1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I am getting very close to retirement, I am thinking of acquiring an upper level (for me) 1911. My current 1911's are a Springfield Stainless TRP and Range Officer Compact. Both 45's. This will probably be my last gun outright purchase. I don't have unlimited funds so, I'm trying to cap my out of pocket to around $2500. My question is, do you think a new Wilson Combat American Combat Pistol (APC) full size in. 45, would be a nice upgrade from my TRP? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
You’re going to get 1,000 different opinions and suggestions on the topic I’m certain but I’ll say yes it’s a nice upgrade. I like Wilson’s, they make a good product & they stand behind their work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
There are too many options to state a clear answer for the individual, but if I were looking at this being my one big purchase I'd want to cover my bases. Have you experienced the Eagle Claw grip and slide treatment? I have not. It looks fine, but will you prefer it to standard checkering? Have you compared the final cost of an ACP with a CQB? I have never been in the same room as an ACP, but from my experience it is hard to beat the CQB as a "vanilla" semi-custom.

My personal hang up would be the front strap treatment. I simply don't know if it suits me or not and of course only you can answer that for yourself. I believe Wilson may have high prices, but they set a lot of standards that the rest now take for granted and I regularly referred to my CQB as a "perfect pistol". Free from tool marks, everything lines up right, feels great in the hand and it shoots.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
You should be able to find a lightly used CQB or X Tac within your price point. I have an X Tac that has served me very well, and Wilson (like most quality builders) does stand behind their product.

I don't like the front strap treatment on the ACP. The "eagle claw" looks ugly and cheap in my humble opinion. It would have been better if Wilson just left it smooth and knocked an extra $50 off the MSRP.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I really like the look of the eagle claw but do not have any experience with the feel. But my curiosity is peaked. Seems like a lot of gun for the $

·
Premium Member
A self-induced gun addict, pistols, rifles and an 870
35 Posts
Unless you just want to say you have a Wilson, check out Dan Wesson's lineup, a lot of gun for not as much coin.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all. I got input that I was looking for. I've changed my preference a little. Still want a full size 45, but going to open up the playing field a little bit. The Wilson CQB has really caught my eye. Also the Dan Wesson offerings need some more digging into. Not apples to apples but my TRP is my current benchmark to try to upgrade from.

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
I'm a NH, WC, & GI guy but for what your wanting to spend, I'd seriously consider a SS Ed Brown. They are really fine firearms!

BCD 45

·
Registered
18 Posts
I say get the exact gun you want, with the slide markings you want, and the exact features you want, even if it costs a few dollars more. A year or two from now you'll pick up that gun and admire it for being exactly what you had always wanted. You sure don't want a retirement gun to be less than what you really wanted just so you could save a few bucks.

·
Registered
490 Posts
As mentioned a few times, the classifieds can be a good way to go.

I do have one more Wilson .45 I was getting ready to list that could potentially be up your alley...a CQB Elite built in 2008, but has been well cared for.

Asking price will be under your budget.

But if you’re looking to go new, I totally understand that as well. I generally like to get new so I can order exactly what I want. If you do go new, go through a dealer like Gunslingers. You’ll be able to get more than just an ACP within your budget.

Now if you really like the looks of the ACP, you’ll be well served. I personally like the eagle claw grip. The only reason I haven’t bought one is the limitations on other options.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I can add this.
Order what you want.

When it shows up and you are holding exactly what you wanted.......the price never comes to mind.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I handled a new acp at a local store and loved the look and feel of the eagle claw grip and ordered one for myself. The acp is built to the exact same standards and quality as any other wilson.

·
In Kentucky
9,511 Posts
I have 2 trps. One stainless and one black. These have 20 lpi checkering. If you like that Wilson checkering is 30 lpi plus xtac and now eagle claw. My son sent a black trp to Wilson combat and had it turned into a tactical elite. Only parts Wilson used of the trp is slide frame and magwell. One of the finest shooting 1911s I ever shot. I had a Jim Hoag master grade pistol. I put approximately 100,000 rounds through it. That's 1 option. A Ed Brown stainless is the best looking stainless pistol I've seen.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
If this is a once in a lifetime gun, you should spend a year shopping around, touching everything, then order what you like best and spend another $1,000 if necessary. If you’re like a lot of us and you’re going to buy 10 or more high end 1911’s before you get too old to drive to the FFL, then just do that as you’re plan. Either way it’s a lot of fun.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
You won’t be disappointed in a Wilson. Alchemy Custom Weaponry, Guncrafter, Nightawk, Ed Brown, and Dan Wesson also makes great firearms. But if I was spending 2500, I would watch the classifieds and get one that matched what I would wanted. However that may be difficult if you are very specific about what you like. I bought my Guncrafter and Nighthawk here on this forum. I saved money and I am very happy. But I also had to make a few compromises. I did buy a Colt reissue 1911 that I plan on sending to someone for customization in the future. Just haven’t made my mind up exactly what I want to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks all for your input! I started digging through all the custom 1911's and made my decision. I am going to order a Les Baer Custom Carry. Found a dealer that can give me what I want without special ordering. Thanks again for all your input.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts