Wilson Combat Beretta or Shadow 2 Custom

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Badabing11, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Badabing11

Badabing11 I gotta have more cowbell

Sep 6, 2015
    I've had a long time appreciation for the Wilson Beretta 92 Brigadier with the action job. I have also been interested in a CZ Shadow 2 custom target for some time.

If you could only have one, what would you choose and why?

Hopefully I can hear from owners of both and hear their preference.

Thanks all,

Jeff

esmith1721 likes this.
  2. Journeyman1234

Journeyman1234 Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2017
    In for the discussion/info

Badabing11 likes this.

3. FullySupported

FullySupported Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2019
    I have a standard CZ Shadow 2 and the Wilson Combat Beretta Brigadier 92G. I like them both in different ways. The Shadow 2 is more competition oriented. The Brigadier is more general-purpose/tactical. If considering the Wilson Combat Beretta, also consider Langdon Tactical's similar Beretta...

4. Ohio

Ohio I like this place !

Mar 22, 2018
    Depends on how you plan on using it. Shadow 2 is “designed” for competition. While it’s a DA/SA action, you have to manually drop the hammer for DA, which is the accepted method for USPSA ( I believe it’s USPSA...or a similar competition). The WC Beretta is a DA/SA but with a decocker, so your first shot is always a DA trigger pull. I’ve owned a Shadow 2, liked it, didn’t love it so I sold it. It’s a big pistol.

While I don’t own a WC Brigadier, I do own the WC Beretta Centurion which is very similar to the Brigadier. The SA trigger on my Centurion is like no other pistol I have ever owned, very smooth and the break and reset is outstanding. The trigger “rolls” not really “break”....hard to describe but nice.

I’m trying to get back into gaming, IDPA, and while I would like to use the Centurion, the DA first pull isn’t working for me. I really like the pistol, have no plans to give it up, but not sure how it works into my gaming plans. A SA action works best for me in competition.

So I guess it really depends on how you plan on using it.

Hope this helps.

boatdoc and Badabing11 like this.
  5. Fight islam Now

Fight islam Now Active Member

Mar 3, 2017
    Whats it for?

Shadow II is pretty big to carry.

I believe all you can get from Wilson right now is the decocker model. I’d get the CZ. It would be a tougher choice if it was the safety model.

Both great guns. The Wilson would probably bring more at resale.

Badabing11 likes this.
  6. Badabing11

Sep 6, 2015
    I only shoot paper or steel plate at the range, no match stuff. I don’t compete or carry. To best describe what I’m looking for is this: some guns just put a smile on your face more than others . They feel like more of an extension of your body as if you are “at one with the gun”. I have guns that do this that are not necessarily the most accurate , but somehow when I shoot them they are just funner :)

The first time I fired a CZ was actually a Tac Sport Orange. It was SAO, and had a 1.7# trigger. A key metric was the first word out of my mouth was WOW!

I had since decided I wanted something with a rail , and that got me to the Shadow 2. I dry fired a standard Shadow 2, and the custom shop shadow 2. The double action and single trigger on both were good, but the shadow custom brought me back to another WOW!

The one thing I really like about these two is that you can set up the safety so you can shoot thumb high on the safety.

I have only held a Brigadier that did not have an action tune. My reaction to the feel of the trigger was that it was really nice, but not WOW. I wondered if the Wilson action tune would take it to WOW!

The real WOW factor on the Wilson Beretta was that it is just gorgeous, and I think the tweaks that were done make it the best of the best berettas.
    I’m usually not a fan of decockers, but the one on the Beretta is on the slide. I prefer it to the safety version. I can ride thumb high on the frame and not manage to hit the decocker or slide stop like I did on my Sig 226. Last the history of the Beretta has it had on my list to ownjust cuz it’s cool.

The only thing I didn’t like about the Beretta is all the hardware around the rear of the slide made it hard for me to find a place to grab when racking it.

So like someone else said, I like em both for different reasons.

If that CZ TAC SPORT ORANGE had a rail , it would be game over.

Keeps em coming guys. I’m a complex man :confused:My reasoning methods are probably 70% based in measurable or highly descriptive likes and dislikes. The other 30% is unexplained emotion. The Beretta knocks it out of the park in that 30%.

7. Fight islam Now

Mar 3, 2017
    I agree. The first time I tried out my Tac Sport CTS 40 it was like WOW! like moving from a GTO to a Ferrari.

I have run Wilson's for years and I can’t say a bad word about the Baretta whether it’s a Wilson or box stock but (just like the Wilson) the CZ runs and it runs Like a bat outta hell.... reliably.

Totally fun to shoot.......kind of like a 1911 w/no grip safety

And the capacity..........great for a day on the range chasing poverty

dstallguy, Badabing11 and boatdoc like this.
  8. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    BOTH--face it you are an addict and will buy both eventually.

I suggest starting with the WC beretta 92 g.. great gun to play with. action job changes the gun. you will love it.a ccuracy is not an issue. quicker deliver for a WC beretta than a CZC shadow too. give you time to save up for the CZC :)

then maybe a CZ custom shadow 2--many configurations and options.I get a flat style trigger(like the one they us eon the CTS model) not much else to change

Bought both over the past few years. Beretta is a house favorite. my friends bought them after shooting mine.

the CZC shadow 2 I bought is a bull shadow. LOVE everything but the take down pin hole on the full length guide rod. some moron put the hole near the head instead of the tip.I may never field strip this gun due to this. probably should have gotten the accu shadow version but I wanted the bull barrel

BUY both

Badabing11 likes this.
  9. Badabing11

Sep 6, 2015
    I have found several WCs at my Lgs with the action tune , so the wait would be really short. BUDS has the CZ Shadow 2 custom shop target in stock, and with price matching I can get it for a good price.

At one time, I thought WC wasn’t shipping action tuned guns to dealers. I thought customers had to send them back for that . Does anyone know if action tuned Brigadiers went straight to dealers?

boatdoc likes this.
  10. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    I have the brig tac w/action tune and a CZ Shadow 2 although not the custom shop model.
    I personally would get the Wilson, just because I like it so much. I like my shadow 2 also and neither are going anywhere.

Badabing11 and boatdoc like this.
  11. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    Never cared for the m92 or Wilson.
    The CZ S2 would make a great range gun.

Badabing11 likes this.
  12. Fight islam Now

Mar 3, 2017

What’s not to like about Wilson? Just ask’n

(Or did you mean the Wilson m92?)

Badabing11 likes this.
  13. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    Since you asked.

Wilson makes a decent to good gun and is IMO one of the top self marketers in the gun industry.
    His guns are not worth the new, retail price- again IMO.
    A true custom, from a top tier smith, can be purchased for the price of a "Super Grade".

Just not a fan- and yes, I own 2 Wilson's, because they were found at a tremendously discounted price. One was given to my daughter, ones been in the safe for a couple years and sees use a "range loaner".

About as tactful and polite as I can be. :)

Badabing11 likes this.
  14. Fight islam Now

Mar 3, 2017
    Wilson is a production shop, not a custom or semi custom shop. That ship sailed 15 years ago. They make the best PRODUCTION gun on the market.

I am seeing full custom prices average around $8k+ right now from top smiths like Yost, Chambers, Lauck, and others.

About $2500+ over a supergrade.

I do agree on the Pinnacle model though......better to buy a full custom. Wilson makes a great base gun to send to a top smith but you are probably better off long term starting with a Colt.

Badabing11 likes this.
  15. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    Agree with your point here.

Badabing11 likes this.
  16. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    yes they did.. dealers get 1st choice.you are very lucky. both available and can get a chance to feel them up first

Badabing11 likes this.
  17. Red-5

Red-5 Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2015
    Since you are only punching paper or hitting steel, this is easy fix, put one of these on there for $40.00 . . .
    10012_1.jpg
    Convert the S2 to SA only and the heck with DA. This is all it takes to convert.

Raven312 and Badabing11 like this.
  18. Badabing11

Sep 6, 2015
    Oh man, I just got back from my LGS and I am more confused than ever.

First off, after the side by side with the Beretta and the CZ , I think the CZ is tripping my wow button a bit more. The ergonomics are better for me and it seems to point more naturally.

But it seems now I am getting really confused with the models in the CZ competition shooting lineup.

We have:
    1) Shadow 2 Target -- it has custom shop trigger and target sights

2)Accushadow-- looks to be the same as S2 Target, but costs more ( whats the diff?)

3)CZ Tac Sport-- I have checked several of these in the past. They have the SAO triggers. I picked one up yesterday that had the best trigger out of any of them I've ever touched. But that's the problem, the other ones I remember from the past had more creep in the SA trigger. This one reminded me of the Tac Sport Orange I originally fell in love with. Is there that much variation in triggers on the Tac Sport? Do some of them go through the custom shop?

4)Why do some of the tac sport models cost considerably more than others?

Help Cecil Hellllppp!!!

To make matters worse the sales guy brought out a Sig P210 A that was pure sex. Are we having fun yet? To me this selection journey is a big part of it.

Any help on any of my 4 questions would be great.

Thanks

Journeyman1234 likes this.
  19. FullySupported

FullySupported Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2019
    What a coincidence...well, not really, because I replied before...but...

This very morning, I went to the range and shot a Wilson Combat Brigadier 92G, regular CZ Shadow 2, and a Sig P210 Target (the new use-made one). They are all great guns, with somewhat different intended uses. Each has its own virtues.

As a guy who can obsess over making the best choice, as a guy who can try endless to figure out the exact right version of something to get, I can say I find it easy to sympathize with you. I don't think you can make a bad decision here. However, you can make a good decision and end up with a bad example of an individual gun. Even (or especially) in this price range, you can find far better and far worse examples of an individual gun.

All that said, here are my uneducated, inexperienced views:

1. CZ Shadow 2: Best if you want to shoot fast at targets at a range. Mine is the basic one, but I doubt any improvement to its trigger or accuracy would noticeably improve my personal results.

2. Wilson Combat Brigadier 92G: Best if you want an all-around gun. You can use it at the range; you can use it for home defense; you can use it for EDC; you can go overseas and get evil-doers for the US Government with it.

3. Sig Sauer P210 Target (USA-made): Best if you (like me) mainly want this thing for individually-aimed shots at static targets at the range. Man, the trigger is sweet. This gun just makes it so easy to get tight groups. I was getting some nice groups today with MaxxTech 9mm 115gr FMJ that I paid $8.00/50 rounds.

Just try not to obsess overly about all of this. You will think yourself in circles. Take a few days and just ask which one you want. Then buy that. There are risks with everything. If you can't accept the risk that you could buy something that wouldn't work out, then you shouldn't buy it at all.

Badabing11 likes this.
  20. Fight islam Now

Mar 3, 2017
    Unlikely you would ever be able to outshoot a Tac Sport.

If you want to race get the CZ.

Fullysupported’s evaluation is right on the money

Badabing11 likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted