1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a Wilson LW Professional in 9mm. The prefect carry pistol right?

But when I carry it I feel under gunned.

What do I do? I grab a 1911 inf 45acp.

Then I think I need a few more rounds and grab a Sig 365 or Glock 19 in 9mm and I'm ok.

I think I need therapy, LOL.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Grab an extra mag instead of changing guns. I carry a 45 so I may be no help.

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
6,838 Posts
The only thing a gun guy likes to debate more than 9mm vs 45 ACP is which lube to use.

If it wasn't for these two subjects 50% of all gun forum threads would gone.

·
born in the wrong century
5,268 Posts
My own amateur thoughts on the matter. Not even worth what you paid for them. :giggle:

Proficiency is a huge confidence builder.

Fueling a 9mm 1911 at range sessions does't thump the wallet as much as some other cartridges (at least pre-covid pricing)...thus more frequent range sessions. (y)

Fueling a 9mm 1911 at range sessions doesn't thump the shooter as much as some other cartridges.....thus recovery from recoil and sight acquisition is faster, smoother. Extended or more frequent range sessions are easy. (y)

Even a single stack 1911 in 9mm offers you 10+1 capacity with additional magazines at the ready if you so choose to carry them. I always bring along a spare....not simply for the additional rounds....but for another mag in case I do something stupid like eject the primary prematurely....or have some type of feed/extract malfunction, etc. I'm not so graceful....and that ain't improving with age. I'm about as far from John Wick as an hombre can get....and extra mag ups my odds.

Another thought on 9mm: 2011 commander-sized guns as well as Wilson's EDC X9 really are coming on strong for a reason. Not just popular because "everyone else" has one. I've been highly impressed with the X9. (y)

On most days...I generally carry a .45 1911, be it a commander, gubmint or cco. I also carry the X9 and have recently bought a P365. I need some range time with the P365, but it is a promising little gun....that dramatically improves my pocket carry capabilities over my J-Frame....actual sights (and damned good ones, too), trigger, capacity, speedy reloading, etc.

Again....the above ramblings are just those of a rank amateur who carries what he's most proficient with. Over the years I've simply had more trigger time with .45acp than with 9mm....but in no means does it mean that I frown on 9mm.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I don’t feel undergunned with any of my 9mm 1911s at all.

I used to, back when I got my first, a Wilson Professional, some 11 years ago.

Glad I’m over that now, though an EDC X9 is my current EDC. Prior to that, my 9mm Professional was my “go to” gun.

As I’ve been saying for quite a few years now; anyone who doesn’t like 9mm 1911s hasn’t shot one...

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I would never consider a purchase of a 9mm 1911. For a 9mm it is at least to me, undesirable. Too many other platforms that were built around the 9mm that offer a better solution for my needs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would never consider a purchase of a 9mm 1911. For a 9mm it is at least to me, undesirable. Too many other platforms that were built around the 9mm that offer a better solution for my needs.
I have been told that since the 1911 was originally designed for the 45 ACP it is inherently more reliable with larger cartridges, such as 45 ACP and 10MM. As you state, other designs, centered around the 9MM are better choices for the minor calibers. Personally I think the Browning Hi Power is hard to beat for a 9MM platform.

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
I don't feel under-gunned with 10 rounds in the gun and a spare 10 rounder. Hell, my G43 is 6+1 and I'm fine with that. I think some take capacity to the extreme. You don't need 46-52 rounds for a CCW, IMO. But do what makes you feel comfy.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Do you carry the 9mm 1911 in your purse?
Ouch! My brother was a cop for many years, and he always taught me to carry the biggest you can manage (and hit in the right places). A few months ago, here in Phila a bad guy was shot (and hit) 16 times (9mm) in the torso and lived. He was in the ICU for 2 days, but he lived and it took 16 shots to stop him.

Pesonally, I carry a Les Baer 45ACP (and a 2nd mag) every day w/ Hornady Critical Defense ammo. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel confident several 45ACP hits w/ Hornady would stop most bad guys. No such thing as "overkill", unless we're talking about carrying a 50AE Desert Eagle or S&W 500 Magmum.

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Vortec, the super38 fits the 1911 perfectly, same COAL as 45auto.

I'm a P-35 guy for launching 9mm bullets. But I do enjoy shooting 9mm 1911s.

Carry what you like and shoot well. Become familiar with it, I always carry an extra mag on my person and a couple in the truck, no matter the caliber. There are no magic bullets

·
Cav Troopers Dad
1,202 Posts
I’ve been carrying a 9MM the majority of the time over the past 4 years. Lately it’s been my Experior Double Stack Commander which is a great platform for the 9MM, 34 rounds with an extra magazine. I also have been known to carry a NH Counselor or WC ULCC with a 10 round mag as a reload for a load out of 19. I don’t feel underfunded with any of these and feel confident in the 9MM to do well in a self defense situation. If I knew I was going to be involved in a gun fight I have several rifles I’d rather pick from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
218 Posts
Ouch! My brother was a cop for many years, and he always taught me to carry the biggest you can manage (and hit in the right places). A few months ago, here in Phila a bad guy was shot (and hit) 16 times (9mm) in the torso and lived. He was in the ICU for 2 days, but he lived and it took 16 shots to stop him.

Pesonally, I carry a Les Baer 45ACP (and a 2nd mag) every day w/ Hornady Critical Defense ammo. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel confident several 45ACP hits w/ Hornady would stop most bad guys. No such thing as "overkill", unless we're talking about carrying a 50AE Desert Eagle or S&W 500 Magmum.
Until a moment ago, I was confident that several hits with 9mm would stop most bad guys.

That said, there is a tangible (but as yet, undefined) difference that I feel when carrying my 45 that I like better than what I feel when carrying my 9. I don't think it's just the heft of a metal firearm. I've heard "your carry gun isn't supposed to be comfortable, but comforting". I guess I'd classify this feeling as being more comforted...?

But... I still want a 1911 in 9mm. I think it'd be fun to shoot.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I carry a 9mm commander frequently. I don't feel under gunned at all. Ballistics of modern 9mm JHPs are actually quite good. You might be surprised how little difference there is between calibers.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I agree with a couple of other posters that question a 1911 in 9mm. I am not ever going to venture down that trail. My P365's with a 12 rd mag carry more rounds, lighter, smaller, much easier to conceal, and equally easy to shoot accurately.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts