Why do you open carry?

Discussion in '1911 Carry' started by eboggs, Aug 1, 2018.

1. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    Ok, one incident cited. My "pie hole" remains open.

2. JohnnyEgo

JohnnyEgo Well-Known Member

May 17, 2017
    Here in the formerly rural west, Open Carry wasn't a particularly big deal, but you seldom saw it without purpose. I'd see guys open carrying as they filled up their trucks to head into the ranch, and the occasional hand-gun hunter popping into the convenience store to grab some supplies. Plenty of guns on the back windows of box Chevys. What you wouldn't often see was a dude strolling through the King Soopers grocery store in town strapped up like he was making a supply run in Mogadishu.

Then the Californians came, and the state legalized recreational marijuana. My small town slowly shifted from ag and oil field workers to folks using it as a bedroom community after being priced out of the big (for Colorado) city to our west. But it wasn't just the Californians and pot smokers, we started getting a lot of folks coming in from all over the place. After Sandy Hook, when the will of the majority of the people of Colorado was totally betrayed by our governor and legislature, I started to notice the 'open carry as a political statement' folks in every grocery store and coffee shop I went to.

I can understand the desire to make a political statement, and to push back on the shifting of culture. I also support the right to advocate one's position in whatever legal manner they see fit. But this simply isn't the vehicle for me. I'm not out to draw undue attention to myself when I am out and about during the daily goings-on of life. And I've met plenty of gun-owning Republicans in my town who, despite full advocacy of the First Amendment, still don't feel particularly comfortable having their families muzzle-swept in the meat section of the grocery store. I am comfortable with conscientious gun owners exercising their right to open carry as a political statement, but the swath of the gun-owning public is wide, and not all that choose to open carry make the best ambassadors to the voting public. And a single open-carry idiot can do a lot more political damage to the cause than ten upstanding open-carry role models.

Short version: No objections to open carry for task-specific purposes. Some objection to open-carry as a political statement, primarily due to the scope of unintended political consequences a well-intentioned idiot can produce. So I guess I'd support it, but ask that those who choose to do it as a political statement do their best to not be that idiot, or abide his company in public places.

switchback, 2sharp2 and Scaramouche like this.

3. 4325

4325 New Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Same few incidents that have been touted for the last several years...considering those states have very active OC groups and there are hundreds (being conservative)OC ing in each of those state every single day ,which translates into thousands of interactions a day every day I'll leave the over the top hand wringing to others

wrmiller likes this.
  4. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    No worries Sir.......carry on.

5. Icewolverine

Icewolverine Active Member

Feb 4, 2017
    Because BBQ

DRD and Old Sarge like this.
  6. kevinlittell

kevinlittell Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2020
    Open carry while doing yard work...Taurus 85 or my curious favorite, the H&R 929 for critters and the neighbors amusement (or aggravation, which ever comes first)

Concealed in public, I get tired of the endless debates that open carry inspires...Plus my temper and patience for stupid is too short to be considered an Ambassador to the Open Carry cause... (I has a tendency to ask questions like "Why dont you?" or make statements like "None of your business, please relocate your ignorance")

DRD likes this.
  7. JitsGuy

JitsGuy Active Member

Aug 30, 2019
    Please, open carry! It will give the bad guy something to shoot at while I am getting my gun out.

henchman, Karsten, zipper046 and 3 others like this.
  8. givengive

givengive Happy!

Aug 31, 2018
    Because its easier for me to carry that way, and provides faster and easier access to my firearm.
    It lets people know I am armed, and I am not ashamed of it.
    I don't feel the need to hide my gun.
    Other people have told me they feel safer knowing I have a gun ready when I work my second job.
    I open carry because I want to know if things go bad I can quickly reach my firearm.

I personally do think that most people would avoid causing trouble with a openly armed person.
    Carrying openly is a defensive measure, hiding it is a offensive one.
    I know if I was going to rob a place I would avoid areas where I knew people would be armed for places where it's less likely that they are armed.

LEO here have no issue with me (or the few others) openly carrying because they know its legal, besides if I was going to commit a robbery I would want to hide it for a surprise element. Not openly walk around with it.

cgff, wrmiller and DRD like this.
  9. sparkyfender

sparkyfender Active Member

Nov 26, 2017
    I don't fret over the way other people carry, and find it odd that many people do.

wrmiller, DRD and Old Sarge like this.
  10. Dub

Dub born in the wrong century

Mar 19, 2017

Hopefully he doesn’t learn the hard way that Fobus is prone to part failure and could leave him with a dangerous holster.

11. ~JM~

~JM~ Wrinkled Member

Jan 23, 2017
    Often see open carry faux-pas. Guy standing in front of me at the check out line. Exposed 1911 @ 4-5 o'clock position, hammer down, no retention on holster, guy's hands are full. o_O

12. Old Sarge

Old Sarge Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2020
    Some states you have to open carry, they don't allow concealed. I know it sounds strange if you never lived in one of those states, I assume you ask about states where open carry is optional, and concealed carry is the norm?

13. Old Sarge

Jan 21, 2020
    Ever been to Biloxi? Everyone was packing at the Chik Fillet, no big deal for me, and I felt comfortable, just sayin.
    To each his own, none of my business how somebody carries, just glad you are :)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    wrmiller and DRD like this.
  14. Old Sarge

Jan 21, 2020
    How about..

p6mem.jpg

Acroyer and DRD like this.
  15. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 19, 2017
    Seems logical to me. :)

It often seems like if you are not careful you may get shot for what you look like, or
    by the danger you will be to the bad guy if not stopped. Put other ways, it's
    better to have the element of surprise & then strike swift, strike hard!

My good boy Thor would hide in the shadows then look you over. He knew the
    advantages of Cover & Concealment. So do I.

085.JPG

16. DRD

DRD Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 8, 2018
    To answer the original question: For protection, and because I can. Most of my carrying is of no issue at all, since I infrequently leave my place. Maybe a trip to the feed store, gas station, to my FFL. out to eat., etc.

I always carry OTW for one reason. It's comfortable. In the little town near me, nobody seems to care. If we go out to eat, I sometimes just cover my 1911 with a shirttail when entering/leaving, not wanting to advertise. I always try to face the entrance and chef's area and when I'm seated, I make sure have easy access to the weapon. Blah, blah, blah.

@Mike A, my like is for your beautiful dog!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    wrmiller and Mike A like this.
  17. givengive

givengive Happy!

Aug 31, 2018
    Because it's my right and I never carry unloaded. Round in the chamber and max magazine capacity. Sometimes as a political statement, sometimes to remind people that it is our heritage sometimes because it's simpler, sometimes to remind people that you can't count on the police and you have to have the ability and means to defend yourself and those around you. Sometimes to remind the government that there are limits to what we will allow them to do.

DRD likes this.
  18. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 19, 2017
    Thanks we really miss him.
    A real German Shepard, with Wolf in his line back 4 gens ago

switchback, wrmiller, DRD and 2 others like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted