Who Makes the Best CCO Right Now?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Nalajr, Dec 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Nalajr

Nalajr Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Hey all,

I love the 1911. Right now the only ones I have is a NRM Blued Colt and an XSE Colt Commander. One type of 1911 that I have wanted for a while now is the CCO. I love the feel, the balance in the hand and they also look mighty nice, if you ask me.

What I'd like to do is pick one up in the first half of 2019 as kind of a Christmas, New Years and birthday present all rolled into one for myself.

I'd like to get some ideas and suggestions on what CCO's I need to put on my list to look into.

I don't know how you all feel about this, but because I would carry it on occasion, I would like it to have an Aluminum frame. I'll gladly take an all steel frame if it is better than, and more affordable than, any others I can find.

What CCO's do you prefer or would not hesitate to recommend to a friend or family member if they came to you asking these questions of you?

One issue that I am kinda on the fence about is whether I'd want one that has a 4 inch barrel instead of a true Commander length barrel and slide that measures 4.25 inches such as:
    1. The Kimber CDP Compact or plain Compact
    2. SIG Navy Compact
    3. SIG C3 Compact
    4. Any of the Springfield models with the "commander" length slide and barrel.
    And so on.

I like the Colt Gunsite model as well as the Wiley Clapp, but I don't know if they are available any more.
    I think Fusion makes a CCO too, which can be bought in a "kit" type form where the owner can assemble it himself, or herself too. Rock Island also makes a CCO and lastly, there's an CCO made by American Classic called the Compact Commander. They look pretty darned good to me. I've never seen one in person though and have read a while back that they aren't able to keep the dealers stocked up on them.

I'd really appreciate it if you could give me any info you can, or are able, on these CCO's.

Unfortunately I cannot pick up a phone, call Nighthawk, Wilson Combat, Ed Brown or individual makers and order one.
    I might end up buying a "kit" and assembling my very own CCO. I wouldn't mind doing that at all. I've batted the idea around my head many times and have came close to buying. Something always ends up stopping me from doing it though.
    Naturally the main focus for me would be to carry it.

If you all don't mind, and have the spare time, would you care to give me your thoughts and ideas on which CCO would be a great choice?

Also, what's your thoughts on the Fusion "kits" or parts to build up your 1911 with?

Thank you all very kindly. I really appreciate you taking time out of your christmas Eve to share your thoughts and ideas.

Larry

2. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    Dan Wesson Valkyrie or Vigil depending on your budget and wanted features.

3. azguy1911

azguy1911 Screw it, I'm buying more 1911's

Oct 22, 2015
    For a few more dollars Dan Wesson is unbeatable ;)

4. johnb62

johnb62 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2012
    This!!

5. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    In this case your first answer will be your best answer.

Addicted2gunz and ImperialBlade like this.
  6. Colorado Sonny

Colorado Sonny Deo Volente Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
  7. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    Wilson combat CQB compact
    It’s awesome and what I carry!

Or you can go the DW route to

8. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    I have the Wilson and had Don Williams build me a Colt CCO which is one of my favorites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wcanterbury and ImperialBlade like this.
  9. 12VMan

12VMan Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    I'll add another vote to the Dan Wesson bandwagon.

10. Addicted2gunz

Addicted2gunz Undecided on whether or not I'm indecisive... Supporting Addict

Jul 14, 2018
    In your price range, Dan Wesson can't be beat in my opinion! 20181218_175542.jpg

wcanterbury, WWB and WHEELS like this.
  11. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    The new CCP WMGCCO is pretty awesome...but I'm biased.

IMG_20181214_162123_973.jpg

cgff, ronin11, Steve B and 7 others like this.
  12. Sapper

Sapper Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 25, 2014
    I’m in the process of breaking in a Baer Stinger right now. However if Baers are something you don’t have experience with pick up a DW

13. Jollyroger1

Jollyroger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2015
    Joe C likes this.
  14. Guy Montag

Guy Montag Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2014
    [​IMG]

Sumbitch!!:thumbs:

Joe, is that the .38 Super?

Jollyroger1, 1L26 and Joe C like this.
  15. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    Yes. We've been hiding it for a while now. Probably take some pics and post them later this week. I'm pretty sure @Steve B wants to see pics...seeing as the first one is his.

ronin11, Steve B, FWoo45 and 2 others like this.
  16. Guy Montag

Guy Montag Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2014
    Gotcha Joe, thanks for the info and Merry Christmas!

Joe C likes this.
  17. AJP

AJP Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2017
    I really like the Wilson CCO, with their carry beavertail it is just a sweet package. The DW Vigil's are undoubtedly the best bang for the buck. I also like the Colt Wiley Clapp CCO's with a couple little mods. Here is my old Colt CCO for reference.
    AJ cco and valor.jpg

cgff, ronin11 and 1L26 like this.
  18. BradE

BradE Active Member

Jun 19, 2018
    C683028A-4030-4471-A7F6-15674E64452F.jpeg Brimstone from Alchemy Custom Weaponry is a CCO size gun. This one is mine, it’s been awesome so far. Extremely well made piece.

ronin11, 1L26, 45ACP_ray and 3 others like this.
  19. jaydoc

jaydoc i'm riding a turtle!

Aug 10, 2012
    Nalajr,
    I never read your posts-they are too fawking long!
    The answer to your question depends on your price point- Colt<Dan Wesson<Wilson<Chambers WMG

Also consider Guncrafter No Name CCO

FWoo45 likes this.
  20. HOTCHKIS

HOTCHKIS NRA Life Member

Apr 21, 2013
    2996B76E-7465-4ECE-85F4-9836BD4ECD99.jpeg 9FBD0CEB-E291-4B46-85DC-96888DE435FC.jpeg Happy with my SACS CCO. Just realized it has a Novak rear sight.

Steve B, 1L26 and simonp like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted