1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
shooter of guns, petter of dogs
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey addicts,

Just curious if anyone has gotten an aftermarket match fitted barrel installed from Wilson combat (or anyone, I guess).

I’m wondering if getting a hand fit barrel that has a tighter fit on my Sig Sauer 1911 would be a worthwhile investment, i.e. will I notice any improvement in accuracy?

If it’s worth it (around 330 dollars) would it also be worth getting a tighter slide to frame fit for 175 while I’m at it?

Or would it be better to save the 500 bucks for a tighter fitting custom 1911 down the line?

Any help appreciated!

·
Premium Member
34,194 Posts
I'd sell the Sig and put all my money toward a pistol closer to what you are wanting. Even if you have to wait a little while, you'll be happier in the long run. IMHO.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Option A: Whip out your handy dial calipers and measure up your barrel and the barrel opening in your slide and order a custom fit barrel bushing from EGW. Its the least expensive, easiest way to make you pistol more accurate. ($35)
Option B: Order a new pistol from a real bullseye gunsmith. An uber accurate Alchemy Prime Elite should do the trick! ($3,000)

Jeff

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have an old Auto Ordinance 45 I had the slide tightened and a Wilsons barrel installed. That was in 1988. Its now got a loose slide, but still shoots excellent. Been at least 30,000 rounds.

It depends on what you call accurate. I wanted 1.5" @ 50 yards with reloads. I shoot Bullseye.

I put an EGW angle bored bushing in my PM-9. It got me about an inch improvement @ 25 yards. This gun will shoot just under 2" @ 50 yards.

I upgraded this year to a Colt Gold Cup with a Kart Barrel and Accurails. 1.5" @ 50 is easy.

David

·
shooter of guns, petter of dogs
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the advice. Seems like a tighter fitting bushing would be the best solution for now, and just ponying up the money for a custom/semi custom 1911 in the near future.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Berf,
Love the pic of your dog!
Jeff

Reactions: Berf
1 - 9 of 9 Posts