close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Wilson Classic Supergrade Quality vs Custom Build?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by jst1tym, Sep 30, 2011.

1. jst1tym

jst1tym What No Delete Button? Supporting Addict

Aug 23, 2011
    I'm curious, since somebody posted a link to C J Bryan's website and I've had the pleasure to browse his customs, if you had the $$'s would you prefer to go the custom build route (any custom builder) or buy a production pistol like a Classic or Tactical Supergrade? I can see advantages of both ways to go but I'm curious what some of you folks think? I'm really liking what I see recently with some of the custom builds and opinions of them on some of these forums. I guess going the Wilson path you get a top of the line production pistol, that is mostly consistant in fit and finish, a quality dealer with a track record of good customer service and reputation. The Wilson looks to be a nice looking 1911, and you can have some limited options included in your build, and a reasonable pricetag (considering)

The custom build. Built usually by one person, super high quality (with a reputable builder) from the ground up you can specify your preferred options. Very reliable, beautifully built and superb fit and finish. A very personable one on one relationship with builder, a one-off of a kind unique pistol. Accurate and reliable...

Yes, there are the cons of both, wait lists for custom builders, build times for both, $$'s spent..

Is it reasonable to assume should you decide to sell it down the road for reasons unexpected ie; health, or loss of job, unexpected family tragedies, etc, that you could recoup most of you $$'s if kept in reasonably good condition?

This is a fantasy question and serious replies like it's too much to spend and such is not what I'm looking for. This is in a parallel universe where everybody has the money and is looking to make an informed decision. I've just been thinking about it since seeing more and more posts lately with custom built 1911's and gave it some quick thought! Thanks

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  2. Trent

Trent Site Founder Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    I would go full custom all the way if money is not a concern. Especially over a Wilson.

3. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    I would go full custom for that kind of money simply because I could specify everything form the ground up.

4. Metaloy

Metaloy Active Member

Sep 8, 2011
    You should know that with a Wilson SG you ARE getting a hand built pistol by only one person. IMO what the difference is, is that the Wilson has speced out their SG like THEY think it should be. You can make changes but it is still pretty much as you see it. Where as another custom build you get exactly what YOU want. Parts from whatever manufacture YOU choose.

I recently had the pleasure of getting a current production Tactical Elite in for Metaloy. As I said here and other places...WOW!! It was rock solid and smooth as melted butter! If the SG is better I don't think I can stand it. I'm not a Wilson spokes person but I do have to call them like I see them. Current Wilson pistols are A number 1!!

5. 38 Super Fan

38 Super Fan Bass Fishing Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Wilson's Supergrades are probably on par with the elite custom shops in quality, but if I'm shelling out that kind of dough, I want something completely unique, built exactly like I want. $4500 for something that says Wilson, just won't work for me, I don't mean to knock Wilson, the quality is there, but SGs just don't have the aura of a custom build.

6. geohans

geohans New Member

Sep 1, 2011
    IMO the Wilson frame and BP parts are the best available. Barrel, pretty close.

You are limited in choices on finish and sights. The finish, IMO, is a weak spot-- no equivalent to IonBond

OTOH you have the highest level of fitting and assembling. The wait is reasonably finite. . . that's not the case with any well known smith.

Also there will be an inherent resale value that will stay with the Wilson.

7. Spokes

Spokes Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 18, 2011
    I am too old now to wait for a full custom. I would go for a Wilson or Nighthawk. Don't care for Brown or Baer.

8. thecableguy

thecableguy I hate this addiction Supporting Addict

Aug 16, 2011
    I would go for a custom build. I just received my WC and I love it, but after the price hike I probably wouldn't buy another one. For the price of the SG I would go full build and not think twice about it.

9. deadguy

deadguy Glen Campbell Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    Full build from one of the little guys for me.

One of a hundred is more appealing to me than one of a few thousand.

10. EBfan

EBfan New Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Can you elaborate?

11. Trent

Trent Site Founder Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    Wislons are very good quality guns I am sure. BUT after the price hike, I think they are over priced. For the price you can get a full custom built, and it will be truly YOUR GUN. Not one that you pick out that tons of other people can just say "Hey, I want that."

12. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I'd go Heirloom for sure. :thumb:

13. jst1tym

Aug 23, 2011
    After seeing some of the custom builds lately, I would love to own one, and have it really done my way! Not so much flash but geared towards total functioning. A little flash is ok too! I don't think it's going to happen in my lifetime unless something unexpected happens that has me acquiring big $$'s...I can dream still though..

14. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    Custom for sure, but with the current wait times, good luck. I think most builders are 4+ years right now. :jaw:

15. Gary1911A1

Gary1911A1 Active Member

Sep 12, 2011
    At 59 I wouldn't go custom as the wait from some pistolsmiths are at least double if not three times longer than advertised and I'd rather be shooting a Wilson/Baer semi custom I could get in a few months than waiting.

16. brisk21

brisk21 Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Id rather have a Supergrade myself, but thats just me.

17. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    It all depends on the smith. While mine isn't a full-house build, I had mine back in 3 months. However, I feel that I was extremely lucky.

18. EBfan

EBfan New Member

Sep 13, 2011
    There isnt alot of things you cannot have on a supergrade that you can on a small custom shop. price increase notwithstanding.

19. jst1tym

Aug 23, 2011
    The Supergrades are almost running a year to build also, so it's not a quick fix if needed!

I browsed Joe's site today, very awesome pistols also. I really shouldn't even be looking..my wife said that they can make you go blind!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  20. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    I think I would lean towards having Taurus' Custom Shop slap something together for me.

:tongueout::rofl2:

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted