Why the 45acp revolver?

Discussion in 'Revolvers' started by HooDoo Man, Jun 11, 2020.

1. 41 Charlie

41 Charlie Get off my lawn...

Feb 4, 2014
    These are some of the very best S&W offerings! My 25-2 is one of the most accurate shooters I own. Incidentally, the DA pull is pretty sweet too!

gps man and rmac like this.
  2. RSCamaro

RSCamaro Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2017
    You NEED! the Mooner Tool, spin em on, spin em off. Maybe not for 45acp but 38/357/44, YES. Costly but 100% worth it if you have 10-50 moon clips to load regularly.

http://www.bmtequipped.com/purchase.php

...Ron

rmac likes this.

3. StrawHat

StrawHat Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2015
    Tools for putting cartridges into full moon clips can be purchased or home built. I built a lever actuated tool and was using it to load some of my full moon clips. Pop was watching and went to his tool drawers and came back with his large water pump pliers. Next thing I see, Pop’s squeezing two rounds at a time into the clips with the pliers.

All sorts of ingenious remedies for loading the clips.

If you still use 1/2 moon clips here is how the factory loaded them in 1917.

A310F865-489B-4AE7-A36D-06F368CBA00E.jpeg

Kevin

gps man and rmac like this.
  4. Rosco45

Rosco45 New Member

Apr 26, 2018
    We all know "why" the .45ACP revolver. It was a case of not being able to produce enough 1911's for WWI. They are fun and, if you routinely reload .45ACP, you already have fodder for them.

That said, they have some issues as a carry gun. They are BIG...N-frame or Colt New Service sized pistols. Their trigger reach is long. The full moon clips are great for speedloads, but you can't top off a revolver from which you've fired 2 or 3 shots before proceeding onward. You have to dump the whole moon clip. Even if you do retain the partially depleted moon, the loaded rounds still in it are of no use to you because you can't get it back into the cylinder...not without stripping out the empties. The full moon clips themselves are a nuisance to carry, unless you're using gear that is only fit for matches.

For fun and games they're great. For daily carry, not so good.

Rosco

5. acesover

acesover Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2018
    I will soon be in the market for one of these pistols.

HooDoo Man likes this.
  6. WhoIsJohnGalt?

WhoIsJohnGalt? We Are! Supporting Addict

Feb 20, 2018
    Nah, one can’t carry those big-a$$ N-frames and moon clips at all, not at all.

;)

Moon Pouch from Jeffrey Custom Gunleather shown does an admirable job making a moon clip concealable and portable. Love how this pouch works.

Not shown as well is a 625 Mountain Gun in an IWB Summer Classic holster from Barranti.

Is all this as cozy / comfy / etc. to me as a 1911 and two spare magazines carried IWB? No, though I have a lot more time down the line personally carrying a 1911.

But it can be done if one wants to.

80AF48C3-3AD3-4804-B7CB-128CA97539CB.jpeg

6F5C399D-C8A8-4A2A-9EA1-6C9EC567A803.jpeg

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted