1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Probably for the same reason Keith told you in 2019:

When we first started building 9mm's in quantity, we used the 9mm ejector but over time I found that I was grinding a majority of these back to improve cycling and ejecting spent brass. So much so that I then machined the remainder of our stock down to 38 ejector length and never looked back.

The extra long ejector makes sense in theory and if custom tuned for a specific pistol with a specific problem but in the real world make no sense at all.
https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?p=12799002

;)

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Probably for the same reason Keith told you in 2019:

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?p=12799002

;)
Lol. Funny how the same train of thought came around in my head again. I'm experiencing some erratic ejection with my 9mm Commander and one recommendation was to use a longer ejector. A few smiths say that they prefer to get the empty brass moving out of the gun as soon as possible.

·
I gotta have more cowbell
3,480 Posts
Lol. Funny how the same train of thought came around in my head again. I'm experiencing some erratic ejection with my 9mm Commander and one recommendation was to use a longer ejector. A few smiths say that they prefer to get the empty brass moving out of the gun as soon as possible.
I was getting some erratic ejection on my DW PM9. I discovered my thumb was running slightly agaist the slide. I didn't even feel it, but Keith at DW told me to pay attention to it and see if it went away. That was it. There is less authority with the 9 mm recoil and the little difference in resistance made a difference in ejection.

My pm9 slide was also slow. Some guys had success stepping up the spring tension by 1 lb. My gun did better running a spring one lb lighter than stock.

Be careful if you decide to experiment with extractor tension. I've found the window of adjustment is much smaller than 45 . It might be just my gun. Im curious if others have noticed this

·
Super Moderator
821 Posts
In my PM-9 I use a 12# recoil spring and a 21# main spring and have no problems with the gun whatsoever. Now has approx. 11,500 rounds through it and have owned the gun for 14 months.
Yes I do shoot it!

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was getting some erratic ejection on my DW PM9. I discovered my thumb was running slightly agaist the slide. I didn't even feel it, but Keith at DW told me to pay attention to it and see if it went away. That was it. There is less authority with the 9 mm recoil and the little difference in resistance made a difference in ejection.

My pm9 slide was also slow. Some guys had success stepping up the spring tension by 1 lb. My gun did better running a spring one lb lighter than stock.

Be careful if you decide to experiment with extractor tension. I've found the window of adjustment is much smaller than 45 . It might be just my gun. Im curious if others have noticed this
Very interesting point about riding the slide. I'll have to look into that.

One of the smiths I talked to recommended going down on the recoil spring. I've got the OEM 12 lb in the gun right now. As mentioned, the gun is a Valor Commander.

I'm also discovering that 9mm extractors are a bit more of a pain than 45 ACP extractors.

https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/9mm-extractor-tension.92731/

·
I gotta have more cowbell
3,480 Posts
In my PM-9 I use a 12# recoil spring and a 21# main spring and have no problems with the gun whatsoever. Now has approx. 11,500 rounds through it and have owned the gun for 14 months.
Yes I do shoot it!
I don't know what main spring came in my PM 9. Did you change yours to 21#? If so, do you know the factory spring weight

1 - 8 of 8 Posts