Votes: 17 32.1%
  • Winchester

Votes: 15 28.3%
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always wanted a lever action rifle. The Duke and the rifleman started it all. Question to you guys. Pick one of the three manufacturers please and add any comments you like such as caliber and length. Use ? Purely fun of ownership and a bit of range time. I am not a hunter. Thanks for your time.

·
NRA Life Member
1,020 Posts
Henry gets my vote for a couple of important reasons. Like RIS mentioned every part is made in the USA and their customer service is the best out there!!! I have a few 22LR a 22mag and a .357 there are many others i want but can't get everyone lol Henry has so many different models to choose from. You won't go wrong with a Henry

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
If old, Winchester.

If old and for hunting, Marlin.

If new / contemporary, Henry.

·
just one more
656 Posts
I have a jm stamped marlin and newer henry. The henry is nice but they are heavy. I agree w/ zoid on this one. 3030 is a classic but if your not a hunter it's rifle spendy to shoot. 22lr is dirt cheap but doesn't always feel like your shooting a rifle vs kids toy, for me it depends on the gun. (yeah I know they're all rifles lol)
I like the 357/38 I the middle as much as most anything else. It's not necessarily super expensive to shoot, can use either cartride and has a bit of a cool factor, especially when paired with a wheel gun.
good luck

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,608 Posts
I'd have a hard time just picking one. The Henry's are terrific rifles and great looking at reasonable prices. But the Winchester 94 is the iconic lever action (I have a 16" 30-30 Trapper model). However, the Marlin 336 series are tough as nails and the .45-70 Guide Gun has always been on my list of wants. And, although it's not one of your selections the Browning BLR is a beautiful gun and can be had in some serious calibers, my father-in-law had one in 30-06 that was an absolute tack driver....
So... yeah, sorry. It looks like I'm not going to be any help to you. Pardon me while I go look at lever guns on gunbroker.:)

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have the Winchester 9422, 22lr and the Winchester 1873 Case Colored Sporter Octagon in .357/.38. I have been really happy with both. I will say the older 39a Marlin's are really nice as well, hard to go wrong with those. The Winchester 22 pumps are also a ton of fun.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I recently picked up 2 Henry's both in 45-70. 1 is the scout style in hard chrome and the other more classic with dark wood, octagonal barrel and colored casing. If you are buying new, like many have mentioned, Henry is the way to go. I have heard the Marlin issues are few and far between (use to be really bad when remington first took over) but the henry fit and finish are hard to beat.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Sneaky- just like 1911s and revolvers, this is a slippery slope you are teetering on!

I’ve got lever actions from .22 to 45-70...

Marlin, Winchester (3 unfired still in box), Rossi and Browning.

I would suggest you get a Henry brass receiver in .357 to go with your .357 Ruger.

Easy to shoot, very good looking and lots of fun!

My dos centavos!

·
Registered
467 Posts
I've got a model 94 Winchester in 30-30 that I really love. I got it from my grandfather and I'm 52 years old. I think it was probably new in the '30s or '40s. It shoots great and I killed a few deer with it when I was younger. I think you can't go wrong with any of your choices but for me the definitive lever action is a Winchester.

·
What me worry ?
11,104 Posts
If you want to maximize your fun try a Marlin 1895 45-70 big boomer. !!!
D1549E80-05E6-4FE7-A760-DCEECDC39918.jpeg

I love my “Scout “
E1E60161-31EE-40FB-B97B-B65674E92E0F.jpeg

Fun to shoot and you can keep the Lions ,Tigers ,Bears, Elephants
And Rinos off your lawn .

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Marlin
Cause I've owned a bunch of them and have had really good fortune with them overall.
They're easy to slick the action up on and if I want easy to mount a scope.
Not as classic as the others but my favorite for sure
Have or had every caliber from 22 to 45-70

1 - 20 of 37 Posts