1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,545 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
With the budget he stated in the video. It's a lot more like a tune up. Considering the budget of 899.00 it definitely won't be anything like what Nighthawk is doing.
If the work is done well more choices is always a good thing.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Yes, this seems more about refreshing customer interest in Wilson's "customize your pistol" capabilities.

It's smart to pick a Colt; there some 1911 fans who will only own or customize a Colt, and like Nighthawk (GC also did their take on a traditional Colt recently, too), Wilson's looking for a way to capture that market share.

But this seems clearly to be about customizing "your gun" at a price point lower than most semi-customs, not a new offering built exclusively around a Colt.

·
Double Secret Banned
2,173 Posts
Given the 899 budget, and Vickers saying he requires a beavertail, I predict we will see the following:

Beavertail install $350 from most 'smiths
Dovetail cuts and sights installed $150 + $100 > $600ish
Reliability package* $200 > $800
Wilson magazines $60/2 > $850
mystery item?

* I have a Colt 1911C and besides reshaping the extractor hook, adding a bit more tension to the extractor and polishing the rollover point in the barrel throat/chamber it has needed nothing else. 600+ rounds (180 have been JHPs from Hornady and Federal HSTs) so far and it runs like a sewing machine.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I have a Colt Railgun. I was told that since it is stainless I'd be better off selling the Colt and buying a blued model. That sound right?
Sounds like a different subject -- you might want to start a new thread, or ask a mod that this one be split off.

In the meantime, we need more background to answer your question. What's your intended use for the gun? Who said you'd be "better off" with a blued model and why?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Any pictures of these colts done by Wilson?
The video stipulates that this will be one Colt that Vickers will have Wilson modify to show what basic upgrades he thinks are essential to a base gun while keeping cost to a minimum.

This does not appear to be a line of Wilson modified Colts; just an example of the work Wilson does if you send in your own base gun.

There will be a second video showing the results when the Vickers Colt is finished.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Well I was told this, so just curious.

Just thought maybe it's been done.
What I believe bladeandbarrel is correctly referencing is that Wilson Combat started decades ago by customizing Colts -- at the time, that was virtually all there was to customize in the 1911 world.

Only later did Wilson start producing their own 1911s.

So yes, they've always been doing the "Colt thing". ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.