1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.
I have a Colt stainless XSE Commander. I have swapped out a few parts myself to make it work better for me. Now I’d like to go to the Thumb safety. It has the stock thumb safety on it, the teardrop type, but it’s not very big. My Thumb will sometimes slip on it or slip off. I’d like to get something better that would enable a much more confident use of the safety.

I have thought about one of the WW1 type and since I like the teardrop style, another one if those but one that has the pad sticking out a bit more than in my stock safety.

I have no idea who makes the wider teardrop safety but I have seen them on several builds. I’m hoping they’re not a custom fab part and that they’re available to everyone.
Anyone know?

If they are a custom made up part, which could I get to try and make one like that for myself? Is there one that the ‘smiths use as a base to make that safety?

If you know it other thumb safeties that you think I should check out, feel free to list them. I can use the advice and help.

Thank you all kindly for your time.
Larry

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Brownells.com search 1911 thumb safeties. There's wide range of safeties to be had.

When I was young and competing heavily, we all used the classic Swenson ambitious safety. I'm moving to the Wilson low safety because of arthritis which isn't an ambi.

·
Registered
57 Posts
John Harrison makes a really nice enhanced GI style safety. It’s a little wider but short. I have one installed on a GI inspired build and it’s a really nice piece but you’re hanging on to it more with the knuckle of your thumb, since it’s short, as opposed to the pad of your thumb. It worked for the “aesthetics” of the build and is totally useable, but it’s not comfortable to me, for extended periods. If that makes any sense. Both Wilson and EGW have WWI style safety’s but they’re all exact copies of the WWI so they won’t be wider. But with WWI style safety’s I tend to not ride my thumb on the safety at all.
I personally like longer and wider thumb safeties and most aftermarket safeties will give you a longer and wider pad. Like Ed Brown, EGW ect.
If you’re just looking for a thumb safety that has the a wider pad that goes farther back towards the beaver tail like your current tear drop, look at Stan Chen or Novak.
Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
I would say it’s a mid-mount. Between that and the shape, it’s in the perfect place, perfect angle for me
The non standard look takes some getting used to. I have it and the slide stop on my GI

View attachment 649957
After a lot of years of shooting hot ammo, it can take a toll. I've never used an extended slide stop, frankly I've never seen a need for one. But that's just me.

I'm actually riding my thumb under the safety which helps and my skill set allows it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Harrison Thumb Safety, the thinner option, and his Slide Stop are my favorites too. You can see the on the BA Custom in my avatar. EGW slide stops are my second choice. They offer a wide and thinner versions too.

·
Premium Member
26,474 Posts
After a lot of years of shooting hot ammo, it can take a toll. I've never used an extended slide stop, frankly I've never seen a need for one. But that's just me.

I'm actually riding my thumb under the safety which helps and my skill set allows it.
the slide stop matches, because wearing one red shoe and one green shoe looks funny.

Certainly not as experienced of a shooter as you are, I do rack the slide. I do shoot thumb over safety

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
the slide stop matches, because wearing one red shoe and one green shoe looks funny.

Certainly not as experienced of a shooter as you are, I do rack the slide. I do shoot thumb over safety
The only reason I'll ride my thumb under (and I do not do it regularly) is when it starts getting exceptionally painful. So adjust and adapt, or quit for the day.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Wilson BP and EGW seem to be very good. I had the Wilson put on my Colt worked great. I’m having the later put on one now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Crabby Old Gunsmith
1,234 Posts
Not a fan of the look of the thumb safety but it's got a cool concept behind it for fitting the downward travel. Much respect to John for doing that. The thumb safety has redeeming qualities. The slide stop, not so much.

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Not a fan of the look of the thumb safety but it's got a cool concept behind it for fitting the downward travel. Much respect to John for doing that. The thumb safety has redeeming qualities. The slide stop, not so much.
One simple issue made me a fan of the thumb safety.

Early IPSC match called "The junkyard jumble". You had to go through a series of tractor tires. In those days our 70 series had pinned grip safeties (no memory bumps in those days). Snagged my 70 series and just tugged to get free.

Watched my cocked and locked 70 series go sailing past. Of course I got DQed, but no AD or ND when it landed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts