Which Wilson parts?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by ssqman, Nov 19, 2018.

1. ssqman

ssqman New Member

Oct 26, 2018
    My family is getting me the Springfield Loaded for Christmas. I'm sure I don't want their 2 piece guide rod. I just got an email for Wilson having a sale. So, I want the standard GI guide rod and plug. (probably bullet proof model). Am I correct in thinking I can use the factory recoil spring? I also see they offer a kit with the GI guide rod, flat wire recoil spring and shock buff. Yup, here we go again. What does the flat wire offer over the regular? As usual, thanks for the education.

2. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    First part , yes I believe you should be able use factory spring with standard GI guide rod . Second , the flat wire spring's main advantage seems to be longevity . Wilson says 40,000 rounds . I put a 20 lb flat wire kit in my 1996 Wilson Protector . Functions fine , even with light loads . Just ordered one for my new to me CQB with 17 lb spring . They were on ebay for $20.00 , shipping included . When ever I get a used gun I like to put a new spring in it .

3. Whiskey Sour

Whiskey Sour Blossoming Addict

Apr 13, 2017
    The flat wire spring offers more service life, and it also needs the accompanying guide rod since the interior diameter of the spring is smaller than the regular GI guide rod and spring. If i were you I would get a regular GI guide rode, regular recoil spring, and no shock buff. The replacement recoil springs are less than $20 so to me it is not that big of a deal to replace them when needed. Although with everything in life; It's personal preference.

4. ssqman

ssqman New Member

Oct 26, 2018
    OK. Thanks for the info. I didn't know it was required to use a different diameter rod with the flat wire spring. I'm leaning towards just keeping it simple. Regular GI rod/spring. I guess I still have a few days left before the Wilson sale is over. Since I'm going to pay their shipping charge, are there any other Wilson springs, etc. I should order and keep the factory parts for spare? Looks like they have the 47D mags for about $26.

5. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    Look on ebay . I bought the whole flat wire spring kit , includes spring and guide rod for $20.00 shipped . Standard GI stuff is even cheaper .

xTeleDude likes this.
  6. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    Less than $20 for recoil spring? More like $7. Anyway, the flatwire setup is great for the 4" guns from Kimber, SAI, etc but, IMHO and non professional mind the GI recoil setup is perfect in the gov't model and what mine have always had. Throw the 2 piece SAI recoil setup away, keep the spring and source a GI guide rod, reassemble - done. Repeat after 1500 rounds, YMMV

7. 72-C10

72-C10 Member

Nov 24, 2018
    I have always used their magazines in all 1911's I have.

8. ssqman

ssqman New Member

Oct 26, 2018
    I ordered the Wilson bulletproof GI guide rod and spring plug. It came in yesterday. Tomorrow is Christmas! I'll get it installed and everything cleaned and lubed.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted