Why does a gun lock back with certain mags and not others?

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by wrx04, Jan 11, 2012.

1. wrx04

wrx04 Member

Aug 24, 2011
    My CQB doesnt lock back with certain mags on random occasions. I went through and marked the ones it didnt lock with(about 8 of my 22 mags). Today at the range, a few that weren't marked failed to lock back too. What causes this and how do i fix it?

Every mag locked back fine with both my LB UTC and STI Trojan.....just not with the CQB. I did have a short trigger installed in the CQB by a local smith since getting the gun......not sure if this can cause it? The gun ran fine otherwise. How do i fix it?

2. John

John Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 7, 2011
    Could be mag springs getting weak, could be followers getting beat out of shape, could be the slide lock is out of spec. What kind of mags are you running? I do not believe the trigger should effect it.

3. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    What John said,........:thumb:

4. CanIhaveGasCash

CanIhaveGasCash Member

Sep 11, 2011
    I was going to post but looks like you got most of it.

I refuse to use magazines with plastic followers as they tend to wear quickly and cause this issue.

5. wrx04

wrx04 Member

Aug 24, 2011
    I dont think its the mag springs since it does it with some new mags as well. I am using all types of mags...wilson, cmc, baer, kimber, act......it fails to lock back with at least one of every type (except the act and kimber but i only have one of each). Its just weird because both my other guns work 100% with all of them.

6. AlchemyCustomWeaponry

AlchemyCustomWeaponry Crabby Old Gunsmith

Nov 4, 2011
    This can be due to a variety of issues. One weird one could be that the slide stop itself is not allowed to go high enough to lock the slide back securely.

It sounds like your problem is purely slide stop specific to that gun, and not really a mag problem. Call Wilson and give them the rundown on what's going on. Perhaps this is a known issue and they can remedy it.

7. wrx04

wrx04 Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Cool. Thanks for the input guys. Ill give wilson a call and see what they say.

8. John

John Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 7, 2011
    Wilson has a great (the best) CS reputation, I feel confident they'll take care of you.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted