1911 Firearm Addicts banner

Which gun offers the best all around value at it's given price point?

• Combat Precision - $6,000 est

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bunker Arms - $8,500 est

Votes: 0 0.0%
41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
The best value gun is the one you've become attached to and put copious amounts of lead down range with. For me, at this time, it's a DW Guardian in 9mm. I love shooting this gun and swapping parts and learning. I have about 7k through at the moment and will continue to try and shoot it until it falls apart. I'm getting my monies worth for sure.

·
Premium Member
5,161 Posts
Do not like ACW's at all!!!

So I believe it would be NH, GI, & WC in that order!

BCD 45

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
I own four of the guns listed, but my ACW is definitely the best value for the money. Glad to see none of the lower-end 1911s were listed, and even better that no non-American 1911s are on the list.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
I enjoy these types of discussions. As much as I love my "nice" guns the one 1911 that I have put the most rounds down the barrel of is an old single-cannon logo RIA that my son now has that has a very conservative 50k rounds through it. It now rattles and shakes, but it just keeps going. It was the best $325 I ever spent. I have bought 4 RIA's and own all four still. My first 9mm 1911 was an RIA and it's a laser. As cheap as Kimber's are I have never owned a "bad" one. I was hoping for more out of Ruger and waited in line for one of the very first back in '11. That has gone down the road, but it was reliable enough.

I had two AMT's that were no good, both Hardballer's. One was a Government model and the other a long slide. I have owned 50(+-) 1911's valued between $350-$4,000 and the two AMT's were the only ones with serious issues and with all that considered there is a lot to be said for the best "value" in a 1911 probably belonging to a $500-800 gun.

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
Do not like ACW's at all!!!

So I believe it would be NH, GI, & WC in that order!

BCD 45
Have you owned and/or shot any ACW's?

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
Pretty subjective as to what value is to each person. I read the comments with interest on tapatalk which doesnt provide the poll, now looking at the poll its more interesting. Personally best value on a semi custom is going to be pre-owned and that skews the pricing listed in the poll quite a bit on some. I think its damn hard to beat a pre-owned SRP, Wilson CQB or NH GRP and I would probably rank them in that order. ACW hasnt produced enough guns for their prices to drop drastically on the secondary market nor have I had a chance to shoot one, though based on how happy the owners are they are in the running.

Reactions: FWoo45 and B81

·
Cav Troopers Dad
1,374 Posts
My vote was for the CQB though I was torn over the Volkman. After working my way through many 1911's I've come to realize my needs can be handled quite well by Wilson or Colt. I prefer the way either of those fit my hand and even though I have made the promise before going forward I plan on only going with one or the other of those. Of course the Colts will need some work. I have a love hate relationship with NH, love the fact they are a Christian based business and very personable towards customers but hate that their pistols don't fit me better, the NH Classic is one of the best looking pistols out there IMHO.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Dang, looks like ACW had another price increase this week. A regular prime is up to $2,995.

I’m assuming most brand are going to follow suit as well. High demand and scarcity of raw materials...this hobby is getting too pricey.

·
Premium Member
Addict
711 Posts
Dang, looks like ACW had another price increase this week. A regular prime is up to $2,995.

I’m assuming most brand are going to follow suit as well. High demand and scarcity of raw materials...this hobby is getting too pricey.
I placed orders for 3 ACW a couple months ago. They’ve since doubled their deposit fees and extended all lead times. Glad I got in when I did

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I would say for the money off the list Les Baer is hard to beat. I would not choose the SRP I would take a Custom Carry Govt for right around $2000. There is nothing the SRP has that I need over what the Custom Carry Offers. I own a TRS which is basically the same gun. I prefer its $$$ to value over what Dan Wesson is offering today. There was a time when I would have said the Dan Wesson Heritage at $1000 or less was the best value but they don't make them anymore. That gun gave you 80% + of what most of the guns listed in the OP's poll and a sub $1000 price point.

My other off script choice is a Bespoke Pistol from Mr. Ted Yost or others of his caliber and reputation. These are guns that you can commission and build to your liking within their build universe. You can get it, shoot it for a years and turn around and get your money out of it. The cost of these semi bespoke builds keeps going up. The cost and weight time is not going down anytime soon. I know that I have shoot loved and enjoyed my Yost BHP and that based on what they cost today and what they resell for I could sell it within a week for what I paid for it if not more. There are a handful of custom smiths you can say that about.

Most of the guns on the list above will lose value instantly. I see NIB or LNIB example of Dan Wessons, Les Baers. APWs, GIs, Wilsons etc.... all get sold here everyday for 10%-20% less than they were bought for. Nothing wrong with that but it is what it is? So to me the best value in 1911s are the ones that are functional pieces of art which fire 45 ACP projectiles which if done right have $0 cost of ownership. LOL

·
Registered
435 Posts
My immediate answer would be Dan Wesson, HOWEVER, about a month ago I received an ACW prime custom carry in 45 ACP.

While I haven’t shot it yet, I can’t stop staring at it. It is the most beautiful piece I’ve ever owned.
I have or have had: WC, NHC, LES BAER, ED BROWN, DAN WESSON guns. So I’m not without experience when it comes to semi custom 1911s.

The level of perfection seems just that, perfect.

I’m sure I won’t be disappointed when I shoot it.

I know it seems silly, but I keep postponing shooting this magnificent piece …..

41 - 60 of 85 Posts