Why night sights?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by TxTrail80, Apr 29, 2020.

1. dasroofr

dasroofr Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2019
    Never had much use for the night sights I have had on some of my guns. Flashlight??? Mmmmmaybe....in some situations but.......I see it as a mean of identifying your location to, and providing a target for, whatever/whomever it is you are trying to see?????

Just sayin', chief......
    Gary

2. ChuckC

ChuckC Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 2, 2016
    Proper light utilization will only aid you in low light. 600-1000 lumens in your eyes will change the way you see things. Literally and figuratively.

Man of Corn, azpoolguy and TxTrail80 like this.

3. Songcatcher

Songcatcher Nose to the grindstone

Mar 15, 2018
    This. 100% this.

4. Roehl

Roehl Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2019
    I am personally not a fan of night sites. Fiber optic still work even in low light. Who shoots in total darkness? If you can’t see what you are shooting at, why pull the trigger? My personal favorite are black rears and a fiber optic front site. As far as seeing on the nightstand, when I wake up I can still see ok in the dark. Definitely well enough to find a gun on the nightstand. Plus night sites have to be replaced periodically or recharged. Just not into that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

isialk likes this.
  5. isialk

isialk Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 7, 2017
    I’m 63 and can’t really see the the night sights on my TRP at the range but they stand out in low light. Bought this little Springfield Hellcat right before the virus thing hit and haven’t live fired it yet. The sights jump out though day or night. Front is a white circle surrounding a green tritium dot. The rear is a white half moon. I’ve been snap capping the heck out of it during this stay home thing and I think there kinda nice. It’s sorta like playing those old (real old) little hand held games were you had to get the ball into the cup. Strange I know but slick. I think I like them. I’m with @Dub though. If someone comes blasting into my space I don’t know if I’ll be focusing on getting the ball in the cup!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dub likes this.
  6. sawman556

sawman556 Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2020
    When I was younger I thought tritium was mandatory on a HD/SD gun. Then as I grew it switched to front NS and all black rear. Now, at 50, I'm starting to question it again with my new DW Guardian. I struggle with seeing that little white ring at the range. So is not being able to see my sights at the range worth being able to see them at home in the very small chance I should ever need them? I have flash lights. I can easily point shoot a man size target in any room in your average house so there's that. And it's never really dark enough I can't see nothing and if I can't see anything is tritium even going to help me? So what to do? Gold bead? Fiber optic? I'd like an all black rear and a front sight that is usable on the indoor and outdoor range.

Roehl likes this.
  7. blamo

blamo Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2018
    Grab it in the dark and shoot something :cool:

Bmlewis5117 likes this.
  8. Bmlewis5117

Bmlewis5117 Member

Nov 19, 2019
    Grip it and rip it brah! I like your style.

blamo likes this.
  9. Rick McC.

Rick McC. Well-Known Member

May 3, 2013
    I don’t use sights; but my night stand guns have nite sights on them because it helps me find them in the dark.

Bmlewis5117 and fieldgrade like this.
  10. OldCuz

OldCuz So, I held this 1911 and then.... Supporting Addict

Mar 22, 2020
    Yeah, why night sights? Unless shooting in low light then yeah. But I only shoot inside under bright lights and outdoors in daylight. I use to think I needed night sights on everything. But no I don't. And if in low light or night I have gun mounted light or small streamlight. I like black in rear and green fiber optic front or gold bead.

11. Ted A Mc

Ted A Mc Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2019
    tenor.png

OldCuz likes this.
  12. ak_in_ca

ak_in_ca Well-Known Member

May 18, 2020
    If you've never done night time shooting, id suggest going to a good lowlight course since the majority of shootings take place in low light conditions. Night sights are invaluable as a tool and I have them on all of my carry weapons.

OttoLoader, Greg75, Jameeson and 4 others like this.
  13. Rick McC.

Rick McC. Well-Known Member

May 3, 2013
    They make it easy to find my pistol on the nite stand in the dark.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    UBOATDOC likes this.
  14. pistolpete

pistolpete Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2016
    They glow in the dark, help you find your pistol, if it's pitch black.

TxTrail80 likes this.
  15. Jhp147

Jhp147 Enthusiast

May 17, 2014
    It is entirely possible for your attacker to be in a well lit area and very visible and identifiable (in front of light colored wall of a building, only guy there, only guy pointing a gun at where he last saw me) while you have little to no light to illuminate your sights because you are taking cover behind a car and/or not under the same lights illuminating him. It is not "all light" or "all dark" out there.

Kip, TxTrail80, wrmiller and 2 others like this.
  16. jjfitch

jjfitch Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2012
    This:
    I train, practice and run low/no light matches. Night Sites, fiber optics and flashlights each have their place. If you choose a weapons mounted light be sure you understand the risks of pointing your firearm/light at perceived threats!

"You are responsible for every round that leaves your firearm. Know your target and what is beyond before you make the decision to fire"!

If you EDC/HD firearms, train for the scenarios you may encounter. Try a variety of firearms and sight set ups and make your decision on your needs.

"3 rounds, <3 seconds at 3 yards" means no sights or lights to eliminate the most common
    threat! Be prepared, train, practice, train, practice and repeat!

When training/practicing have someone shine a really powerful 500+ lumen light into your eyes and try to function!

Smiles,

Man of Corn, TxTrail80 and Rick McC. like this.
  17. ChuckC

ChuckC Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 2, 2016
    3 rounds 3 seconds at 3 yards isn’t an irons shot. It’s a gross sight picture. And that’s still a pretty low standard. What if you have a 2 second problem?

18. bnaples

bnaples Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    20191016_162145.jpg the white ball...

TSean, Whiten, Mike Meints and 4 others like this.
  19. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    I don't understand all the wailing and gnashing of teeth here. If you like them, us them. If you don't like them, don't use them. What's the big deal? :rolleyes:

Kip, studenygreg, Whiten and 8 others like this.
  20. jjfitch

jjfitch Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2012
    <3 seconds = Less than 3 seconds! And yes, "gross sight picture"! Push out, press trigger, two to center mass and access and scan!

Not my standard, I "read it on the internet"!

Smiles,

Man of Corn likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted