Wilson Combat Hunter .460 Rowland Range Report

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by GaryWWhite, Apr 8, 2019.

1. GaryWWhite

GaryWWhite Member

Apr 22, 2016
    I've had this gun for about a month and a couple of days ago took it to the range. The ammunition is exorbitant for this gun and my sole purpose was to see where it printed. As this will be one of my EDC guns I used 30 feet for sighting in. I was using Underwood 185 gr. rounds for the test fire. I had never shot a compensated pistol before and did not know what to expect other than what I read. That is, the compensator took a lot of the recoil off. Boy was I surprised!
    The gun has a real wallop and snappy kick that feels like the old Mod. 29 S&W 44 Magnum I carried a millennia ago as a LEO. I had a pair of WC starburst grips with silver medallions that I was using. Since the gun is all black, it really makes the gun standout. The problem is that it also hurts my hands to hold it. After the initial outing I have decided to put on a pair of custom Snakewood grips from Sarge I purchased a couple of years ago. These are smooth but with the front and rear checkering on the pistolI believe I will find the gun manageable but not punishing on my hands. I was extremely impressed with the accuracy of the gun placing all rounds into a ragged hole about an inch low. I didn't make any adjustments to the rear sight assuming this was close enough for any encounters I might have. The gun cannot be put into rotation as an EDC because of two incidents of failure to feed in both of the new magazines made by WC specifically for this round. This only occurred after the first round in the magazine fired. The bullet did a nose dive into the ramped barrel. To charge the gun I only had to pull the slide back and it went into battery. There were no other failures. I assume this was caused by the gun not being broken in yet. WC said the round was hotter than the ones they used to test the gun but gave no advice on what might be causing the problem. A gentleman who has built (and is sending) a custom holster for the gun commented that his WC 10mm did the same thing until it was broken in. Anyways, I just bought a new Hornady AP press as I am going to seriously shoot some PPC and Bullseye and needed something that I could load 300 rounds in an hour or so. I am going to order some brass from Starline with some Power Pistol and load some 185 gr. XTP's in order to stay away from the large cost of buying new ammo. When I bought the press I got a voucher for 500 bullets from Hornady. I found some loads from .460 Rowland. com that will almost approximate the velocity of the factory rounds. After about 300 rounds or so the gun will be completely reliable and ready to carry OR it will be headed back to Wilson for a look. I have to reiterate how surprised I was at the kick this gun had and would not want to shoot it without a compensator. Otherwise, I was very happy with the gun. I didn't get it with the Crimson Laser Grips and ordered a WC one piece MSH\Magwell which installed without any problem and really looks great on this gun. Also I ordered the gun with tritium sights. All in all, I love my hard kicking beautiful Wilson Hunter and am glad I coughed up the cost on this not inexpensive pistol.

limbkiller and Otherside like this.
  2. Otherside

Otherside Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2019
    Nice review Gary, but we need some pictures.

Dub likes this.

3. Hunt5877

Hunt5877 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 27, 2019
    Second on the pictures...i kept scrolling...yep, no pictures here

Dub likes this.
  4. GaryWWhite

GaryWWhite Member

Apr 22, 2016
    Hi Folks! Thanks for the kind remarks! I would like to send pics but I don't know how. Any instruction would be great! I have an I-Phone for a camera.

5. Hunt5877

Hunt5877 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 27, 2019
    Upload file then select Sir

Dub likes this.
  6. Descartian

Descartian Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2017

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted