1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an itch for a decent 9mm carry pistol. I have enough plastic guns, and want something with a bit of heft. And accurate. And a good trigger.

For background, I typically carry a P229 in 357sig, or a P220. Sometimes a commander 1911 in 45.

I have a 92fs Inox that I enjoy shooting, and was leaning towards a Wilson Centurion. However, I also have a TSO that I love, and there are a couple CGW CZs in the classifieds have me reconsidering...

Would anyone like to comment on how these two might compare?
Or do I just need another 1911?

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I am not a DA/SA guy at all and have tried wigs and HKs and couldn’t get used to them. I just recently acquired a WC centurion w action tune and trigger bar and it is pretty darn sweet. I also have a Langdon tactical 92 elite with NP3 and trigger bar, another highly recommended choice! Unfortunately I am not into CZs so can’t provide you with any insight as to how they compare

·
Registered
173 Posts
You ever check out a CZ 97? Add a CGW Pro Package and you get a pretty awesome trigger, it's all steel with a full length dust cover, so plenty of heft, and is plenty accurate. It's available with either safety or decocker, it just doesn't get much better that that. This was my all time favorite pistol until I got a Sig P220R, I just shoot the Sig better than anything else I've ever owned. Later.

Dave

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just recently acquired a WC centurion w action tune and trigger bar and it is pretty darn sweet. I also have a Langdon tactical 92 elite with NP3 and trigger bar, another highly recommended choice!
Thanks! Do you prefer one over the other?

You ever check out a CZ 97?
I thought those were .45 – I'll check it out, thanks!

I'd say Langdon LTT Elite Compact with the trigger job. Sounds like exactly what your looking for.
Ok, so definitely looking into Langdon. Thanks!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have a cajunized cz pcr and it's accurate and not too heavy for a carry gun, never had a failure of any kind and I shoot it a lot. Love it...
You own Berettas so you know about them I never carried one just seemed too bulky but if you can carry a sig p229 you should have no problem with a 92 either...btw that's the only other gun I never had a failure with so good choice either way...

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Based on my personal preferences, I think you are on the right track in considering a 9mm CZ or Beretta. A high quality 1911 also is a good choice but the problem is it will cost 2 times the customized, utterly reliable CZ or Beretta.

I have years of Beretta carry time but do not currently carry one as I have gone to 1911 operating system and do not like changing systems when I carry different guns. (Although I am having a SAO, frame safety Beretta 92 built and will carry it after I get it.)

As to the CZs, I own and have owned a bunch. They are a great carry gun and you can get a CZ Customs or CGW one that is really slick and accurate for what is a bargain by 1911 standards. I find the safety on CZs, especially the TSO, is a little ergonomically harder to get into the on position but as easy as a 1911 to swipe off. If you go CZ, I recommend going with a basic CZ 75b model from Customs or CGW, not the SP01 or other more competition oriented guns because the original design is a lot lighter for carry. I had 2 SP01s I traded because I thought they were too heavy comparatively, also they have a quirk with the safety and you have to install an extra power safety detent spring to safely carry cocked and locked. Here are photos the type of CZs I would recommend.

The top 2 guns have a heavier Shadow slide while the stainless has the classic 75b, thinner slide. They are all from CZ Customs.

9BEC5EA9-B3A9-451C-9CBB-63E6687869F8.jpeg
4DFBBA00-7B8E-4CB4-81B5-1E0BDDA0D7BD.jpeg

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
check out cz custom. if you like what you see , email them. they are not out of stock, they are customized.
a nice P-01 is a good carry

otherswise find a beretta compact--

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Based on my personal preferences, I think you are on the right track in considering a 9mm CZ or Beretta. A high quality 1911 also is a good choice but the problem is it will cost 2 times the customized, utterly reliable CZ or Beretta.

I have years of Beretta carry time but do not currently carry one as I have gone to 1911 operating system and do not like changing systems when I carry different guns. (Although I am having a SAO, frame safety Beretta 92 built and will carry it after I get it.)

As to the CZs, I own and have owned a bunch. They are a great carry gun and you can get a CZ Customs or CGW one that is really slick and accurate for what is a bargain by 1911 standards. I find the safety on CZs, especially the TSO, is a little ergonomically harder to get into the on position but as easy as a 1911 to swipe off. If you go CZ, I recommend going with a basic CZ 75b model from Customs or CGW, not the SP01 or other more competition oriented guns because the original design is a lot lighter for carry. I had 2 SP01s I traded because I thought they were too heavy comparatively, also they have a quirk with the safety and you have to install an extra power safety detent spring to safely carry cocked and locked. Here are photos the type of CZs I would recommend.

The top 2 guns have a heavier Shadow slide while the stainless has the classic 75b, thinner slide. They are all from CZ Customs.

View attachment 450919 View attachment 450921
NICE!!

Reactions: Greenrunner

·
I wanna go fast!
183 Posts
I have CZs from Cajun and CZ Custom. As far as trigger work both get you similar results. If you call the shops Cajun definitely has the best customer service. You can actually buy the parts from Cajun and they will talk you through the installation on the phone.

The CZ PCR is around the same size as a Glock 19 and is a great carry gun, especially after they get massaged by either CZ Custom or Cajun. Berettas are nice but they can’t get close to to the CZ, you just can’t do the same type of modifications.

if you want the ultimate CZ carry gun look at the Pro-Tek from CZ Custom.

·
High Power Fan
59 Posts
While I have never fired the Beretta, I do have a CZ 75 Compact and a CZ P01, both Cajunized. Great triggers and lots of fun to shoot.

For carry, I prefer my Alloy Detective High Power though I would consider the slightly larger slightly and heavier P01. I think I'm just a single action guy.

·
I like this place !
680 Posts
I have the WC Beretta Centurion and a CZ Shadowline 75 P01, and both are great for different reason. What is your intended use f this pistol. If you’re looking for a range/game/carry pistol go with the WC Beretta. WC Beretta has a great SA trigger, and DA is very good....but still a first shot DA.

My Shadow Line CZ is a game gun. It is a DA/SA “competition” pistol which means it does not have a decocker or FPS, but you can manually drop the hammer. Then first shot is DA, follow up shots are SA. However, you can also use it “cocked and locked” SA mode.

I decided I wanted an SAO pistol so I added a straight trigger which makes it an SAO, can no longer use DA, then removed the disconnect. Also added larger “paddle” style slide safety to replace the small slide safety it came with. Result was an SAO with a 2 3/4# trigger, as good as any pistol I’ve ever shot.

So it depends on what your looking for. You would have about the same amount of $$$ in either pistol, the CZ is around $1000 if you can find one, then add the cost of the straight trigger, slide safeties and labor, unless you an do the work yourself. WC Beretta or CZ....you’re looking at two very good manufacturers. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have the WC Beretta Centurion Tac and a CZ Custom Compact Shadow. Both are sweet DA/SA carry pistols. I guess it depends whether you want your first shot to be DA. Both are awesome and pretty close in trigger pull. To me the WC Beretta with the Action tune is a smoother trigger pull in DA and about the same in SA (6 lbs. 3 oz. DA and 2lbs. 10 oz SA). The CZ Custom Compact Shadow has a better reset. (6 lbs. 7 oz. DA and 2 lbs. 9 oz SA). The CZ Custom is typical Shadow without a FPS so not sure if that is an issue for you for carry. No drop safety. It has the low profile thumb safety so not as easy to flip off when carrying locked and cocked SA. I feel like the CZ Compact Shadow is a smaller/thinner pistol. I definitely carry the CZ IWB but the Beretta is only OWB for me. All that being said I prefer my WC EDC X9 over both other choices. More 1911 ish. SA only with a manual safety.

·
I wanna go fast!
183 Posts
It gets expensive when you start modifying Berettas and CZs. Less for a Beretta but there are less options there. Personally I wouldn’t carry either out of the box. For out of the box I would do a Vigil Commander or CCO, which has a checkered aluminum frame, night sights, beaver tail, and a decent trigger. Trade off is 10 round capacity. Next price jump would be an out of the box EDC X9 with 15 round capacity.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts