Wilson Combat 1911 Grip Safety Training Tip

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Amp Mangum, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Amp Mangum

Amp Mangum Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2018
  2. Cousin Vinny

Cousin Vinny Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Good stuff, never hurts to go over the basics and keep your
    Weapon tuned.
    Cousin Vinny

boatdoc likes this.

3. fieldgrade

fieldgrade resident crank

Mar 13, 2017
    I am "That guy" when it comes to presenting my 1911 and the trigger not always going bang. Since I ride the thumb safety, I wonder if I would be better served with skinnier "tactical" thumb safeties than the wide lever Wilson Bullet Proof thumb safeties I've put on several of my match blasters.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  4. Greenrunner

Greenrunner Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    I had the problem for a while. My weak hand was getting too far to the rear and under the grip of my strong hand, thereby creating a pocket as Larry Vickers says. I had to recalibrate to shift my weak hand forward on the grip and focus on pressing the heels of my hands inward.

5. apipeguy

apipeguy Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2014
    I’ve had an issue just a couple times and then I just concentrate on a very firm grip with my right hand index and pinky fingers and all is well.

6. Greenrunner

Greenrunner Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    I also have a couple of the wide safeties and thought that might be the problem, but comparing my grips on those guns to other guns, my right (strong) thumb was in the same position. Finally figured out it was the weak (left) hand placement.

7. JohnK

JohnK Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2016
    I have had these issues before and started working on my grip strength with captains of crush level 1 and 2. They have made a big difference and haven't had any grip safety issues since I have been working on it.

8. Richard B

Richard B New Member

Nov 13, 2018

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted