1911 Firearm Addicts banner

Who makes a single stack 9mm 1911 that is red dot ready?

23K views 39 replies 28 participants last post by  USMCCURRY 
#1 ·
Gentlemen.

I am in search of guidance. I have transitioned almost entirely to pistol optics and would like a quality 9mm single stack to add to my rotation.

here’s the kicker

‘I don’t want to spend an arm and a leg on it

I am aware of the offerings by nighthawk and Ed brown and wilson to a certain extent, but they are all north of $4000

I have a staccato-p that i really like. Unfortunately it would appear that, living in Virginia, I am soon to be limited to 10 round magazines in that gun which kind of defeats the purpose of the 2011

I’d like to find a quality single stack 1911 for roughly the same price range as the staccato....so figure $2500

Does such a beast exist?

I guess I could trade the staccato towards a brown or nighthawk and pay the difference? Anyone have a brown or nighthawk red dot ready 1911 and want a staccato-p duo with 11 total magazines, with cash from me to cover the remaining difference in price?

See less See more
#8 ·
Gotcha. It’s just weird to me that STI is making the staccato at that price point, but no one makes a single stack for the same.

ive seen the kimbers. I’ve just had too many bad kimbers in the past to trust them. Springfield has a 10mm offering for the rmr, but only 10mm, which is also weird to me.

#13 ·
I have a staccato-p duo with an optic. I love it. I want a single stack version, which it would appear STI is about to provide. As it stands right now your only “factory” option In single stack 9mm is Kimber (<$1000) or nighthawk/Guncrafter/Ed brown (>$4000). There isn’t a whole lot in between. Sounds like STI is about to solve that problem

I love my staccato-p duo, but it seems likely that this time next year there will be a magazine capacity ban in Virginia. Kind of a waste to own a 2011 if you can only have 10 round mags

#15 · (Edited)
I have a lot of expierence with haveinng slides milled.

The first attempt, I called Dan Wesson and asked if I could order one already milled. The answer was , no buy the gun and send us the slide. I emailed them asking what sights they could mill the slide for. Trijicon RMR was the only one. $200.00 for labor plus shipping to them. So I did. Sent the slide to be milled for a Trijicon SRO whih takes the same footprint as the RMR. I was asked "Where is the mounting plate?" I said I don't want a mounting plate. They said we can't mount it with out a plate, so I said send my slide back unmilled.

I sent a different slide and sight to Primary Machine. They milled my slide for a Burris FF III and put some kind of finish on my slide. Creocote? The milling job was excellent and the whole job cost $175.00 plus my shipping to them.

Next I purchased a Fusion mounting plate and filed the sight off it. I do not want co witness sights, I use these guns for games.

I sent another slide (PM-9) to Dan wesson along with the plate. Got a response. "We can't mill for a fusion plate, only a Trijion Plate (which has co witness sight) So I said "Send the slide back unmilled."

Next was Chambers. I asked through a PM on here and Joe said yes we will mount our plate and mill off the sight. purchased the plate for $125.00 and paid his machine shop $150.00 plus shipping for a beautiful job.

The last one I sent the whole gun for Accurails. I sent a Gunsmith fit Kart NM barrel. When I was talking to him, I asked about milling the slide for an SRO if I sent the plate. He said I don't need a plate. In the letter enclosed with the gun, I said if you can mount that trijicon with out a plate I will buy you a beer.

The gun is done, he sent a picture along with the invoice and a note saying I owe him a beer! Milling was $125.00. No plate needed.

I was told the Trijicon needs a plate because its wider than a 1911 slide.

The gun gets here MONDAY and I have a match monday night.

The two with Burris FF III have a white line on the back of the sight. It lines up with the front sight so its sort of co witness. You can put the dot on the front sight and it will be right on POI. I did this once shooting steel pins. The dot went out and I kept on shooting and hitting them.

The SRO is too tall. No front sight in view which is fine with me. I shoot steel bowling pins and Bullseye wit these guns.

I don't want co witness sights because the front sight is so tall sticking up like a fence post. My carry guns have CT laser grips and tritium night sights.

David

I live in Western NY state. It was a 7 round limit. They fixed it to 10 round magazines +1. Anything more is illegal. Makes a 45 look really good.

#16 ·
There's still hope for Virginia. There are already ten 2nd amendment "sanctuary counties" and twelve more in the process. Unfortunately, all of these counties are rural counties and there's little hope for "northern" Virginia and the Richmond area - the source of our problems for the past several years. The high cap magazine ban will be next to impossible to enforce throughout most of the state. As I told one left-leaning resident here, magazines aren't registered and don't have serial numbers, New York and other states with hi-cap bans haven't had much success in "confiscating" them.

Reactions: simonp
#17 ·
#25 ·
Do you have a contact for Chambers ? Thanks
I like the Chambers plate unless want to run a SRO or the new HD RMR as you will loose rear sight. I went another plate system on my latest to run a SRO.

Here is the thread about it

Nothing wrong with Chambers plate, I like it the best if I was running a RDS without front overhang.

#31 ·
Kimber has two models with either optic cuts or optic included. I went a different rout. I sent my DW Valor slide to C&H Precision along with my Holosun sight. They did a great job and installed my sight. The cut was as low as physical possible. Their mount has the rear sight made into it. I had measured the height of my rear sight from the bottom of the slide to the top of the sight. After I got my slide back I did the same measurement and added that to the height of my front sight. Then I ordered a new front sight from Dawson Precision. Check them out.
C&H Precision Weapons

#38 ·
I ordered a fiber optic front from Dawson Precision. .305” tall x .100” wide. This was my thought. My original sights were set perfect. So, I measured the height of my rear adjustable sight from the bottom of the slide. After receiving my milled slide, I again measured the height of the new interval rear sight to the bottom of the slide. Then added the difference between the old and new rear sights to my original front sight. Worked out perfectly for me. Hope that helps.