1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bill Wilson built my Wilson #120 Competition Combat Pistol on a new Series 70 Colt Government Model in February of 1981. This was pre Wilson Combat, prior to all the named pistols. To the basic #120 package, I had him add Bo-Mar adjustable sights and Metaloy the frame. I used this pistol at Second Chance and literally fired thousands of rounds through the #120 before retiring it. Since it was my first custom pistol, for which I paid the princely sum of $777.95 (a fortune for a young police officer), I decided that I would never sell it. When I quit shooting competitively, I cleaned the Wilson and put it in the safe, where it sat for decades.

For old times' sake, in 2021, I started shooting the same #120 that Wilson built me 40 years prior. The pistol that had once served me well started experiencing failure to feed and stove pipe problems. I called Wilson Combat and spoke to Ken Villines, a true gentleman and professional who is Wilson's firearms service manager. I explained the functioning problem with the Wilson, and Ken said he would be e-mailing me a UPS label to return the gun to Berryville for repair. I received the label and returned the Wilson to the mother ship on September 28, 2021.

Two weeks later, I received an e-mail that my pistol was coming back repaired from Wilson Combat. I received the pistol today. The enclosed invoice read, "Replaced sear, reworked trigger, increased barrel throat, adjusted extractor tension and functioned without issue. Service Policy Repair-NO CHARGE"

Servicing a pre Wilson Combat pistol nearly 41 years after it was built, and paying shipping both ways, is absolutely phenomenal. To say Bill Wilson stands behind his product with a service repair policy that is second to none is an understatement. Bill Wilson, Ken Villines and the entire crew at Wilson Combat are simply OUTSTANDING! Bravo, Gentlemen! You have no equal.

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
This is giving me second thoughts about selling the Wilson Commander I have posted in the classified section.

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
7,312 Posts
That's a terrific testimony to Wilson's customer service, so glad they took care of you. And, I second the motion for pics, I love old customs!

·
Registered
69 Posts
That's great to hear! I've sent pistols to Wilsons to have work done on them seven times over the years. They are always very professional and the turn around has always been quick. Great people, great service!

·
Registered
503 Posts
They did similar for me however my gun is nowhere near as old.
I simply wore it for a few weeks straight thru a hurricane and cleanup after. When we finally got power back and I had the opp to sit down and clean it I removed the inside grip and found some slight surface rust from the sweat and all else. Emailed Wilson with pics asking in that first email how much it would cost to fix. Their first reply included a shipping label. I was like ok, guess I’ll get the total after they fix it? Within two weeks I had the gun back without even expecting it. They blasted the frame to look like new (it’s SS) did a little other tweaking and made it look like new no charge either way or for anything.

It’s good to hear that they take care of the old and newish guns most of the time no questions asked. I do think we need pics of this WC heirloom. Woulda been cool if maybe Bill had seen it or recognized it and sent it back with a pic of himself holding it.

·
Registered
7,454 Posts
Great story and great looking picture.

Some companies do not understand the concept of standing behind their work. Clearly Wilsons does and for the long haul. Thanks for posting this, it's good to hear

1 - 14 of 14 Posts