1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll apologize in advance for not having photos. My Springfield Professional is not with me at the moment as I type this.

It came with the six 7-round mags in "white" metal, with polymer basepads as it was supposed to.
I know these are not Wilson 47D mags, which would have polymer followers and a rounded rear feed-lip area.
These mags have the more "universal "squared-off" rear feed lip area (again,sorry for the lack of pics) along with metal followers.
My Professional was made in 2016.
I've read one source the Professionals changed from Wilson mags to Metalform mags.
But I've also read on various forums Checkmate-brand mags were shipped, too.

Perhaps if somebody could please tell me if there are any marks or signs to look for or even tell me there's no definitive way to determine a difference in manufacturer for these magazines.

Also, it's Sunday while I'm thinking of this and cannot call Springfield today, if they'd even be able to answer.

Thanks in advance. In the next couple of days, if I remember to do so, I could post photos of my mags, just not today.

· Premium Member
260 Posts
All of my recent Springfield 1911s came with the Mec-gar mags. I find that Ed Brown and Wilson mags work well to fill the need for additional magazines.

· Registered
9,789 Posts
my 9mm mags are mcCormick 9mms

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm thinking my magazines, which came with my Professional, are also Check-Mate, based on the follower.
I don't think there's any specific markings on the mags, but will disassemble one and examine it more closely.

I suppose this is going to be one of the those proprietary-info things which it seems many/most 1911 makers do with magazines regarding the mags' actual source. I'd thought with the Professional model it was to be more transparent, but perhaps that was more when the FBI contract was still in effect (which I believe has expired, now in 2022 or even 2016, when mine was made. Even so, mine is a commercially packaged "CRG" prefixed gun, anyway.)

As I personally don't have the knowledge, education, or training, to know what'd be involved in manufacturing, I wouldn't even know if it'd be prudent for the 1911 companies to make their own mags in-house. I was just assuming 1911 mags were contracted-out to companies which specialize in 1911 mags (like Check-Mate, Metalform, Mec-Gar, or others).

· Registered
2,607 Posts
It’s no secret.

The initial Professionals came with Wilson Conbat, then Metalform. Neither if those lasted very long before they went with Checkmate. Through the vast majority of the SACS Pro life, the Checkmates came with them.

Here is a link to the same mags:

You can also get the same base pad and mag body with different feed lips and follower:

Here is the link, from Springfield Armory (they make extra money):

This is all for .45 ACP. I don’t know about the 9mm’s.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Post 9, thank you for the well-referenced post.
I don't know much about how feed-lips would affect my various 1911s but it's good to know I can buy hybrid or wadcutter feed-lips should I want or need to do so.
Those photos with the hybrid show exactly came with my Springfield Professional and after reading up on the gun, from various articles on the internet, I began to get confused as I only read about the Wilson, then Metalform mags. Then various posters on various forums over the years said they had Check-Mate mags, which seems to be what Springfield has been shipping for some years now.

I did strip down one of those mags which came with the "Pro" and the only marking I saw was a small "S" on the follower.

I'm pretty-well stocked right now with various brands of mags which all work & feed well in the "Pro" (Tripp, McCormick, Wilson, [I think a few 8-round Check-Mate, too] some made for 8-rounds, others for 7-rounds, and a few 10-rounders (Wilson and McCormick), and now these Check-Mate 7-rounders.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.