Why do you like the 1911?!

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by snwbrdr202, Mar 21, 2019.

Tags:
  1. snwbrdr202

snwbrdr202 Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Simple question for y’all fellow addicts! What is it that you like so much about the 1911 platform? I drool at some of the newer pistol designs but no matter how much they spark my interest, I always end up with another 1911 in the stable. Personally I find the history of the 1911 fascinating. I’m blown away that a design over 100 years old is still so popular and widely used. There are other pistols that feel as good in my large mitts, but there’s a comfort in knowing that you’re holding a piece of history that helped us stay back-to-back world war champions! Your reasoning?!

2. jaowens4

jaowens4 New Member

Mar 12, 2019
    Out of all that I have , I still shoot it the best. I can get parts easily enough to rebuild it ten times over( a little stoning and filing mind you but it isn’t rocket science). I can make it mine, unique in such a way that it fits me and how I carry. Strange as it may sound I like feeling the weight on my side, reminds me that it’s there. To top it all off, it’s a visual thing for me. When I see someone pull out a bbq 1911 I do admire it but when I see someone showing theirs and there is bare shiny metal worn from use, dehorned really with time and use.... well it lets me know they shoot, a lot and care for the tool that it is and it doesn’t get any better than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. InstiGator

InstiGator Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2019
    Poly fans may disagree, but I like the accuracy and reliability that I've experienced with the 1911. I like the weight and solidity of an all-steel gun in my hand. I like the slim profile for IWB carry. I like the smooth, clean, straight-back pull of a trigger that isn't hinged at the top. I like the seemingly endless availability of accessories and modifications. All that, plus more that I'm probably forgetting, and it's still the best-looking gun on the market. What's not to like?

John Blazy, MSGT2511, boatdoc and 9 others like this.
  4. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2018
    The overall feel, fit and finish, and the accuracy would be my top three reasons.
    Nothing quite like a nice 1911 in the hand, and it is just flat out impressive the way some smiths can make them look!
    I have found in my experience, that most 1911s are tack drivers too, and while I know most handguns are more accurate than me, 1911s have always helped me shoot better, more accurate, and more consistent.
    Just my .02

MSGT2511, unclebuck5, boatdoc and 3 others like this.
  5. Jollyroger1

Jollyroger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2015
    Because there’s some truly talented smiths out there that can make them look like this....
    DD352BEF-82CD-4089-AAA7-71236B589A61.jpeg
    BBB0E2A2-64EC-472C-AE9B-8236E00B6D3B.jpeg

6. 41 Charlie

41 Charlie Get off my lawn...

Feb 4, 2014
    Simplicity, thin, easy to conceal, old school traditional, unlimited options, single action trigger, various sizes, did I mention traditional, extremely accurate, comes in multiple calibers, soul baby - plenty of soul. What’s not to like...

Hardball, WC145, BigSkyGuy and 6 others like this.
  7. july19

july19 Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled. Supporting Addict

Sep 16, 2013
    Trigger, accuracy, weight, fit in my hand, reliability, etc...

Kpchurch, MSGT2511, boatdoc and 2 others like this.
  8. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    It is the only pistol platform that fits me correctly. With a short trigger, I can grip a 1911 such that I have proper forearm alignment AND still reach the trigger. Every other pistol out there (that I've tried) has too long of a trigger reach, forcing me to rotate my grip.

You can't beat a properly tuned 1911 trigger.

The weight and balance of a full size 1911 makes for easy recoil management.

1911 are just plain beautiful. They're functional works of art.

boatdoc, BigJimP, ronin11 and 4 others like this.
  9. fieldgrade

fieldgrade resident crank

Mar 13, 2017
    My interest started as a connection to the past. My "name was on" Grand dad's bring back from 1918, but it was stolen in a burglary at his house when I was still a wee lad. My dad bought a new Colt 1911 in 1992 which I inherited two years later when he passed, and I'm getting ready to give it to my son for college graduation in two months.

Besides that, they are freakin hotrods, and I like hotrods. Old school. All steel. Lots of "go fast stuff" to change, tune and futz with, and then just ogle them.

boatdoc, WC145, Sonic Ox and 7 others like this.
  10. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    For me, it's like a Harley: Buying it is just the start. How you make it yours is the journey. I really have no desire to own/shoot/modify any of the plastic guns with the exception of the STI 2011, but it's more of a hybrid in that it still has a steel slide and frame, even though the grip is plastic.

To be honest, I'm becoming more of a fan of the 2011 than the 1911 as it has a similar grip size (I have large hands) and most everything I know how to do to a 1911 I can translate to a 2011.

Oops...did I say that out loud?

I'll never get rid of my 1911 though, as we've been through quite a bit together. :D

11. walleyemonster

walleyemonster Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2017
    It is heavy enough that if I run out of boolits, I can beat you to death with it!

tac45, WC145, Josh_Putman and 6 others like this.
  12. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    For all of the above aforementioned reasons and more, it fits my hand the best of any gun I have shot, ergonomically it just works, the trigger cant be beat.

13. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
  14. Noel

Noel Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018
    I've loved them since Uncle Sam put one in my hands and I shot it well. It's the first handgun I bought, a friend sold me a used 1978 Gold Cup.

I still have that one, but it's not as tight as it used to be. I have five more, now.

15. dimedog

dimedog Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2017
    :usa:Murica........that's why

tac45, Sonic Ox, FredZ and 2 others like this.
  16. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    Because they are made out of metal..... just like my cars USED to be!!!!!:cry::cry::cry:

IMG_1667.jpg

17. Win Wolcott

Win Wolcott Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2016
    I have been ask that a lot. The answer is simple. It's what God carries.

18. DWdude

DWdude Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2019
  19. 1911 dawg

1911 dawg Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2018
    The look ,feel ,the history and all the above

BigJimP and Sonic Ox like this.
  20. 1L26

1L26 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    The history, the feel, I shoot it well and it is without a doubt Classy!

BigJimP, simonp and Sonic Ox like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted