1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Not me! My duty pistol for the last 17 years was a .40, and when I compare it to shooting a 9mm, shooting more quickly and accurately isn’t even close. That’s just me. (Although my agency is switching to 9mm as we speak). I don’t hate .40, it’s just that 9mm is so much easier with more rounds. To each their own though!

·
Registered
895 Posts
I like 40 just fine. Very effective SD round and not bad for animal stuff either. I carry either a 9 or 45, but in my USP compact, the 40 is quite nice. Glock 40's have never been great, but my gen 4 40 is actually quite good and very comparable to my 17's. Very minor differences in recoil or capacity. In reality, unless you have an infirmity or something, there really isn't anything to choose between them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
.40 is a very under appreciated round. For example, you can run it in many 10mm hand guns for cheap practice ammo!
It's a great cartridge, but as with most higher pressure pistol cartridges, regular recoil driven tilt breach actions just aren't the best. The design could be made to work, but most manufacturers just bore out a 9mm and slap a stiffer recoil spring in and call it a day.
It would really come into its own if it was adapted into a modern PDW/SMG with a legit locked breach action. I would be more willing to run that setup than 300blk out of the 5.5 inch barrels everyone seems to be crazy about lately.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
The .40 S&W round still gets more carry, by me (G27.3), than any other caliber. Second most is the .38 Special (442). Why? After carrying them for years (both of those particular pistols have been regular carry, for over a decade), I’m confident in the system and my abilities. I have other options, but I tend to go with what I know and I know I don’t change things, just to change them.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I sold all my .40s. I didn't reload for the caliber and at the time didn't see any benefit to the 40. I don't hate it, just don't feel I need it.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts