Who can Bobtail my new 1911

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by bsdubois00, Oct 29, 2011.

1. bsdubois00

bsdubois00 Member

Aug 26, 2011
    The title pretty much says it all. Looking to get a Sig 1911 bobtail'd - who does quality work? Pics?

Thanks

2. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011

3. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    I'll post pics in a few weeks,........I'm going to bob' my Delta!

4. ArmyVetSgt.Adkins

ArmyVetSgt.Adkins U.S. Army Vet

Sep 2, 2011
    Just had my Colt done by Dave Helton,Awesome work fast turn around time

5. bsdubois00

bsdubois00 Member

Aug 26, 2011
    I hear Dave only works half the year though- anyone know if this is his on or off half LOL

6. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Did someone say Dave Helton bobtail?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think he has closed up shop for the winter. He snowbirds.

7. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Get a jig and do it yerself! :thumb:

8. joeg0812

joeg0812 New Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Like those grips. Who did them?

[​IMG]

9. bsdubois00

bsdubois00 Member

Aug 26, 2011
    He is indeed closed - sent an email and got a reply 2 min later.

Guess i'll keep it as is till April

10. Trent

Trent Site Founder Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    Use Lou from Business End Customs. He a sponsor here, and is the one doing my build I was telling you about. He will get it bobbed, and re-coated in no time!

11. GM*

GM* ~

Oct 15, 2011
    Did you call SIG and ask about it? It might be the only way to do not void the warranty.

12. bsdubois00

bsdubois00 Member

Aug 26, 2011
    People call and ask if its OK before doing work on it?

Now thats just a crazy thought there....

13. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Sig won't do a bobtail on it... or at least I would doubt it highly.

The way most CS friendly companies view things like that, is the warranty is only affected if the part you modified is what broke or is what is causing your malfunctions.

14. bsdubois00

bsdubois00 Member

Aug 26, 2011
    I couldnt see where a Bob would void the warranty - and frankly if it does ill just send it to someone to fix....all while writing a nice post on a few forums about it ;-)

15. GM*

GM* ~

Oct 15, 2011
    Well, it perhaps is a crazy thought, but I rather know about how it is before voiding the warranty than after doing it; if you call SIG you do not need to tell them your name. I think that altering the firearm in that way will void the warranty. I am glad I read the warranty policy on their website before I got my P220 refinished:

When I got my Commander bobtailed the only way to do not void the warranty was letting Colt do the job.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  16. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    Warranty's are a-bit like putting those plastic seat covers on your nice fabric car seats.. Don't put slot of stock in pistol warranty's.. Personally I feel that if a pistol holds up for 250-500 rounds it'll most likely hold up foraslong as I need. JMO.. Ron

17. GM*

GM* ~

Oct 15, 2011
    If you do not care about the warranty then it is not problem.

What will you write, that you totally ignored the warranty policy?

18. bsdubois00

bsdubois00 Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Explain to me how bobbing a frame could cause malfunctions and other issues with a pistol? Extractor issues or things like that

19. Trent

Trent Site Founder Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    Refinishing your gun will void the warranty? What a joke. Bottom line is respectable companies will honor the warranty and fix the problems without problem in almost every case. That being said, I agree with Ron.

20. GM*

GM* ~

Oct 15, 2011
    I cannot explain why the policy is in the way it is; I just know how it was when I wanted to refinish the P220, and when I bobtailed the Commander. I have sent several firearms to do custom works and it has always been the same story, the only way to do not void the warranty was to let the manufacturer do the job. Can you explain to me how refinishing the frame could cause malfunctions with a pistol and void the warranty?

I imagine that if the frame get cracked they could say that it happened because of the bobtailing. I do not know, I am just speculating; I did not write the warranty policy, I am just letting you know what can happen so you are aware of it before doing the job. It is your firearm and your decision.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted