1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Colt Commander (Wiley Clapp). 45 cal. NIB. about a month ago. Of course it came with only one magazine (colt) so I picked up an extra Wilson Combat Mag. Here’s the age old problem... it won’t lock back on the last shot. Bad mag? Weak spring? Colt just doesn’t like Wilson? It’s interesting that I have read that the colt mags are junk but, the one I have works just fine. Now, I’ve only ran 200 rounds through it though but not all with the colt mag. McCormick mag I have works fine also. Is it a compatibility issue?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which Wilson mag? Is it new?
Yes, I bought from a gun show. I have two Wilson Combat mags. I just went inside to look them over. One has a concave follower, the other has just the opposite, (reverse concave)? The latter I have not tried in my new Commander yet. Didn’t think about taking both to the range.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
I just bought two of Wilson's ETM Mags for my new Colt 38super and they work just fine, as does the one Colt Mag that came with mine. Like Bradd_D, what brand of Wilson's are they, I've had the 47D and some guns liked them while others didn't. I switched to the ETM's and never had a problem in any of my 1911's using those. It's funny how some guns will run fine and others won't when swapping from standard factory mags to another brand.

Reactions: Slabstick

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure, they are both Wilson Combat, but look different. One has a concave looking follower while the other has a hump on the follower. The concave is the one that is not locking open. Haven’t tried the other yet. They just say Wilson Combat on the plate. No numbers. Thinking about trading them both in for some Ed Brown Mags. Send in my old ones for new Ed Brown for 10 bucks each. Sounds like a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Well I have used the Colt mags in everything from 38 super to 45 auto and more than a few btw. Never had an issue. Now the Wilsons yes had issues, McCormick Shooting Star yes had issues and others. The only ones with no issues ever have been Virgil Tripp's besides the Colts.

The Wilsons were suspect in engaging the slide stop. This happened on Colt's, NHC, Cabot's and several Custom Makers as well. I wish that all guns were not so different and not be able to work across the board with each other but it happens.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I've used Wilson ETM +P/HD's across several guns without any issues.

OP, you can send any problem mags to Wilson for free replacement.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
My new 80s Commander came with one Colt mag it did not work
I tried a Military Check Mate mag with new Wolff spring & SS rounded Pachmyer follower.
CM mags fitted with replacement spring & Follower is all I use. All my 1911s like the
7 shot Military mags. I do have 3, SS CMC 8 shot mags I bought for carry use, however
I have gone back to my CM mags & use the CMC mags for range use only.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts