Who's got a 1911-22 ?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Dino, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Dino

Dino New Member

Jan 26, 2012
    There have been several various 1911-22's introduced to the market recently.
    Browning, Colt/Umarex, Chiappa, GSG, and Sig come to mind.

I bought the Sig 1911-22.
    I initially had some FTF's but after some tweaking, it runs 100%, it's very accurate, cheap to shoot, and a whole lotta fun. :thumb:
    Anyone here have a 1911-22?

[​IMG]

2. Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I looked into a Kimber, but decided against it. 1911 and .22 are two entities known for being finicky, so I've stayed away from the less expensive offerings. May give one a go down the road, though.

3. Fire-Medic

Fire-Medic Back At It

Jan 10, 2012
    I have been eyeballing the GSG, would pair up nice with a suppressor

4. Bodyarmorguy

Bodyarmorguy Member

Aug 20, 2011
    I purchased a GSG 1911-22 back in the middle of December. Thus far it has digested everything I have fed it from light match loads to Stingers, and it is dead-balls accurate. I need to by the barrel adapter so that I can run my AAC Pilot on it as well.

5. Fire-Medic

Fire-Medic Back At It

Jan 10, 2012
    That's good to know, I want the .22 to have the same manual of arms as my primary pistols which are both 1911's.......

They need an adapter now? Use to come with them........

6. Colt 45

Colt 45 Member

Sep 26, 2011
    I have a Colt Service Model Ace. I love it! Runs 100% and accurate too...and it's a Colt! It goes to the range with me every time I go.

Max
    [​IMG]

7. shichidan

shichidan Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Bought a Chiappi last summer

POS sold it in 30 days

Prefer to continue my 22 shooting witha Browning Buckmaster.

Alan

8. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    From the look of those two additional holes at the slide release pin, you got a GSG with a different name. Which is a bad thing only if you paid considerably more for the Sig name. My GSG is a great shooter, reasonably accurate, and reliable. Wouldn't pizz in the rain with a new slicker on for one of the Chiappas!

GSG has approximately 80% parts interchangeability with standard 1911. Early production had a couple sub-par components, but if you have one (a magnet won't stick to the bbl bushing), they'll send a upgrade package with the new replacement parts free of charge. New, they come with 3 front sights, different heights, so you can change them out to match your favorite velocity ammo. Won't fire without magazine in place, that's supposed to be to pass importation regs.

Not a target grade gun, unlike a Marvel conversion kit, but you can buy a complete handgun for less than the price of a Kimber conversion kit which aint target grade either.

The new Brownings which are smaller in ALL dimensions than a true 1911 seem like a really bad joke to me. NO parts interchange, cannot use standard holsters, different grip/balance feel, only their pictures are right!

Bob

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  9. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    These guys have some great parts. I'm going to order a guide rod from them.

Here's a threaded adapter for a real can.
    http://www.gsgpro.com/GSGPRO/Thread_Adapter.html

10. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    I have a pair of Kimber Rimfire Target models, one in .22LR and the other in .17HM2.

Both run great and are plenty accurate.

Kimber Rimfire Target, .17 HM2 on a dedicated Colt XSE frame.
    [​IMG]

Kimber Rimfire Target, .22 LR on a dedicated Taurus frame.
    [​IMG]

11. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    Agree that both the GSG and SIG 1911-22 are the same gun w/ a different name.

I have the GSG with rail, and a faux can version. My main reasons for that route:
    1) A complete gun for less than a Kimber 22 upper.
    2) Cheap training for my EDC.
    3) And I know it's not a target to punch 0.5" holes at 25 yards. If I want one, then I'll build up a Marvel kit, or a Ruger 22/45.

I keep on feeding it the Rem bulk and I actually like that it will have some FTF or FTE. It will let me practice malfunction drills and get the gun back running, and on target.

I need to get an updated picture, but this was the most current picture.
    [​IMG]

Mods so far:
    Nighhawk flat MSH
    Brazo FO FS
    Caspian flat trigger (spare parts bin)
    Stock SA ambi (spare parts bin)
    EB barrel bushing (spar parts bin)
    EB plunger spring and detent ends
    VZ ETC Frag grips

12. Pro-One

Pro-One Active Member

Jan 30, 2012
    I have the Kimber upper mounted on a SA lower, replaced the curved mainspring housing with a straight mainspring housing from Dawson Precision with a flared magwell. Sent the barrel to hi-desertdog and had them thread for me. The Kimber mags are plastic which is cheesy:frusty: and do not drop as freely as I would like, there is a company called MHA Custom who makes a aluminum base plate for mags which adds a little more weight for enhanced mag replacement drills.(readily avail. at Brownells). Magazines hold 10 rds., If you disassemble mags and grind the bottom tab off follower you can add 4 more rounds to mag without issue(I have 12 mags I have done this to) and factory spring still functions without issue.
    The GSG on the other hand is probably the best bang for your buck- comes with threaded barrel(just add adapter), mags are made of steel with good weight and drop freely. I added a set of grips with flared magwell, but had to add extended floor plates to mags to clear magwell(glued on). I removed the magazine safety spring so you can still shoot without mag installed(actually cleaned trigger pull and basically consist of removing a small spring). Both guns cycle with cans attached, hope this was helpful and keep shootin.:thumb: Mark's Guns 046-1.jpg Mark's Guns 047-1.jpg

13. lowboy

lowboy New Member

Oct 5, 2011
    See my post in the range trip/review section re: GSG 1911-22. Once I ran ammo it liked, it was 100%.

14. Blackhawk83

Blackhawk83 Member

Feb 12, 2012
    I recently purcased the Colt RG-22 from Umarex. Super tight groups and flawless reliability. Just not sure why
    anyone would need a rail for a 22 cal 1911.

[​IMG]

15. rocketgeezer

rocketgeezer Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I have a GSG, I understand that GSG also builds Sigs 1911-22 they are basicly the same gun except one says Sig and the other GSG, and the Sig cost's more, LOL, that all being said I have been a shooter for more years than most, I can honestly say I have not had that much fun out shooting targets and plinking in years, I think if it was in a vise that gun could put one round on top of another, now if dude were not hording 22 ammo, for whatever reason, it would be great, and believe it or not this gun eats any ammo that has power enough to rack the slide

16. DHBWA

DHBWA Active Member

Mar 22, 2015
    I bought the Sig as it popped up local for reasonable price and is the FDE model. Stacks'em on top of each other and runs at 99% or so. Tons of fun for $300

17. Fatbob Frank

Fatbob Frank Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Feb 5, 2014
    I had a Sig 1911-22. I replaced the guide rod with a full length stainless one.
    I also swapped out the magazine followers for the +4 versions.
    Other than that it was an outstanding little gun.
    I traded it to my Bro-in-law for a bulldog puppy or I'd still have it.
    I ended up buying a GSG 1911-22 conversion kit for $119 from PSA primarily because of how much I liked the Sig( that GSG makes anyway)

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted