Why are newer Colt safeties so bad?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Tony Lupo, Aug 4, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Tony Lupo

Tony Lupo Member

Mar 3, 2020
    I was looking at buying a new Colt commander last fall and noticed the action for the safety on the gun I handled was horrible. It was very gritty with no discernible tactile feel for when it was on or off.

I have noticed a number of posts on various forums where people who purchased new Colts mentioned that their safeties were poorly fitted and gritty/hard to engage.

Is this really a problem? If so, why doesn't Colt fix this? They've made this pistol for over 100 years, many of those with great safeties so what gives?

*Double Diamond Colt* likes this.
  2. SW1911302

SW1911302 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2019
    I was looking at an M45A1 a while back and the safety felt like garbage for $1700.

CHL82 likes this.

3. seagiant

seagiant Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Hi,
    If you look at the vid on the tube of the building of a Colt 1911...

In real time it is less than 3 minutes and not a lot of the old hand fitting going on.

More like down and dirty...Next!

Just sayin, you can look for yourself!

NewWaveGuy01 likes this.
  4. monadh

monadh Sapientiae Timor Domini Initium

May 8, 2012
    The safety on my CCU CCO was gritty when it came in and has taken some time to break in. There was positive audible and tactile feedback when it would engage and disengage, but it was stiff at the start. It definitely could have been better.

5. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 19, 2017
    From 1917 to 2011 all my colts have a nice crisp snick. :)
    Clear, snick, bang! All my colts are ok.

6. seagiant

seagiant Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Hi,
    Uh-oh...Here come the Fanboys! LOL!

7. Jim 1855

Jim 1855 Member

Mar 1, 2020
    Colt has had the opportunity to forget more about 1911s than most others know. And they've taken advantage of that opportunity.

8. Weiker

Weiker Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    I had our Karl fit a new thumb safety b4shipping. I'm quite impressed. Not so sure I ever had a thumb safety correct b4 this

9. july19

july19 Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled. Supporting Addict

Sep 16, 2013
    I have a 2012 CCC and it accidentally came with a nice safety. Don’t ask about the loose slide.

HooDoo Man likes this.
  10. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
    I can't tell you how much confidence this video gave me
    about the Colt manufacturing process.;):confused::bang:

HooDoo Man likes this.
  11. BLRGSD

BLRGSD Active Member

Sep 28, 2019
    My Ruger SR1911 CMD TALO Nightwatchman has a better, smoother thumb safety than any of my Colts. It is also very accurate and functions great. I like the titanium feed ramp insert that reduces the ammo feed wear on the aluminum frame, something my other Colts do not have as standard and the Ruger came standard with Novak tritium night sights and nice G10 grip panels. Had to pay extra for tritium sights on my other 1911's. And it would cost even more $ for a custom 1911 smith to insert a titanium insert into the feed ramp that the Ruger comes with standard. I have no complaints with the Ruger SR1911 CMD at all. I am impressed with the quality, fit, function, lightweight, accuarcy and standard features at a price noticeably less than a comparably featured Colt 1911.

12. HooDoo Man

HooDoo Man Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 26, 2017
    Watch the vid that Dwe posted. Then you'll know how your safety was "fitted". LOL. Be sure to chew gum if you do it.

forester4259 likes this.
  13. Bradd_D

Bradd_D Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2019
    Ester is slacking on the thumb safeties. She could learn a thing or two from DW.

HooDoo Man likes this.
  14. HooDoo Man

HooDoo Man Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 26, 2017
    Great skill with a file job on the trigger.

jdoc7 likes this.
  15. ILED93

ILED93 Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2017
    The gum chewing was a nice touch. If only she had been wearing the cat's eye glasses...

jdoc7 likes this.
  16. Bugs

Bugs Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Because it's assembled by Nana who doesn't give a sh*t in Liberal Wonder Land.

17. *Double Diamond Colt*

*Double Diamond Colt* Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2020
    I love my Colts but the last few I have purchased new have had to have the safety made to operate correctly . They were all too stiff . Pretty simple to see she has the gun twisted when testing it giving her more mechanical advantage over it .

It needs to be tested like its being held on target and probably by someone who looks like they have shot a gun lately and give a spit how the end product turns out .

That said 1911s are tool box guns that need to be fitted to everyone's taste but that video sure didn't inspire any confidence

seagiant likes this.
  18. Greenrunner

Greenrunner Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    That video is not particularly informative for me, largely because it only shows a small part of the entire manufacturing process. If that is Exhibit #1 to support your indictment of Colt, the verdict is going to be not guilty.

I wonder how flattering a video of similar activity would be at some other manufacturers gushed over on this forum.

AJP likes this.
  19. Bradd_D

Bradd_D Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2019
    How about Exhibit #2.

IMG_1061.JPG

20. Bugs

Bugs Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The "exhibit" for me was dealing with them a few years ago over a screwed up Combat Elite thumb safety that required 2 trips back to the factory. The 1st trip back they "half azzed" the repair. That thumb safety was so poorly fit that it was grinding an arc in the frame. The CS was horrible and so were the attitudes of the people I dealt with. They just did not give a sh*t about the customer.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted