1911 Firearm Addicts banner

Which gun offers the best all around value at it's given price point?

• Combat Precision - $6,000 est

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bunker Arms - $8,500 est

Votes: 0 0.0%
21 - 40 of 85 Posts

·
In Kentucky
10,165 Posts
You got to realize the ones with expensive 1911s are older who started just bbn like you. With trades selling we got into more expensive 1911s

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Yeah I agree with the poll. Its hard to argue with what you get from Alchemy for the price point. And DW as well the the dollar spent they are nice. I think one that gets overlooked is EB 1911s. You can find them like new or new for just over 2k on GB and other places. For some reason the resell value on them isn't super high. But if you can find one for a little over 2k you are getting one hell of a nice gun for that price.
I have yet to own an EB and I believe you are correct in your assessment. EB's reputation for stainless is a thing of legend and I believe the "curmudgeon" label affixed to him personally is a reason for the secondary market keeping prices down, though that has nothing to do with the quality of the guns or that he revolutionized the 1911 parts industry. I have never met Mr. Brown and have no opinion on his demeanor, but the reputation he had/has for being "nice" and what his kids did with the company were a bad combo.

Some had Farrah Fawcett, Lamborghini or Michael Jordan posters on their wall. I had(excuse me, HAVE) the 1983 IPSC World Championship Top 16 photo on mine. Brown, Wilson, McCormick, Dalton, Seifried, Leatham, Plaxco, Enos, etc. In it Brown sits between Dalton & Wilson and it's his face I'm drawn to first in that photo. Legendary.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
You got to realize the ones with expensive 1911s are older who started just bbn like you. With trades selling we got into more expensive 1911s
Wisdom, to be sure. I owned nearly twenty 1911's before I spent more than the price of a Kimber TLE, which was about $1,100. When I bought my first DW I was nervous, but it opened the floodgates. My first "big" 1911 purchase was a Wilson CQB and I got a screaming deal for $2,400. I never looked back. I still buy DW's and SA's, but I have also moved into full customs and am constantly looking for my next "dream gun".

I have never been a rich man by any means but I know what makes me happy and I know I met my responsibilities before meeting my happiness. I used to think that there was no way a $3k 1911 could be that much better than a $1k gun. I was wrong, but that doesn't mean there aren't wonderful guns for under $1k. This is as personal as cars. These days they all run very well, but some appeal to us more than others and some features are more desirable.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
I believe that's why he's asking for individual opinions. What constitutes "value" to you?

If it is what constitutes value to me then yes, my 10mm Valor or my Staccato C2 or anything that saves my life in a gunfight!

Reactions: Merton

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Let me offer a different perspective. My most valuable gun is the one I'm carrying when S hits the fan. My best is the one I can put on the target the easiest, provided it's got big enough bullets. Let me add favorites: All of them; why else would I have them?? Does anyone keep guns they actually don't like?? Apologies for a slight diversion from the thread, as a true addict can't possibly provide a decent answer to the original question. o_O
Besides, the list is too short! ;);)

·
Registered
Nighthawk Agent 2 Nighthawk Counselor Wilson Combat EDC X9
116 Posts
Nighthawk Agent/2 4 different companies at the top of their respective fields coming together to collaborate on a pistol is pretty special

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Monetary value?
Esoteric value?
Functionality value?
Visual value?
Accuracy value?
Tactile value?
Security value?
Exactly. Which ones matter to you and what dollar amount do you affix to them? It isn't that simple, but it is that subjective.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
At this point, with little skin in this poll. I have coming the best of two worlds. I bought a DW and out the door it is as others say the best bang for the buck. I too came into the gun world stating that anyone paying over 1000 for a gun was a wee bit off their rocker. After spending time in firearms I then could understand why folks in the off their rocker category would choose to not buy multiple 1000 guns knowing that the quality they seek won't be there. Now to the statement of best of both worlds, my DW is in the hands of a quality smith who will take the best bang for the buck and then going through it and fixing, polishing, redoing, and insuring that it will be everything that it could have been. Now I too am off my rocker. I asked for a weapon. I didn't ask for a gun, nor a plinker. I can buy a gun that will function for duty work, I then decided I was in a place that my responsibilities are taken care of, I have found extra work to finance the extra expense of having a professional work on a gun and create a weapon. We take weapons into battle. I take my duty weapon into battle but soon I will be able to take another weapon with the same confidence that I have in what I carry. Now best bang for my buck, it will be my Integrity Arms DW

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
would love to know where to get a BEC for 5,500. His builds are about double that... anyone has one for $5,500 let me know.....
Well when I reached out to Lou at the end of 2019, he said his starting price was $5,800. So I mistyped there.

Im sure he’s gone up a bit in 2 years, but I doubt double just for a base level build. But I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
When you talk best bang for the buck you are getting into efficiency of dollars spent for gun you get.

Technically none of these brands would rate very high on that scale. They are all extravagances that people buy because they choose to, want to, and can afford to (hopefully).

Best bang for your buck is going to be something sub 4 figures that goes bang every time and has good accuracy.

Despite what this board talks about there are plenty of 1911s straight from a production line that will shoot just as well and nearly as accurate as these fine guns. They just don't have all the fancy options and pretty finishes and guarantees.

To put it another way, my dad drives a King Ranch F250. I drive a XLT F150. Is his truck almost 3 times the truck I have? Not even close, but he is 76 years old, can afford it, and that is what he wants to drive so he does. I could afford it, but I also have a mortgage, kids, a wife, etc etc etc so I don't.

All those makers make luxury item 1911s. We could argue a 1911 in general is a luxury item but we won't at this point. Bang for the buck goes out the door early when you say luxury.

I say all the above while owning 6 guns by the above makers and soon to add a Yost.....but facts are facts...

·
Premium Member
6,465 Posts
The best value for the money I ever got was my first .38 super. An RIA full size. I'm not even sure what the model is called. That gun has NEVER failed in the time I shot it and is still being shot regularly by my friend. Yes... he spent a few $s on sight upgrades (not much!!) but for $425 new, plus sight work. It just keeps on runnin.
I'll add this, I did change the recoil spring as it seemed sluggish and used better mags.

Ok!!! ....... you can stop your laughing now. :oops:

·
Registered
735 Posts
I love my ACW, Wilson, LB and Colts among others however my 2013 DW pm9 bought slightly used may have been the best bang for the buck at 1300.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
For the money, Dan Wesson no question. Great value for the money and I haven’t found anything sub 1500 better. Personally love the Valor and the A2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
For the money, try a S&W custom 1911 from the performance center. I believe the Les Baer in this value poll would have been more fairly compared if it was the LB Premier II.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
I own Ed Browns, Nighthawks, GIs, Cabots, DW, and Les Baers. I LOVE my Nighthawks and Cabots, but bang for the buck IMHO is Les Baer. Every Baer I have looked at is around $2,000, including the two I own. Not sure where you got a price of $3,013 but reasonably certain none of the aforementioned 1911s have a MSRP of $2,000 except possibly DW. That said, I believe Les Baer offers better support than DW. I spent 3 months fighting w/ DW about a brand new DW that consistently jammed on every mag. They even went so far as to say nothing was wrong w/ the gun, and insinuated the LGS didn't know what they were doing, and the jams were user error. Had to send the gun back twice before it was fixed.

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
The only gun on your list that I would buy at their going rate would be a Lou gat. If you know of any for $5800 let me know. I doubt it though. I know I wouldn’t sell mine for that.

21 - 40 of 85 Posts