Dan Wesson Wilson Combat magwell on Dan Wesson Valor

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by B81, Nov 29, 2018.

1. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Can a Wilson Combat Bullet Proof Single Piece Magwell Extension be installed on a Dan Wesson Valor (stainless version) without fitting, or does the installation require files, sandpaper, and an above average level of skill?

If I'm interpreting the WC catalog description correctly, I think the magwells just drop in, if you use a non-rounded butt magwell. Only the rounded butt magwells require fitting.

I understand that the interior of the magwell extension won't line up perfectly with the magwell built into the frame. I'm not too concerned with this, as it won't effect performance and function.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  2. fieldgrade

fieldgrade resident crank

Mar 13, 2017
    test

3. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Seems to be working now. I deleted the word "installing" from the title. Maybe it was coincidence, but the problem goes away when that word is gone.

EDIT: Yup! That was it. Adding the word "installing" to the title of the other thread that was working results in permission errors when trying to reply.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  4. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    In my experience with bullet proof parts they can be very close to a tolerance that can require minimal fitting, but where in lies the problem is if the Valor frame is a little tighter or little looser then the spec of the magwell. For instance on the last two valors I did, both received and Ed Brown One piece magwell. I know not a WC.. But, my point is that the FS took a lot of fitting and the 9mm commander took very little fitting. If you can catch what I am trying to say here.. You have a 50/50 chance lol.. And then there is the question do you want it blended to the frame or just for it to lay on top of the grip frame..

WWB and PewPewPtwang like this.
  5. fieldgrade

fieldgrade resident crank

Mar 13, 2017
    I mentioned this to the OP in a PM since we couldn't post in the thread earlier. I've installed S&A magwells on four 1911s and all were drop in, including a Valor. I just prefer how the "backstrap" of the mainspring housing on the S&A extends to the very bottom of the magwell. Fits my somewhat larger paws better, or seems like it. The are also billet machined now instead of cast which means they have a somewhat "finer" finished appearance in my opinion.

That said, the only other "drop-in" part for a 1911 I've experienced (in my limited experience) was a WC Bulletproof thumb safety. Literally dropped into a Springfield (while requiring minor fitting on a Colt), as opposed to the WC standard product offering for a thumb safety which required more files and fitting skills to fit to a Colt than I possess.

PewPewPtwang likes this.
  6. cdhbrad

cdhbrad Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2011
    I bought a 9mm Blued Valor earlier this year and installed a Wilson 1 piece round Butt magwell. My recollection is that a few light passes with a diamond file on what I would call the “rails” of the magwell were all that was needed to get it onto the frame. Pin hole lined up perfectly. Not more than 10 minutes, if that.
    No, it is not as perfect at the bottom as the fit of the same magwell on my BA Custom, but its fine for my purposes.

jjmIII_Ruger and PewPewPtwang like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted