Wilson CQB Compact CA (model)

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by HooDoo Man, Apr 11, 2019.

1. HooDoo Man

HooDoo Man Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 26, 2017
    You know what I'm thinking. Doe's anyone have experience with the COB compact? I'm wondering what the difference between the CA and the standard version. Besides the color and grips. More or less performance and reliability. Reliability and dependability means everything. Or should I just blow off the CA mod. altogether? It won't break my heart. CA sucks anyway.

2. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    I believe the standard has Wilson BP parts, the California model thanks to the roster does not, I’d buy the standard or nothing at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FWoo45 likes this.

3. samuse

samuse Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2013
    The CA model has a few MIM or cast parts.

I wouldn't have any problems with the CA model. Still just as good of a Wilson as any other.

4. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    That suggests that there is no quality difference between MIM / cast parts and Bullet Proof parts, most would disagree on that fact. Their is little price difference between the two models so why pay the same for a gun with cast parts as opposed to one with the higher quality parts?

Makes sense if you are A) trapped in California and its your only option or B) if you are buying pre-owned and get a steal of a deal on the California model, send it to Wilson or a custom smith to replace the MIM parts and use it as a base gun for a build.

FWoo45 likes this.
  5. HooDoo Man

Dec 26, 2017
    Now that I here about MIM parts I just might go with a DW Commander instead. 1/3 of the price and all I hear is good about them. Thanks for the info all.

6. Peahi

Peahi New Member

Jul 28, 2018
    Yeah, very, very unfortunate for us in California. We are forced to to buy models that are literally frozen in time. And in a way, we are ripped off because higher quality parts are now used on the current gun, but we still get the same price for older(non current, but new) parts. Thanks to Sacramento.

FWoo45 and simonp like this.
  7. HooDoo Man

Dec 26, 2017
    So true. I've also be contemplating not to go with any 1911 Commander size pistols period. Due to the fact that they are so temperamental, and to get 100& reliability. From what I have heard and prior experience. I've owned a couple, Colt, EB, etc. none w/o some issue. Never owned a Wilson though. If I can't stake my life on it, it's not for me. A carry or nightstand gun must be 110%. GD Kalifornia doesn't help matters any.

simonp likes this.
  8. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    Wilson is a great base gun though. I have my Wilson Professional to John Jardine and is 100% now with a phenomenal trigger

FWoo45 likes this.
  9. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    I wouldn't swear off commanders. There are some great guns to be had with slightly shorter barrels. Are you too stuck in the people's republik of komifornia?
    Edit: I see you are. If either could be had for comparable prices, i would go with the off roster version. If not, get the ca version and send it back to Wilson or a smiff of your choice. You'll get twice the gun for the same or less money.

simonp likes this.
  10. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    Another vote for reliable commanders, I have one from Chuck Rogers, the Wilson from Jardine and my CCO from Don Williams all of which are 100% reliable & great shooters

FWoo45 likes this.
  11. apipeguy

apipeguy Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2014
    I have 4” and Commander sized Wilson’s and all run 100%. Certainly prefer the bullet proof models but if I was stuck in Calefornia, I would be feel confident in the California models, also. I’m glad though that I don’t have to compromise because of where I live.

12. HooDoo Man

Dec 26, 2017
    Thanks for all the input. It's really appreciated. If you guys keep talking like this your going to talk me into a Wilson CQB Compact. That's another $3K. And it will be all your fault. I'd have to sell an EB to do it. Ulcers.

simonp likes this.
  13. apipeguy

apipeguy Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Sell the Ed Brown, you won’t be sorry when you buy your first Wilson. The only issue is that it will lead to more.

simonp likes this.
  14. InstiGator

InstiGator Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2019
    I've carried my CQB Compact for about four years now. It hasn't had a hiccup yet. My wife's primary range gun is a DW Guardian that gives her no problems, either.

I did buy a Wiley Clapp Commander that I knew was going to be a problem before I ever left the LGS with it, but they were going out of business and had it marked down so low I couldn't resist. A trip to the gun spa got it running right and modified to suit me better, to boot. That's another option to consider.

simonp likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted