1911 Firearm Addicts banner

Which gun offers the best all around value at it's given price point?

• Combat Precision - $6,000 est

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bunker Arms - $8,500 est

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because everyone loves polls, why not another one. So the criteria for this poll is custom and boutique builders that offer new builds using all new parts. No rebuilds for the purpose of this discussion. And no semantics on custom vs semi-custom lol.

All prices listed in the poll are MSRP per the builders website or based on recent quotes. BEC and Combat Precision are slightly estimated for their most inexpensive basic build. I obviously didn't capture everyone but gave a well represented sample size.

I tried to include models that are very similar as for as standard options. No magwell, single side safety, the builders basics finish whether that be cerakote, stainless, blue, etc.

So the question is, who out of these offers the best value at the given price? Definitely a subjective question because everyone values aspects of a build differently. But consider things like accuracy guarantees, reliability, sight offerings, preferred finish, etc. All in all, who is giving you the most gun for the money. The most form and function.

Yes I know some of the names may be considered way above other in regards to price, but some might consider them to offer a lot of value given the amount of time dedicated to a build and quality of the components.

Just curious on everyone's thoughts.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Nighthawk President with Talon grips..my fantasy gun. Dont know how good of a "deal" it is.. Can you really put a price on that level of sexy...?...lol.

·
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
4,278 Posts
I've owned a few of the makers you have listed. I have 2 ACW'S currently.
So from what I've experienced I have to say ACW. I'm very impressed with the two I have. Quality, attention to detail. Fit and finish. And they both are very accurate.
I'm not saying that the others are not great but I think that the ACW’S are just a little bit better.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I was thinking Ruger when I clicked...
Me too. I have a SR1911 45, that i just love. Is it twice the gun my RIA is $450 vs $750..? I think so. Is my Kimber twice the gun my Ruger is $750 vs $1,500..? Probably not. The fit is a little better..but dosn't shoot any nicer. Don't get me wrong..i love my Kimber and don't regret even 1 cent what i paid for it.. But i wonder ..at some level..the math probably dosn't work, and it just becomes more of a "status" thing. And thats fine.. I want a Nighthawk President kinda bad...lol. Is it over twice the gun my Kimber is &1,500 vs $3,000..? Probably not.. But if most of my xtra money wasnt going into fixing up my farmhouse and barns right now i would have one..and probably will someday. I'm new to 1911s..so please forgive me for my ignorance..im learning tons from you all, and being on this forum.. :).

·
What me worry ?
12,742 Posts
Imho, the question should be what is best for my needs ,what is your intended purpose for the pistol ?
Plunking,brange use , personal protection ?
In that you can’t put a figure on your life , I would look to a pistol of quality that works reliably
If your looking for the best of all worlds at a value, I would definitely consider a Les Baer ,considering
The hand fitting and accuracy, it’s a deal .
You may want to look at a Dan Wesson, good quality at a good price.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Imho, the question should be what is best for my needs ,what is your intended purpose for the pistol ?
Plunking,brange use , personal protection ?
In that you can’t put a figure on your life , I would look to a pistol of quality that works reliably
If your looking for the best of all worlds at a value, I would definitely consider a Les Baer ,considering
The hand fitting and accuracy, it’s a deal .
You may want to look at a Dan Wesson, good quality at a good price.
This is interesting and true. I believe I'd be more inclined with the CQB if I were going to carry it for defense purposes. I would be more inclined to use my Les Baer for target shooting, but that's not to say the Wilson can't shoot tiny groups and the Baer can't be trusted with your life. From my relatively short experience, there's not really what I would call a "loser" in the bunch. I would say that when you get into the $4k+ options you are really paying for stylistic differences rather than performance because all the "lower end" options on the list flat-out shoot.

In the argument of "Bang For Your Buck" it's hard to beat Les Baer.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
My 45 isn't flashy but I like it just the way it is. My 38S is classy and flashy I think. Definitely not vanilla.

View attachment 736647

View attachment 736648
I was calling the CQB vanilla, not the ACW. I am in love with the ACW guns and they are quite classy. The CQB is more of a tool in my book and not the height of art, hence the "vanilla" terminology.

There is nothing vanilla about either of those guns and excuse me for the misunderstanding.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Yeah I agree with the poll. Its hard to argue with what you get from Alchemy for the price point. And DW as well, for the dollar spent they are nice. I think one that gets overlooked is EB 1911s. You can find them like new or new for just over 2k on GB and other places. For some reason the resell value on them isn't super high. But if you can find one for a little over 2k you are getting one hell of a nice gun for that price.

·
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
4,278 Posts
I was calling the CQB vanilla, not the ACW. I am in love with the ACW guns and they are quite classy. The CQB is more of a tool in my book and not the height of art, hence the "vanilla" terminology.

There is nothing vanilla about either of those guns and excuse me for the misunderstanding.
Lol, excuse me for misunderstanding you.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts