wierd barrel bushing......

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Drgracin72, Feb 7, 2012.

  1. Drgracin72

    Drgracin72 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

    Oct 9, 2011
  2. Kruzr

    Kruzr Hangin' In Supporting Addict

    Sep 7, 2011
    That is a Series 70 collet bushing. It makes for a tight lockup at the muzzle with a Series 70 type barrel with the bulge at the end. The rub was they kept breaking. I found it was usually from people turning the bushing with the barrel in battery. Like Les Baers, if you push the barrel forward and then turn them, they are loose, as they were designed to be.

    My S70 Colt still has the original collet "finger" bushing.

  3. paid4c4

    paid4c4 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

    Sep 26, 2011
    My Colt Government Mark IV Series 70 built in 1971 has what I believe to be the original collet bushing. They looked weird but worked well.
  4. Earlsbud

    Earlsbud Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

    Aug 28, 2011
    They are the unloved, ugly red headed step child of barrel bushings.
  5. deadguy

    deadguy Charlie Daniels Supporting Addict

    Sep 7, 2011
    I have a series 80 gov with a collet. Sharp little bugger but a great fit on the barrel.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Draft saved Draft deleted