1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a WC CQB Elite in 9mm that I have 15,000 rounds thru. Was considering having WC disassemble, clean/inspect and then replace all springs during reassembly. I’ve cleaned and oiled my firearm every +/- 500 rounds, replace recoil spring and have not had any problems. But my gunsmith is ability stops there. Is this a good idea or a waste of time and money? If gun is functioning as designed and taken care of, should you have knowledgeable people inspect for function and safety at any point. And if so when.

Thank you in advance,
Jim

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
6,052 Posts
It's not a bad idea to have the gun detailed stripped and cleaned.

Package #1 (HC-WCPTP1)

$150 | 1-2 Week Lead Time
  • Overall Inspection for Functionality
  • Complete Disassembly
  • Clean
  • Replace Springs
  • Lubricate
Package #2 (HC-WCPTP2)

$350 | 2-3 Week Lead Time
  • All Services in Package #1
  • Check All Safety Functions for Proper Operation
  • Disassemble and Inspect All Parts for Excessive Wear/ Broken Parts
  • Inspect Barrel Throat for Proper Support
  • Inspect Barrel Bore for Excessive Wear or Rings from Squib Loads
  • Check Extractor Tension and Adjust if Necessary
  • Check Ejector to Make Sure it is Tight in the Frame and Check Nose Condition
  • Check Trigger for Crispness/Weight and Proper Function
  • Check Condition of Grip Screws and Replace if Necessary
  • Make Sure Grip Screw Bushings are Tight and Loctite and Re-stake Them as Necessary
  • Make Sure Sights are Tight and That the Tritium Glows if Equipped with Tritium Sights
  • Check and Replace Rear Sight Set Screw if Needed or Condition of Elevations Screw on 428 Sight
  • Inspect Mag Tubes and Re-build All Original Supplied WC Mags with New Spring/Follower/Base Pad
  • Complete Test-fire/Sight-in
Package #3 (HC-WCPTP3)

$550 | 3-4 Week Lead Time
  • All Services Provided in Package #2
  • Refinish on Stainless, Blued, or Armor-Tuff® Guns

Reactions: DRD and boatdoc

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not a bad idea to have the gun detailed stripped and cleaned.

Package #1 (HC-WCPTP1)

$150 | 1-2 Week Lead Time
  • Overall Inspection for Functionality
  • Complete Disassembly
  • Clean
  • Replace Springs
  • Lubricate
Package #2 (HC-WCPTP2)

$350 | 2-3 Week Lead Time
  • All Services in Package #1
  • Check All Safety Functions for Proper Operation
  • Disassemble and Inspect All Parts for Excessive Wear/ Broken Parts
  • Inspect Barrel Throat for Proper Support
  • Inspect Barrel Bore for Excessive Wear or Rings from Squib Loads
  • Check Extractor Tension and Adjust if Necessary
  • Check Ejector to Make Sure it is Tight in the Frame and Check Nose Condition
  • Check Trigger for Crispness/Weight and Proper Function
  • Check Condition of Grip Screws and Replace if Necessary
  • Make Sure Grip Screw Bushings are Tight and Loctite and Re-stake Them as Necessary
  • Make Sure Sights are Tight and That the Tritium Glows if Equipped with Tritium Sights
  • Check and Replace Rear Sight Set Screw if Needed or Condition of Elevations Screw on 428 Sight
  • Inspect Mag Tubes and Re-build All Original Supplied WC Mags with New Spring/Follower/Base Pad
  • Complete Test-fire/Sight-in
Package #3 (HC-WCPTP3)

$550 | 3-4 Week Lead Time
  • All Services Provided in Package #2
  • Refinish on Stainless, Blued, or Armor-Tuff® Guns
Thanks for the info....I can see where Package 1 makes sense. But the others...are they over kill? I have some holster wear but otherwise nothing else and I keep it oiled well so no rust.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I think there is an 1911addict on here that has a WC CQB with over 100,000 rounds on his. Take that for what it's worth.

If this is a carry/self-defense gun, it might not hurt to have Package #2. You have enough rounds that small parts breakage is becoming a tangible risk.

If this is just a range toy or competition gun, I would just clean and replace springs as needed.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think there is an 1911addict on here that has a WC CQB with over 100,000 rounds on his. Take that for what it's worth.

If this is a carry/self-defense gun, it might not hurt to have Package #2. You have enough rounds that small parts breakage is becoming a tangible risk.

If this is just a range toy or competition gun, I would just clean and replace springs as needed.
Thank you sir.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Personally, unless you want/need package #2, I wouldn’t do it. I’m not a gunsmith by any stretch of the imagination, but I do have the “skill” to do package #1 myself which seems wildly overpriced in my opinion.

·
What me worry ?
11,104 Posts
A round count of 15000 and never detail striped and cleaned
Speaks highly of Wilson , not so for you .
Imho it’s long , long overdue .
Go with #3 as it also includes a detailed inspection of frame and
Slide for cracks and refinishing.

·
I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!
5,069 Posts
Never skip an opportunity to upgrade your gun while its in the shop. If there is a features you've wished it had, I say go for it. New sights, finish, french boarder, checkering whatever.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The prices seem a bit high but the packages do include return shipping, which can cost around $70-80 including insurance. I agree with Dwe that you should pursue any additional upgrades if you decide to send it in as there should be no additional shipping charges.

This may also be a good opportunity to learn how to detail strip your 1911 yourself and look for any problems. There are now a good number of videos online showing how the process works and what to look for.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The prices seem a bit high but the packages do include return shipping, which can cost around $70-80 including insurance. I agree with Dwe that you should pursue any additional upgrades if you decide to send it in as there should be no additional shipping charges.

This may also be a good opportunity to learn how to detail strip your 1911 yourself and look for any problems. There are now a good number of videos online showing how the process works and what to look for.
Thank you sir

·
ISO The Very Best 1911's
1,306 Posts

Keep in mind, the price also includes replacement of any parts that need servicing, if you have a hard use gun with a high round count it could be quite a bargain!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Nothing wrong with Wilson's service, you will get a professionally competent job and the knowledge that your gun is returned in top shape. There's also something to be said for finding a locally available option. Odds are, you are within driving range of a quality 1911 gunsmith and that would be my preference. Even what ought to be warranty work, if it's not frame related, I go the local option and I've been luck enough to be able to do so with standard cleanings inspections, etc.Why? Because I don't mind paying that $35-50 detail strip/clean fee if it helps keep my local gunsmiths alive. I can't pay shipping if I need an extractor fit , a trigger cleaned up etc., things which are 50-100 so I do my part to keep my local shop alive.

·
ISO The Very Best 1911's
1,306 Posts
Nothing wrong with Wilson's service, you will get a professionally competent job and the knowledge that your gun is returned in top shape. There's also something to be said for finding a locally available option. Odds are, you are within driving range of a quality 1911 gunsmith and that would be my preference. Even what ought to be warranty work, if it's not frame related, I go the local option and I've been luck enough to be able to do so with standard cleanings inspections, etc.Why? Because I don't mind paying that $35-50 detail strip/clean fee if it helps keep my local gunsmiths alive. I can't pay shipping if I need an extractor fit , a trigger cleaned up etc., things which are 50-100 so I do my part to keep my local shop alive.
Most folks aren't lucky enough to have a competent 1911 gunsmith within arms reach. That's a luxury these days.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Agreeing with the opinion that if you're sending the gun in. (i.e. paying to ship it etc)
Make the most of it, get any thing done you've wanted.
along with the maintenance work you need.

Reactions: Dub

·
Cav Troopers Dad
1,001 Posts
Jim if I was in your position I’d just drive over to Wilson and have them check your pistol out. I agree that the quoted price includes return shipping which you should be able to avoid. I know I stopped in at Wilson to see about having my front sight replaced, they did it while I waited and replaced all springs and gave the pistol a once over. When I pulled out my wallet they said no charge. I reminded them I had upgraded my front sight and they said have a great day. They did all this while I waited also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
37 Posts
Keep in mind, the price also includes replacement of any parts that need servicing, if you have a hard use gun with a high round count it could be quite a bargain!
The description on the website does not clearly state that the package includes replacing all worn parts, with the exception of grip screws. It would be one thing if WC would replace any worn or damaged part as part of their general warranty to customers, but quite another if they excluded “worn parts” from this service. In that case, there could potentially be a number of additional charges added.

For example, if a barrel was damaged or worn, would they charge their standard rate of $330 to install a new barrel?

Given WC’s history of excellent customer service, I suspect they would be willing to replace a number of parts for no additional charge but this is not guaranteed in their description of this service.

·
ISO The Very Best 1911's
1,306 Posts
The description on the website does not clearly state that the package includes replacing all worn parts, with the exception of grip screws. It would be one thing if WC would replace any worn or damaged part as part of their general warranty to customers, but quite another if they excluded “worn parts” from this service. In that case, there could potentially be a number of additional charges added.

For example, if a barrel was damaged or worn, would they charge their standard rate of $330 to install a new barrel?

Given WC’s history of excellent customer service, I suspect they would be willing to replace a number of parts for no additional charge but this is not guaranteed in their description of this service.
Wilson has an unconditional lifetime guarantee against breakage on any of their bulletproof parts. So upon inspection, if any of those parts are found to be unserviceable I am sure they would be replaced free of charge. Barrels, like springs, are usually considered wear items but Wilson service bends over backward for customers in my experience as a Wilson customer since the late 80's.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Just detail strip it and clean it. Lube it up and keep going. Plenty of YouTube videos for detail stripping. Imho....

Trust me, if you can field strip it, then you can detail strip it and clean it. Not hard.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Wilson has an excellent warranty service. They fixed a trigger bounce problem in my X Tac free of charge--even though I was the 3rd owner. They even covered the cost of shipping.

All that said, they generally won't warranty a gun that's been worked on by someone other than Wilson Combat (for obvious reasons). So, even if you have a local smith that can work on it, I would still send it back to WC.

Reactions: Dub and HooDoo Man
1 - 20 of 32 Posts