1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking into drastically changing my carry setup for sometime. The more I look at professionals who are extremely serious about defense (Craig Douglas, Kyle Defoor, Ballistic Radio Crew, others) the more I notice they carry a fixed blade knife near the center line of their body. It seems to be an extremely fast option to deal with threats within arms reach, to fight for your ability to draw, for weapons retention, and for "Non-permissive environments" or places you can't carry a firearm for whatever reason.

I have mild experience at best with this. I carried a small Ka-Bar TDI knife while overseas so that I could retain my M9 if someone had a mind to take it from me. That being said, I've never trained with it outside of a few practice draws.

Some of you are probably thinking that a fixed blade knife is useless for EDC and defense. I understand why you think that already, please feel free to open a thread about it. It is a lethal option (which can be legal) that requires training and knowledge. Just like a firearm. Point taken.

If you do carry a fixed blade as part of your EDC, what is the blade and sheath? I've looked at possibly using the TDI, the Clinch Pick, and a few others out there.

-Cory

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
2,310 Posts
KIMG0235 (1).JPG

I posted this on another thread, but I carry the K-Bar centerline and the ZT in a pocket, and the 1911 at 3-330. The sheath for the K_Bar is their Kydex style sheath.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First off, that's a hell of a carry piece, and hell of a set of defensive tools. Awesome.

My KaBar was the smaller TDI with serrations (Only option at that PX). I modified their sheath a bit for a better hold with my index finger. The spring steel clip broke after I got home from deployment. It now has a plastic mollee attachment doohickey on it. I guess I should snap a picture at some point.

Right now I carry a SOG Twitch II, small folding knife in my pocket. It's a handy little tool. Whatever I run centerline would be purely defensive.

-Cory

·
2,310 Posts
Cory, Check out Tops knives EDC section. They have some really nice stuff on there.

Reactions: cor_man257

·
Banned
0 Posts
I carry a 3 in. custom made dirk (sharp on both sides) in Damascus steel. It rides in the 3 o'clock position in a custom inside the waistband sheath. It is a very fast and deadly knife, with no wasted motion as it cuts going both ways

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
I've just transitioned to this. From a bit larger fixed blade at the 3 o'clock position.
I have this as an option also but it's just a bit wide to carry horizontal for me.
Check out MilMak AZ web site. He made the two knives above and has a model called the Time Buyer that pretty cool also.

http://www.recoilweb.com/shot16-milmakaz-cutlery-84447.html

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
I carry a 3 in. custom made dirk (sharp on both sides) in Damascus steel. It rides in the 3 o'clock position in a custom inside the waistband sheath. It is a very fast and deadly knife, with no wasted motion as it cuts going both ways
Any chance for pics? That sounds like something to ogle over!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't carry my KaBar TDI as an EDC. Mostly because I think to carry anything in the appendix region I need a new belt. My Blackhawk riggers belt served me pretty well when I wore a uniform and hung a handgun, magazine, multitool, and a bunch of other crap off it. At the time the big buckle was a pain in the ass but I never imagined it getting in the way. I bought it because it was the sturdiest belt Ft. Drum had.

I think my TDI could be a good EDC knife, but only with a different belt and better sheath. I did modify the sheath it came with so I could get a "full firing grip" on it better. It ain't pretty, but it doesn't have any burrs when you grab it, and I can get my index (or pinky) in place.

-Cory
KaBar TDI (1).JPG
KaBar TDI (2).JPG
KaBar TDI (3).JPG

·
2,310 Posts
I don't carry my KaBar TDI as an EDC. Mostly because I think to carry anything in the appendix region I need a new belt. My Blackhawk riggers belt served me pretty well when I wore a uniform and hung a handgun, magazine, multitool, and a bunch of other crap off it. At the time the big buckle was a pain in the ass but I never imagined it getting in the way. I bought it because it was the sturdiest belt Ft. Drum had.

I think my TDI could be a good EDC knife, but only with a different belt and better sheath. I did modify the sheath it came with so I could get a "full firing grip" on it better. It ain't pretty, but it doesn't have any burrs when you grab it, and I can get my index (or pinky) in place.

-Cory
View attachment 38871 View attachment 38872 View attachment 38873
Cory, that's a nice little knife. I think any Kydex guy could make you a fairly reasonable sheath for that. As far as belts go, you saw my EDC post (I also wear a two mag pouch with two 8 rounders). Here's the belt I wear daily and it is comfortable and deals with the weight of my stuff really well.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/tuff-9011-ez-feed-belt.html

Reactions: cor_man257

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cory, that's a nice little knife. I think any Kydex guy could make you a fairly reasonable sheath for that. As far as belts go, you saw my EDC post (I also wear a two mag pouch with two 8 rounders). Here's the belt I wear daily and it is comfortable and deals with the weight of my stuff really well.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/tuff-9011-ez-feed-belt.html
I can't say I remember exactly what your carry setup is, beyond you toting that awesome 1911, and that fugly (functional ugly) KaBar.

I'm evaluating a lot of stuff at the moment for a carry setup change. Belts, holsters, knives, sheaths, mag carriers, weapon lights... I'll make a note of the belt. I have a few others I've been looking at as well. It'll be awhile before I'm actually ready to make the changes. That gives me some time to compare with a few others, and to try to grasp how all the different changes will work together.

-Cory

·
Registered
740 Posts
Just got an Izula from Esee. I have an Esee -3 I carry when I am up in the mountians doing some work on our vacation spot. Very solid knives. Nothing flashy, just performance. Grabbed the Izula for a little smaller carry option. The plastic sheath that comes with it is a little large so I am thinking of having a nice IWB leather one made for it locally.

·
Premium Member
1,024 Posts
I carry a small TDI in my front pocket. Reason is that when I am standing somewhere and a gun is not a good idea, lines at gas stations etc, I just put my hand in my pocket and have the knife. If needed it is out fast and I am not telegraphing anything. The sheath that it comes with is good for this once you take the metal off.

ETA, I also have a small front pocket wallet, so once I get to the point of paying I just pull out my wallet.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I carry an Izula II from Esee as well -- been carrying this knife everyday for a few years now

It sits on my belt, horizontally, at 11:00 -- I used the plastic sheath that comes with it and wrapped/tied it to my belt with Paracord -- I can remove it from my belt but I never do

·
Registered
461 Posts
My knife IQ and level of training isn't half of what my firearms abilities are in the same regard, but just in case, I pretty commonly throw a fixed blade SOG Seal Pup that was made when the factory was still based in Seki, Japan (hard to scoff at fabled Japanese steel) in my bag or my pocket. I like the size and the fact that it's a fixed blade made from quality parts during a reputable companies peak of production.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts