Who has Owned These Low-end 1911s?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot, Jan 10, 2019.

1. TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot I do not consent.

Dec 28, 2017
    https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2018/12/15/6-affordable-1911s-under-500/

A six-pack of low-end, low-cost 1911s published in Shooting Illustrated. This is a list, with a little description. Not a review.

Some people don’t have $1,000 or $2,000 or $4,000 or more for a 1911. And some people who do now didn’t always have it.

There are probably members here who have owned one or more of the models on this list at some point. And maybe others at the same price point.

So let’s hear what 1911s have you owned in the sub-$500 price range and what did you think about them? (Let’s try to stay in the spirit of the budget and not unfairly compare to much more expensive guns.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

xTeleDude and PewPewPtwang like this.
  2. HOTCHKIS

HOTCHKIS NRA Life Member

Apr 21, 2013
    The most inexpensive I own is a Springfield RO

simonp and TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot like this.

3. xTeleDude

xTeleDude Active Member

Apr 20, 2017
    I have and still shoot a Taurus PT1911 in 9mm & a Rock Island 9mm/22TCM. Both have been flawless other than nose diving with one of the Taurus magazines that fixed its self by the third loading when I started to make sure to slap the back of the magazine.
    I was hooked on the platform the first time I shot one when the owner of the range lent me his for a few minutes. Here's a guy that has well over 200 handguns at his disposal and his EDC is a Rock Island.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot likes this.
  4. RN47

RN47 I'm just here for the gas. Supporting Addict

Feb 22, 2018
    I owned a Citadel / Armscor 1911 Government in .45 ACP, and it was honestly a terrific shooting gun. It's what started my obsession...I still wish I kept that one!

5. Patton2018

Patton2018 Member

Nov 8, 2018
    Same here, but i had the Citadel in 9mm.

6. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    Hell, they don’t even mention the Tisas. Picked one up for $360 through Buds and it’s never jammed or had an issue once.

7. apipeguy

apipeguy Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2014
    May not count as I bought this for my youngest daughter for her first 1911. An old Rock Island for 250. Did a little work on it and it functions flawlessly and is worth far more than what was spent on it. Only downfall is that it still has the little GI sights, but really is a tack driver. And she did catch the 1911 disease from it.

8. BennyAdeline

BennyAdeline Official Hi-Point Brand Representative

Nov 26, 2018
    I’ve owned an RIA GI and Compact

Both ran like hot gravy. I was always impressed.

9. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    I've owned a couple of RIAs a long while back, don't have them anymore. I've bought some used Colts and Springfields for under five bills. Just bought the $275 OC Arms 1911 from Tyler just because it was so cheap. Personally, I'd rather buy used name brand guns cheap than cheap guns new.

And, IMO, low buck 1911s are great for plinkers and fun guns but if you're looking for a carry gun you're better off buying something like a Glock, XD, M&P, etc., with your $500 than a cheap foreign 1911.

PewPewPtwang and KS95B40 like this.
  10. BloodyBill

BloodyBill Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 1, 2017
    I have an RIA full size in 9mm that didn't begin well. In the first 70 rounds fired I had 30 malfunctions. I complained strongly to RIA CS and sent them the gun. After about 3 weeks they sent me a new one that had been generally cleaned and tuned. Guns still shoots great. But by the time I finished tweaking it, I had as much money in upgrades as the cost of the pistol. Sp now I have an expensive RIA, lol.

11. KS95B40

KS95B40 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Aug 16, 2017
    I agree with this completely.

Most of my guns were acquired used, I have seven (and a frame) 1911s and only two of those were purchased new.

If I am limited to $500 for a 1911 then I can definitely get more for my money buying used.

I do not own any high end 1911s, I have 3 Colts (used)
    2 SA (used)
    1 Kimber (new)
    1 Fusion (new)
    1 Fusion frame (new)

I had a SA GI that I bought new but it is now in my son’s possession.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    WC145 likes this.
  12. Apollo99

Apollo99 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2017
    I don't own, but regularly shoot the RIA and the Taurus. Both of them owned by friends of mine. After a complete replacement WC spring kit, and a little internal massaging and smoothing, they improved greatly from their stock form. Now I can't speak about their longevity, but they are fairly accurate and since the springs and massaging, they seem to function perfectly. So I say if you want to go inexpensive, and don't mind a little polishing and smoothing of internals, I see nothing wrong with these two mentioned 1911s.

13. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    Citadel ( Armscor ) , 9 mm . 5 incher . Kills me to say it , it's been just as accurate and reliable as either of my Wilsons .

14. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    Same here though in fairness I only bought it as a base gun for a build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

15. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    I have an ATI GI model I picked up for sub $400 and it has and does function perfectly. I bought it as a toy to modify and I did some machine work on it then Steve Owens helped me by finishing up the mechanicals and finish!!

It’s a great gun

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot and Raven312 like this.
  16. BloodyBill

BloodyBill Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 1, 2017
    My only complaint with RIA guns is they're too damn heavy.

Chief1297 likes this.
  17. pistolpete

pistolpete Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2016
    I have a 9MM Citadel, it's been a fun gun. I did a mild trigger job, got rid of the huge bat wing ambi safety, and shot the heck out of it. It has a lot of slop at the bbl hood. The ejector broke at about 3000 rounds. I installed thick EGW bushing. It is fun to shoot and didn't cost a lot of money so I wasn't afraid to tinker with it, I also inst. an extended mag release. The gun is plenty accurate for IDPA type shooting. IT is not the same quality as a Colt or even a Kimber gun but is well worth the money.

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot and RN47 like this.
  18. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    I love that line - I hope to be able to use it in the future.
    I haven't owned one of their 1911s, but I did own a Taurus 92 that I bought in the 1980s. I must say that gun was fantastic. Ate everything I ever fed it - fmj and hollowpoints, including Egyptian surplus submachine gun ammo! I sold it last year because I hadn't shot it in years and the guy who bought it was thrilled at finding an older Taurus. Now, the .22 revolver I had from them was a different story.
    Jeff

19. Renegade4006

Renegade4006 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2018
    A Taurus PT1911 that I bought used for $450 a few years ago. It was my first 1911 and really got me interested 1911's. Has been a very good pistol and I still own it.

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot likes this.
  20. gps man

gps man Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2015
    The least expensive 1911 I have had was an STI Spartan in
    45acp.

It was $525 on sale.

WC145 and TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted