Wife surprised me with an M1 Garand from CMP

Discussion in 'Rifles & Shotguns' started by fallenangelhim, Aug 6, 2020.

1. CoalCracker.

CoalCracker. Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2020
    Awesome congrats. I have 2 milsurps a Mosin Nagant and a Argentine mauser.
    DSCF8282.JPG DSCF8339.JPG

fallenangelhim likes this.
  2. Eric

Eric Cav Troopers Dad

Sep 10, 2011
    If you sign up for the emails from the CMP they run specials on ammo or have in the past. Great rifles, I have one that I got several years back and have about 1000 rounds of ammo for it. Haven’t shot it a lot but it’s fun. Congrats on the Garland and a wife willing to get you a great gift.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

simonp and fallenangelhim like this.

3. 7.62Kolectr

7.62Kolectr On guard

Jun 6, 2018

Get ammo from the CMP. They have factory fresh Hornady 150gr FMJs and 168gr Amax in stock. Good clean new ammo at a reasonable price. I recently got two cases (200rnds per case), one of each from them.

https://estore.thecmp.org/?page=2&pagesize=24&cat=AMC&sub=all&sort=name&mode=grid

I like that yours is a Winchester too! Super nice.

2sharp2, simonp, FWoo45 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Deputy25

Deputy25 Active Member

Feb 13, 2018
    There are a few manufacturers that load facsimile 147/150 grain M2 ball ammo (Garand). If you use most common hunting loads (180 grain) you can damage the operating rod. There is a device called the Shuster(sp) Gas Plug that allows you to adjust for any 30-06 ammo you would care to use. I have 5 CMP Garands (Springfield/H&R/International/Winchester/WW2 Springfield). I bought a bit of surplus M2 from CMP over the years, so I have a good supply. I do have a couple Shuster plugs just in case. My older Springfield had a letter and photo in the buttstock from 1944 (whole 'another story). My son and I have shot Garands in the J.C. Garand match for a number of years. We also have several of the 16 inch WW2 bayonets for the Garands. If you are going to swat or stab someone with an empty rifle, the M1 Garand is the one you use.

5. fallenangelhim

fallenangelhim chicken wings

Jan 18, 2018
    Share the story! My buttstock is empty. :(

6. 7.62Kolectr

7.62Kolectr On guard

Jun 6, 2018
    Any factory made SAAMI spec ammo 180gr and under is fine for a Garand.
    The adjustable gas plug and ‘Garand’ specific ammo are gimmicks. Even the manual he has that came with it from the CMP says factory ammo 180grs and under is fine for the gun.
    The op rod is bent by design. There’s plenty of info available dispelling the rumors regarding using regular .06 in them.

rmac, Spokes and fallenangelhim like this.
  7. Havoc35

Havoc35 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2020
    Ugh, congrats man. I shot service rifle for a couple years and went to camp perry and bought a couple. My Springfield 1943 garand is among the crown jewels of my collection. Still my favorite rifle to shoot. IMG_20130429_114528_641.jpg

Here's mine.

Attached Files:

8. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    Congrats Peter I knew you said you were looking to get that.. Oh btw the little flat head screw driver we used to adjust your sr45 rear sight.. Any chance you seen what I did with that doggone thing? I've searched everywhere today, that is my mag release screw driver lol.

9. Deputy25

Deputy25 Active Member

Feb 13, 2018
    A lad (Marine) was awaiting discharge in San Diego after hostilities ceased in the Pacific. He lived in Vermont (Burlington), and had a letter and a photo from his bride to be in the buttstock of his M1. It apparently was turned in, contents of the stock were forgotten. I received that stock (not sure how much of the rifle was still intact at that point) in the early 2000s from the CMP. I was removing the metal from the stock prior to refinishing and found the photo and letter. They weren't in great shape but were legible. Turns out the marine and his now wife were still alive and living in the Burlington area. Document and photo were returned to them.

rmac, JD31, Bender and 12 others like this.
  10. fallenangelhim

Jan 18, 2018
    It might have ended up on the grass or your pocket? I checked my stuff and it didn’t fall into anything. :/

11. fallenangelhim

Jan 18, 2018
    Get out of here! That is awesome you were able to find them and return everything over. Did he ask to see his rifle?

rmac, livinthelife, UBOATDOC and 2 others like this.
  12. fallenangelhim

Jan 18, 2018
    Funny. Tag said 1949. Serial number on two internet databases show 1943.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  13. x95mk220

x95mk220 #1. I am powerless against a well built 1911.

Jun 17, 2018
    Does your wife happen to have a good looking sister!?! I’ve never met a woman who would consider the thought of that (probably most the ladies I choose are literally crazy and spawns of satan). Looks like you have a keeper, I’ve always wanted one of them to hear that puh-ting! Of the loader thingie flying out of that beaut! Very Nice !

14. gps man

gps man Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Well done young Grasshopper!

rmac, Spokes, ZoidMeister and 3 others like this.
  15. FNFAN

FNFAN Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

May 15, 2013
    That's a real nice lady ya got there!

gps man, fallenangelhim and FWoo45 like this.
  16. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    It's a WWII Rebuild. If you need help, just ask.

The 30-06 here is Korean War vintage. I used to refurbish them by the hundreds in the late 70s.

rmac, simonp, gps man and 1 other person like this.
  17. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    PS congratulations and welcome to the world of classics. Look for M2 ball. If you're going to reload, you want military brass.

18. goodguywithagun

goodguywithagun Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 30, 2016
    Very nice gesture on your Wife’s part.
    The Winchester is the way to go ! Congrats.

Send the next one to Shuff’s Parkerizing and ask for the Mini-G treatment. Thats my plan, but I’m still waiting for my Wife to get it for me. Might be a while.

View attachment 562247

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk View attachment 562249

gps man and Spokes like this.
  19. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    It’s a Dec 43, there weren’t any post war Winchesters made

fallenangelhim and ZoidMeister like this.
  20. fallenangelhim

Jan 18, 2018
    That makes this even better. Still reading about details. Thanks!

Bender and gps man like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted