Which Style Hammer for Full Sized Colt...Spur or ROUND Commander type?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Nalajr, Dec 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Nalajr

Nalajr Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Hey all.

Been a while since I’ve been here so HELLO to all. I hope you and your loved ones have been blessed and are having a wonderful Christmas season.

What I’d like to ask you guys and gals is about what kind of hammer for a NRM Colt.

I’ve been going back and forth for a year or so about how I want to configure my Colt. On one hand I love the look of a ROUND Commander hammer with either a carry type abbreviated beavertail or the stubby type that used to come standard on Colt Commanders.
    Then, as I start making a list of what to buy and get to make it happen, I’ll get a nagging feeling that I just might be doing the wrong thing and that I should get a WW1 styled Wide Spur Hammer and grip safety and rear sight like the ones that came on the Colt 1911 WW1 re-issue.

What do you all think? Which one do you prefer? If you have a round hammer, please post some pics. I’d like to see how you did it.
    The other style I guess would be considered a RETRO styled 1911.

If you have any advice or recommendations on parts to use, I’d like to hear them.

The only thing about using the Round hammer is that I’d have to decide whether to use an actual beavertail or one of the grip safeties that come on the Commanders. I have no idea what beavertail is use. Wilson has a “concealment” beavertail for around $90 or so, but I’ve never been able to find a picture of one of these beaver tails on a full sized Colt to see how it looks on a NRM and a round hammer. If you have a picture, please post it.

Thank you all kindly. May you and your family and loved ones have a blessed Christmas season and a wonderful 2019!!

Larry

WC145 and xerts1191 like this.
  2. Colorado Sonny

Colorado Sonny Deo Volente Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    Gotta go with the wide spur hammer! :grin:

WC145 and Kip like this.

3. retrieverman

retrieverman Well-Known Member

May 16, 2013
    I’ve been agonizing over the same decision and have decided on the WC concealment beavertail and Harrison retro hammer.

There’s a picture in the sleeper Colt thread of that combo on a gun posted by Isbbigdog.

4. JohnnyEgo

JohnnyEgo Well-Known Member

May 17, 2017
    I have a Harrison retro hammer on my A2. I like it quite a bit. All the class, none of the hammer bite.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    John Harrison put a wide spur in my King's '48 Colt, had him trim it just a bit to make sure it doesn't bite. I really like it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

David Clevinger used the factory hammer with a Derr Precision grip safety in my Wiley Clapp Commander build. The safety design is reminiscent of the old Hoag safety. I also asked him to bevel the hole in the hammer similar to the way Joe Bonar did his. Small things but integral to getting the look we were after.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. dakota1911

dakota1911 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    I am also a fan of the wide spur hammer, but use about everything else in my 1911 shooty collection. The next question is do you want it with a true half cock, the quarter shelf (some folk call this the "Series 80 hammer", or both. Both my SA ROs have hammers that have the "quarter shelf" AND a true half cock.

wcanterbury likes this.
  7. Nalajr

Nalajr Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2015
    GOD....I knew this was gonna happen as soon as I clicked the button to submit my post.

Those are some BREATHTAKING 1911's!!

If I end up doing it myself, I will be using the Harrison parts. Read and been told too many good things about them not to.

LOVE the look of that 'tail WC145! That's the kind of look I am going after, but I cannot do that kinda stuff myself.
    The Wide Spur is just gorgeous too.

I have to say fellas that this is NOT making my decision any easier!! If anything, it'll end up getting me into trouble cause I'll want to get my XSE Commander out and start modifying it too!
    :)

Keep the advice and pics coming....

Thank you for your help and have a blessed and JOYOUS CHRISTMAS!!
    Larry

8. RatBikeRod

RatBikeRod You Don’t Know Me!

Nov 22, 2017
    I like both spur and commander hammers equally well. On my EDC VBob I went with a Wilson Retro Commander hammer. Looks great and works great.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Nalajr

Nalajr Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2015
    That's a SWEET rig there Rat....

Thank you and the others for posting the pics and giving advice. I appreciate you all taking the time to help me.

Have a wonderful Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

Larry

10. DRYHUMOR

DRYHUMOR Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Wide spur short grip safety
    [​IMG]

Berryman ring extended grip safety
    [​IMG]
    Bobbed hammer short grip safety

[​IMG]

11. samuse

samuse Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2013
    The hammer you have is excellent quality.

If you're not doing a beavertail I'd keep the original. I don't see any point in putting a wide spur or a Commander hammer on NRM '80 as neither offer any advantage and are incorrect.

12. RatBikeRod

RatBikeRod You Don’t Know Me!

Nov 22, 2017
    Johnny, I really like the bobbed spur from Harrisons. I may have to go that way on my A2. Very nice.

13. DRYHUMOR

DRYHUMOR Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2011
    My apologies... We got a guy at work named Berryman. I meant to type Berryhill.... ^^^ :oops:

14. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    One of my favs. Love the rat tail. LOL
    IMG_20180926_165810096.jpg IMG_20180926_165732926.jpg

samuse, KS95B40, WC145 and 1 other person like this.
  15. Greg45acp

Greg45acp Double Secret Banned Supporting Addict

Oct 31, 2016
    LK, I also like rat tails and 10-8 GI sights.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted