close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Who Are These Posters Giving Me Advice?

Discussion in 'Announcements & Support' started by Earlsbud, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Earlsbud

Earlsbud Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 28, 2011
    Decision makers, should the gunsmiths (and those with extensive knowledge) have an honorary ID badge/icon (if they want) so readers can focus/hone in on their response when scrolling through posts? As this forums grows in population and more members post, it will become easier to miss WHO the responder is. A cue to key in on, and pay particular attention to, a poster with a professional background would be valuable to all. The PROS are a special forum asset and should be treated as such. New members who come here with questions will be able to easily identify who's response should be valued over/more than....mine for one. Of course everyone's opinion matters but I'll take log man, Joe C., Pistolwre(n)tch, 50GIJess, etc...etc.. over SpongeBob45 every time. No offense SpongeBob45.....

Okay, how many did I NOT mention out of ignorance? Exactly my point. "Swensonwrench? Who the hell is that?"

[​IMG]

cundiff5535 likes this.
  2. 230gr

230gr Member

Aug 23, 2011
    well if you do that why not just lock the gunsmithin' and any other forum so only the special people can reply and I'll just log out, delete the cookies and not be back. Point is, the so-called pro's aren't the only one's that know something and can help the other person. Or the only people that should be listened to. Do you bar Quack who's basically unqualified that I know of yet contributes like few others can? Or Knedrgr.

I like to help and will do so when I think I can...is that not the point of a "forum".

I reject the notion to there being a special class of peeps here.

nmbuzz likes this.

3. deadguy

deadguy Jim Nabors Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    I'm special and dog gone it people like me!

4. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Listen to me and you will be an expert in no time.

5. Hatter

Hatter Makes **** Move

Aug 23, 2011
    I agree that I'm not a fan of special people with different rights or anything like that. I do however like knowing who truly is a professional in the field.

I can see both sides of it... I think those who are the professionals are welcome to make it known in their sig line or tag line above their pic.

6. claire

claire Anger Management Graduate

Sep 22, 2011
    There needs to be a balance between the idiots and the experts otherwise you just have experts talking at each other seeing who can out-expert the other. JMHO :biggrin1:

claire

7. Metaloy

Metaloy Active Member

Sep 8, 2011
    I know everything and you know nothing. There...that settles it!! Next...:Cry:

Seriously though...I do believe it may be a decent idea to denote the pros in some way. The smiths, manufacturers, dealers, FFL's and such so they can enjoy a little more recognition as well as respect from others. It can identify them for the "go to" person or outfit. A simple banner similar to the 'admin' or 'moderator' For instance a banner that simply says, "Pistolsmith" or "Manufacturer".

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
    cundiff5535 likes this.
  8. Earlsbud

Aug 28, 2011
    (and those with extensive knowledge) In my short time here you stand out as someone I can learn from. A simple icon next to a smith's name wouldn't limit your ability to share your knowledge or opinion in any way. A revered Master Gunsmith's opinion does carry weight whether they have an icon next to their avatar or not. I'd just like to know who they are.

9. Earlsbud

Aug 28, 2011
    Chris you said it better than I was able to. You have your "shingle" displayed nicely but a lot don't. As more and more people use mobile devices with smaller screens adding an ID/Icon will become even more valuable.

10. Metaloy

Metaloy Active Member

Sep 8, 2011
    But heres the other thing...

Many people that may be new to the 1911 world don't know whos who yet. So again something to direct there attention to the fact that a certain peson may know 'more' than your average dude can be helpful as well.

Reminds me of a story my wife tells...while riding the train to CO in the 80's she sat with a man for dinner and many people were coming up to him for autographs. Later she found out it was John Madden. She had no clue...

John asked a little boy that had just got Johns autograph if the little boy wanted 'her' autograph as well. Little boy said, "Are you somebody too?"

11. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Protip: Check the signature.

Respectfully,
    Blayglock

12. Earlsbud

Aug 28, 2011
    The problem with that is it's not always clear. A link to Earlsbud Precision might be a Cuckoo Clock Company. LOL! Most people won't click on a sig line link anyway.

13. Blayglock

Aug 18, 2011
    I was funnin ya. Dont think it's a bad idea actually to have an SME badge.

14. Earlsbud

Aug 28, 2011
    I'm adding Earlsbud Custom to my sig line with a bogus link to Kokopelli's email.

15. Blayglock

Aug 18, 2011
    Lol that will teach him

16. 230gr

230gr Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I wouldn't mind see the real pistolsmith's having a prominent badge/indentifier or something like that. I did often think on TOOS site that if you were new around there, you didn't know who to I guess trust, so they'd post and some other noob would jump in with the I know I'm right kind of response. I did/do think that it led to the pro's who do take the time to offer *free* help to back off a bit because well they'd get their toes stepped on a little bit or just be disregarded.

17. deadguy

deadguy Jim Nabors Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    I have and still do in fact click on their personal websites when I see them and want to see if there are updates. The link is beneficial IMO and does in fact separate them in a way.

A badge or banner or little set of files by their name would be cool as well. It's good for those that don't know.

18. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011

An emphatic +1

19. Earlsbud

Aug 28, 2011
    How'd you do that?

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted