Who makes an aftermarket stainless barrel for the Kimber Ultra Carry models?

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Nakanokalronin, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I'm looking to buy a replacement stainless Ultra Carry barrel if one even exists outside of Kimber themselves. Reason being, it's my current EDC for winter and the only reason my barrel hasn't stared rusting yet is because I do a regular wipe down of Barricade once a week. There may be some products that will keep it from rusting but I'd rather just nip it at the barrel itself instead of babying the one that's in there now. My only other option would be to get it NP3 coated but that might effect the fit. Why Kimber just dosn't use stainless or plated barrels for all of their models is beyond me.

2. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    Personally,I would have the pistol coated in NP3 Rogard,or hard chrome.

I am pretty certain with the shop's reputation that you will not have a problem with fit and function when it leaves their hands,Rogard has been around for a while.

Hell,we have a member on this forum(Chris) whose company,METALOY,produces a great hard chrome finish.

You have a lot of choices when it comes to corrosion resistant finishes.

DAT85

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011

3. Mechanized

Mechanized He's a large "member" Supporting Addict

Sep 24, 2011
    I wouldn't worry about it before it became a problem IMHO. It's not critical and my belief is you should go through your gun once a week any way. 416r AKA stainless Isn't my first choice of material for a barrel. None of my barrels are 416r and none of them show rust. I also don't use hi end lubes on my guns. 90w mixed with alittle clp. Why pay 300 for a new barrel and bushing if there is no need to. Not a guarantee that your barrel will rust as others have. If you still choose a new barrel I recommend a Kart or a kart. It isn't stainless. As for coating the gun look up lou at Buisness end customs or metalloy.

4. Nakanokalronin

Aug 17, 2011
    Kart dosn't make a ramped barrel for the Ultra Carrys and after looking around, it seems nobody does. My first Ultra Carry had some rust issues with the barrel even if it was wiped downed,oiled, not touched and put in a safe with a dri-rod and gel packs all over the place.

I think I'll just go the NP3 plus route for $65.

5. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    You can try to give Jarvis Inc. a call and see what they can do for you.

The coating is a good idea.

6. Nakanokalronin

Aug 17, 2011
    Thanks for the replies and link. Seems kinda much for what I want the barrel for. The $65 for NP3 Plus sounds a little bit better. :wink:

7. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    no problem, just putting it out there.

8. Spokes

Spokes Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 18, 2011
    Now you guys got me worried, going to my gun room to check out my KImber barrels....

9. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
  10. Spokes

Spokes Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 18, 2011
    Just came back. Checked my Kimber's they are just as purty and shiny as the day I bought them....

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted