Good point...plus the fact that you may point the weapons mounted light at a loved one.

Just something to consider.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I've had the TLR 1 HL on a bedside gun — first a M45 A1 and now a 11.5" AR. I haven't found it to be too much light indoors in the dark at all. I love it and would absolutely buy another.

The only reason I took it off the pistol was because I picked up a 1000 lumen Surefire 300. I was thinking I might try to pick up a Safariland holster they make for that pistol/light combo (the M45 A1s are picky about holsters as I understand it).

·
just one more
656 Posts
Quick clarification. I have used the 800 lumen HL indoors, and I didn't have a problem, I also didn't notice that much increase in light vs the 300 lumen TRL1 or other lights. Yes it's brighter but not in a holy crap that 2-3x brighter way. I think it has to do with spill vs throw candela etc. IF your willing to fall into a rabbit hole there's several light forums including candle power forums where you can exercise your physics/light geek. For me either was more than adequate inside. However if you take it outside you'll note the throw is much better on the HL. if I could only have 1, I'd pick up the HL. If money was an issue, I'd save the $ and pick up the regular version.

The biggest thing to sort out with a light is how you plan to use it and then get comfortable with manipulating it. I personally really like the toggle switch on the streamlight models for this exact reason. And the fact that my home gun isn't subjected to "hard use" means any theoretical advantage of more robust lights remains theoretical.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I really appreciate all the feedback. Exactly what I was wanting to hear.

I’ll order in the morning so if you guys have an option in the $100-150 range, I’ll listen.

·
Max Otto von Stierlitz
2,638 Posts
If you can catch them, Optics Planet is a good source for such things (check sale / coupons items too).

Just for grins, looks like they’ve got the TLR-1 for $106 (free shipping but not incl your state sales tax), using the coupon code: BLACK.

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
I really appreciate all the feedback. Exactly what I was wanting to hear.

I’ll order in the morning so if you guys have an option in the $100-150 range, I’ll listen.

Here’s my option. The PL-Pro Valkyrie is a great option for bedside. It’ll give you the option for 300 lumens, 1500 lumens, and a Strobe feature. It’s rechargeable, and you wont have to worry about replacing batteries or broken battery doors (Streamlight TLR1 HL). Holster options are hard to come by, but since you’re wanting this for bedside - it’s worth a look. 35% off right now. And there’s just no such thing as too many lumens.

https://www.olightstore.com/pl-pro-valkyrie.html

Gun Firearm White Trigger Gun accessory

Machine Toy

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I have a TLR-1 and the battery door thingy did break but I was able to buy a replacement door. I also picked up a TLR-2 HR G (800L?) which has the green laser that I really like. Didn't use them mounted to pistol, buy batteries in bulk and keep them handy. They don't start going dim, they just won't come on.
With fresh batteries both are bright.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.