Why Not...

Discussion in 'STI/2011' started by Ken Gallagher, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Ken Gallagher

Ken Gallagher Active Member

May 17, 2015
    0CA153CD-DF46-4631-B9AA-D3B682DC611B.jpeg 5DF613D7-6FEE-4D32-A95E-CEF055AADC9D.jpeg E91A4199-9BF1-48CC-B422-522315A192FC.jpeg Always admired STI Race guns from back in the '90s so when the opportunity to trade for an STI arose I said "why not"! I carry Wilson Combat's, a Stealth and a Super Sentinel so I was not looking for another carry but rather a Big, Full Sized, Range/Steel gun for "fun!" The STI DVC Tactical with threaded barrel arrived... Decided to add a Gunfighter" muzzle brake (Why Not...), changed out the 10# recoil spring for a Wolf Adaptive 8# spring (compensate for the brake) and headed to the range. First and foremost, the STI EXCEEDED my every expectation and many I didn't know I had... Love the Heinie sights and the "pointability" of the gun... She is a PLEASURE to shoot. I was also amazed at her accuracy... (Frankly, being a WC, 1911 snob, this gun has given me a whole lot of soul searching to do!) The first target was shot at 25 yards rested using 3 flavors of 9 mm, Freedom Munitions 147 gr., WC 135 gr. and Remington 124 gr.. The targets speak for themselves, albeit the Remington ammo will not be in my bag in the future! The second target, using the same ammo, was shot at 10 yards free hand with several "speed rounds", 5 round magazines emptied in <2.5 seconds (You can see the wider dispersion from the speed rounds). All in all, no failures of any kind, very smooth, accurate handgun AND now has me thinking what my next STI purchase will be...

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  2. Outerlimits

Outerlimits Member

Mar 22, 2018
    I own two Wilsons myself an X tac Elite in .45 and an EDC x9. Love both. Got a deal on an STI DVC 3 Gun, didn't have a 2011 and bought it. My experience was the same as yours, although no muzzle brake on mine. The STI fit my hand perfect, all the controls I could reach, trigger was smooth and light. What a joy to shoot. The groups from the STI are consistently tighter at 10,15 and 25 yards than with my CZ Spo1 Target that I think the world of and shot that the best of all my 9mm until the STI.
    I carried it one step farther and bought another STI, this time a DVC Carry Host, and put a Trijicon RMR on it. What a sweet little gun that is also.

Nemain and Kip like this.

3. Wisemenofgotham

Wisemenofgotham Member

Oct 14, 2017
    Very nice! I always liked that model, too bad STI discontinued it.

4. firecatwilson

firecatwilson Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Thinking of a muzzle brake also for my threaded barreled Marauder.

5. Descartian

Descartian Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2017
    firecatwilson likes this.