Wilson Combat X9 ... Homerun?

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by Kyle Burt, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Kyle Burt

Kyle Burt Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2015
    OK, so I have to say I'm not a Wilson "fanboy" by any stretch but when the manager of my LGS called and said "hey I got an X9 before I put it out on the shelf I thought I'd check to see if you wanted it" I couldn't help myself.

Feels pretty damn good in the hand, it came with the small/medium back strap setup and also had the large backstrap in the bag. Figured out how to change them out and settled back on the small.

Headed out to the range this morning not sure what to expect, first run of a gun that's completely new to Wilson and their smiths, I was prepared for a few hiccups.

So I ran 50 rounds S&B 115 grain, 0 Issues. Thought OK time to try and trip it up!
    Ran 15 rounds weak hand, 0 issues (Fioch 124 grain)
    Ran 15 rounds attempting to limp wrist strong hand 0 issues. (Fioch 124grain)
    Ran 15 rounds 147grain HST strong hand, 0 issues
    Ran 10 rounds 147grain HST weak hand, 0 issues
    Accuracy - Everything was shot at 7 and 9 yards, I can't say I was really taking my time I was having fun just burning the rounds. That said I'm not a very good weak hand shooter so I was impressed with the outcome (target pic below)

The end result, GREAT shooting 1911. Fit and finish is great, it's packed with options and there's no ball cuts to be misaligned ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jollyroger1

Jollyroger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2015
    Very nice!

I knew you'd love it! Congrats brother

3. Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer Codename Duchess Supporting Addict

Aug 30, 2015
    Congrats! They're a real sweet shooter for sure!

Kyle Burt likes this.
  4. LPRoad

LPRoad Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 16, 2015
    Great looking (and functioning) gun. Congrats, I am jealous.

Kyle Burt likes this.
  5. Razer

Razer On The Razers Edge Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Jul 1, 2012
    Nice, thank you for the review. This one is definitely on my consider list and I've been waiting for feedback from buyers.

Kyle Burt likes this.
  6. BuckyP

BuckyP Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2011
    I handled one recently and couldn't believe how great it fit in my hand. I would have bought it, but decided to wait on a non-railed versions.

Congrats on the new gun. I'm glad you posted about it. I was just thinking that this forum was suspiciously quiet on this gun in the last few days.

Kyle Burt likes this.
  7. Hvrnaut

Hvrnaut Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2016
    Congratulations on the new pistol. There hasn't been tremendous buzz here about this new pistol, but there are some threads.
    A quick web search can show you more about the thousands and thousands of rounds fired through prototype guns by Wilson Combat during development.
    It's a winner.

Kyle Burt likes this.
  8. Kyle Burt

Aug 26, 2015
    I forgot to mention, not a single spent brass hit my forehead. I don't know about ya'll but proper ejection is a pet peeve of mine!

9. smalltownsongs

smalltownsongs Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2017
    Most excellent, thanks for the review! I still haven't had a chance to feel one of these in hand, can't wait for that day!

10. cfl4rat

cfl4rat Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2012
    Nice! How much more meat does it have compared to a 1911 grip wise, other than the obvious the main reason I've stuck with the 1911 platform is because of it being a single stack, even though I have big paws I just can't get a good purchase on a double stack. Also is the beaver tail functional?

Will you be keeping her? If you need me to babysit for a week let me know ;)

Jollyroger1 and Kyle Burt like this.
  11. Kyle Burt

Aug 26, 2015
    Beavertail isn't functional as a grip safety but it's great for getting your hand high in the grip. Funny I've been trying to think of another gun the grip compares to but really can't come up with a good comparison. If anything maybe towards a beretta 92 grip but shorter but not 92 compact short.

I would have to say it's a keeper but I've said that before ;)

12. extremist

extremist COTEP0278

Nov 5, 2011
    Picked up my EDC X9 from my dealer on the 27th and and got to the range on the 28th to check it out. Thanks to Tyler at Cajun Concealed for the delivery. [​IMG]
    Pretty much standard with Red Grip, so you know what it looks like [​IMG]

Got 3 extra mags, total of 5. Excellent "PPQ" style mags, easy to load. Next thing to try is the Taran Tactical Extensions from my PPQ mags to see if they work to give me 5 more rounds [​IMG]

Read the recommendations to use 124gr FMJ for 200 round "break in". Keeping in mind I've never broken in any of my Wilson Combat pistols - they have always worked from round one. [​IMG]

180 rounds total fired.
    Federal AE 124gr FMJ 15
    Independence Blazer 115gr FMJ 50
    CCI Blazer 124gr FMJ 50
    CCI Blazer Brass 124gr FMJ 5 (Most Accurate Factory 5 in 2cm @ 12 yds)
    ZFS 124gr FMJ 5
    MEN (German) 124gr FMJ 5
    Fiocchi 123gr FMJ TC Combat 5
    RUAG S&B 124gr FMJ 5
    Fiocchi 124gr FMJ TC 5
    Mixed 135gr / 4.1 WSF Reloads 14
    125gr HAP / 5.2 PP Reloads 5 (Most Accurate of my Reloads 5 in 2cm @ 12 yds)
    124gr MG JHP / 5.2 PP Reloads 5
    124gr PD JHP / 5.2 PP Reloads 5
    124gr Rem JHP / 5.2 PP Reloads 6

Call me a whiner if you wish, I was a little disappointed the new pistol arrived with a scratch on the trigger where it interfaced with the frame/trigger channel. I know the Armor-Tuff will ultimate wear off, but delivered that way? Everything else on it appeared flawless.

Very tight fit, very nice trigger. I'm not sure I'm going to be a big fan of the Green F.O. though, I'm probably going to replace that with Red.

I can't wait to try it in the IDPA box and shoot it some more - I may be getting rid of some of my other compact 1911 9mms and concentrate on this one...

Going to the range tomorrow Aug 1st to try some 115gr ammo and 147gr ammo to see how they shoot. Won't be able to shoot it in a local match until mid-month but I'll report back ;)

ronin11 and Kyle Burt like this.
  13. extremist

extremist COTEP0278

Nov 5, 2011
    TTI PPQ Mag extensions DON'T work on the mags. They will have to come out with different ones :(

14. v1911

v1911 Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2016
    The big question is will it fit the CCP box. Let us know if it does. Because if it doesn't, then it's just a gimpy ESP gun.

15. extremist

extremist COTEP0278

Nov 5, 2011
    I'll check it at TSS at the 8/28 match :)

16. extremist

extremist COTEP0278

Nov 5, 2011
    Walther 17 round floor plate extensions work on the Wilson mags :)

Jollyroger1 likes this.
  17. Jollyroger1

Sep 19, 2015
    Pics?

18. extremist

extremist COTEP0278

Nov 5, 2011
    Here you go. :)

Attached Files:

nnylf7 and Sterling Archer like this.
  19. Jollyroger1

Sep 19, 2015
    So ugly!

But where can I order a few of the baseplates lol?

Sterling Archer likes this.
  20. extremist

extremist COTEP0278

Nov 5, 2011
    Baseplate and Spring can be ordered from WaltherArms.com I'm sure. I already had a bunch :)

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted