Wilson Bullet Proof Ambi Safeties

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by awpk03s, Jan 20, 2012.

1. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Got two of these babies en route from Brownells. Going to fit and replace the Kimber ambis on my Nighthawks, then send them off to Springer Precision to get them done in IonBond to match the guns.

I have 3 spare ambis at home - 2 Ed Browns and one Kimber. My debate is whether to try to fit the Wilsons myself (after practicing with my spares) or just go to the smith.

We'll see :thumb:

2. Mythree

Mythree Banned Supporting Addict

Oct 9, 2011

3. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    Do it yourself.

Remove the BTGS and grips. This should help you to see the engagement area of the TS sear block. Turn it on/off and watch the stock TS work. This will give you an idea of what and where to file. Then file down the new TS, once you're close to the profile of the old, then go one to two strokes at a time and then test fit.

A lot easier to remove than to put metal back on.

4. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN NRA member Supporting Addict

Dec 24, 2011
    Why not have springer do it?

Lmk what you think of the Wilson compared to the brown. I wanna try a brown wide soon.

5. Wheezy

Wheezy Bullet Banger Supporting Addict

Aug 31, 2011
    This may help a little

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    Just to point out, in that diagram, the sear and TS block seems to have a gap between the two surfaces. The picture is slightly angle, thus is showing a slight angle on that sear. There shouldn't be a gap between the two surfaces, and should have a secure contact between the block and sear.

7. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Thanks guys. I'm at least going to take one on a detail strip and see how it all works. I might try fitting one of the Browns or a Kimber just for grins, and if it works out - I might give the new Wilson one a shot.

As to having Springer do it... I'd prefer to avoid having to pay the $$ to ship two handguns overnight to them, not to mention being without them for 6-8 weeks. This way I (or my gunsmith) fit the new parts, put old parts back on, and then keep shooting/using the pistols while I wait to get the new ones back from finishing.

8. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I received the Wilson Bulletproof ambis today from Brownells. These parts are truly impressive. They just ooze exacting machining and perfection, as well as a very tight lockup of the two mating sides. The blue is very nice also, but I will still have them done in Ionbond to match the guns.

taboy69 likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted