Why are there front cocking serrations on so many 1911s?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by Blue Ridge, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I put this in beginner's corner, b/c it's the ultimate "noob" question. I've been shooting for 20 years, but while 1911 window shopping, I got to thinking about how prevalent front serrations are. Surely they wouldn't still be so frequently seen if they are 100% window dressing. But I never grab a slide up there, unless maybe breaking down the gun, or similar time that a textured grip wouldn't serve much purpose. Is there a reason -or a method of racking the slide I'm unfamiliar with? I tend to keep my hands away from that end during operation.

2. FullCaliber

FullCaliber New Member

Oct 12, 2011
    I've been told it's for press-checks, to see if a round is in the chamber.

3. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    It's really one of them things invented for no reason ! OK yes, it is a little easier to use front cocking serrations when racking the slide, due to more leverage and change of pivot point.
    On the other hand, if the user have normal strength and know how to the proper technique, firm grip, not staging the slide movement, and utilizing the "pull/push" trick, then front serrations are just more or less a fashion thing.

4. deadguy

deadguy Charlie Daniels Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    I find press-check cuts mo' bettah for press-checking than FCS.

5. too_pure

too_pure Employed

Nov 9, 2011
    I don't much like the way they look, but I think many do. There was a thread on TOS where the majority liked them by a pretty big margin. My first 1911 had them and I got used to using them for clearing the chamber, the round would drop into my hand. Now that I don't have them I just let the round drop on my bed, a table, whatever.

But yea. I wish they weren't on almost everything.

And furthermore... I wish more 1911s had closely cut serrations like on a Colt or Baer.

6. Chris

Chris YOU ****!!!! Supporting Addict

Aug 17, 2011
    Hate them personally, but variety is the spice of life I guess. Many good guns out there without them to keep me happy, as well as many others with them to satisfy those who prefer them.

Fatbob Frank likes this.
  7. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN NRA member Supporting Addict

Dec 24, 2011
    FCS aka the devil's claw marks. Can't stand them. They've saved me a lot of money as I've passed on many 1911's with FCS

8. Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I don't like them, but they seem to be part of the "classic" look of a Baer, which I do like. I really most am drawn the look of a clean slide, no or minimal rollmarks, nothing. Glad to know I'm not missing out on a feature if I keep buying 1911's without them. The GI NN might be the prettiest "stock" 1911 of all to me.

Legion489, GetSome! and bnaples like this.
  9. too_pure

too_pure Employed

Nov 9, 2011
    Roll marks...

Now there's a whole 'nuther debate :)

I like 'em, but I'm real particular about it.

Shemp likes this.
  10. too_pure

too_pure Employed

Nov 9, 2011
    What is the "pull/push" trick?

11. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    I believe Jess is referring to the technique of pulling the slide back, while pushing the frame forward.

12. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    One will push the frame forward, while pulling the slide rearward.

Tactical Response likes this.
  13. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Makes good sense to me for a "hard use" gun. When you're sweating and bleeding and need to rack that slide, you want all of the traction you can get, anywhere you can get it.

Andy

14. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    Actually they are 'press check serrations' not 'forward cocking serrations'.
    Many of my 'real world' customers demand them.
    I find them very useful as well.
    The left hand contacts them from underneath and sort of pivots, retracting the slide in a very controlled manner
    without obscuring the ejection port.
    Done correctly, they do not induce holster wear.

15. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Yes, the pull/push technique is both helpful/useful in some cases, if the user has weak hands.
    I guess there is as many ways to get a 1911 into condition 1, as there's instructors out there. I personally load 1 rd. into the mag and chamber it. Put the safety on and insert a fully loaded mag.
    I load the first round from slide lock, but slow the slide speed down by riding it into battery using my hand. Reason being, that this will preserve expensive self defense ammo, not being slammed so bad getting shorter and shorter over time.
    I try to avoid "press checking", since this can/may move the top round in the mag a little forward sometimes. Should be a problem in a high quality firearm, but if the next round in line sits forward, it can "nose dive" causing a full stop type malfunction.
    Again, it's one of those topics that can be discussed to death, and everyone is both right and wrong at the same time.

16. nolt

nolt Member

Aug 24, 2011
    :behindsofa:

nolt declares a motion to replace 'FCS' with 'PCS'.

PistolWretch (haha just now noticed the difference) I was hoping that you would chime in as I have noted the presence of them on many of your guns and I know your customers to be quite business-like. The fact is that most of us on these boards simply do not have as many daily presentations or reasons to check weapons.

17. deadguy

deadguy Charlie Daniels Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    I do a press check everyday before arming myself. My preferred method is in fact using the forward end of the slide and moving it back just enough to see the case rim. No need to go any further.

18. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    PCS,........done right by PistolWretch! :nod:

[​IMG]

19. Spokes

Spokes Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 18, 2011
    Very nice. Looks like a commander.:thumb:

20. wichaka

wichaka Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Yep, haven't seen anyone use them to cock the gun yet.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted