Wilson EDC-S (no rail)

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by rblondon, Jul 18, 2020.

1. rblondon

rblondon Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Thanks to another Addict, I have enjoyed a Wilson Combat EDC X9 for over two years, or slightly longer. Enjoyed it to the tune of several thousand rounds and learned that a gun designed around a cartridge has a lot going for it.

But it was the size of a Glock 19, a gun I liken to a carpenter’s 16 ounce claw hammer. Not the tool to do furniture work, roof or frame all day; but capable to doing anything the carpenter might need. I learned to shoot the EDC fast and accurately. A timer showed it led a couple of other guns by a measurable factor. Including my beloved Hi-Power.

Then came the XL - and I waited. Now there’s the EDC-S and thanks to a LGS which turned three EDC guns in one day (in a very small town) - I own one. But you guessed it - the EDC X9 hit the trading block.

The EDC-S hits asweet spot with me - it’s Glock 26 size, it’s smaller than my Nighthawk Counselor for the curious minded among you. It’s made to carry with 10 round mags, but comes with a 15 for backup.

First impressions? It shoots well, draws a clock tick in front of the EDC X9, stays on target and has that wonderful trigger we all love about the 1911.

Mine went through 200 rounds today. 100 Winclean 124 FMJ flat nosed;100 Missouri Bullet Company Smallball 124 grain reloads at a nominal 1.110 OAL. One Winchester round failed to eject at about round 60+; one reload failed to chamber at about 120. The later fed, fired and ejected on a second pass while following another round - go figure. I do not cartridge gauge every reload, in batches of 1,000 they are practice ammo. I simply expect any 9mm in the house to eat them by the handful. The Wilson did with that one exception.

The gun came to me in a vicious day of trading, it’s the non-railed model with my worst choice of front sight - the blessed fiber optic. I’ll be honest, the first $75 I free up will deal with that.

After day one I can tell you the gun will ride with the ten round magazine seated and a 15 for backup. I’ve no desire to carry it with the 15 inserted. I can also tell you this non-railed version sneaks into more holsters laying around here than I expected…..which is nice. Though most of mine are cut for 4 1/4 inch guns except for one by Warbird Leather. I’ve a shorter Kramer coming from another Addict, it’s IWB and will take the EDC-S hopefully.

Trigger was absent any take-up, the fit and finish were Wilson and the gun sat well in my hand with the front sight staying insight during recoil.

For those people who like numbers, here’s a few, and you can keep these in mind while looking at the photos - especially the one with the EDC-S laying hidden beneath the Nighthawk Counselor - no large gun itself.

Numbers in ounces: (124 grain ammo mag to capacity)

Empty Loaded 8/10 rounds
    Wilson Combat EDC-S 23.2 29. 6 (15 rounds/32 oz)
    Nighthawk Counselor 25.6 31.3
    Glock 26 20.2 26.7
    Kimber Ultra Raptor 23.4 30.7 (200grain x 7)
    Brown Kobra Carry LW 25.6 33.2 (200 grain x 7)
    Dan Wesson CCO 28 35.3 (200 grain x 7)

Dimensions that matter to me — in thousands
    Midway down grip Frame at front of trigger guard
    EDC-S 1.105 .835
    Counselor 1.218 .768

Trigger Guard Width Trigger face to back of grip
    EDC-S .386 2.621
    Counselor .262 2.795

Remember the Nighthawk Counselor is a true officer grip length with its mag well. The Wilson is shorter and slightly thinner in the grip area. Why? Because it wear no grip panels. And after my initial outing, I’m thinking someone thought about that X-Tac pattern and bare skin. In a few trial runs, the left-side of the grip didn’t irritate bare skin - call it 10-15 minutes. I’ll get back to you on that down the road.

One negative today - when I tried the gun at controlled speed left-handed to take advantage of the left-side safety, the right-side safety bit the dickens out of the web of my left hand - and I don’t have big, or fat, hands. The photos show more clearance on the left side and obviously I got a bit of skin in the visible crack - hurt like the dickens.

Accuracy was great, the sights align close enough for the moment. I might try a slightly lower front to raise POI a bit, but then again, perhaps not. My generic 124 lead ball reload put 10 rounds in <3 inches at 15 yards off-hand with four rounds overlapping in the group.

Any Addict with an EDC-S holster which might be on the auction block, let me know. I’m shopping. 3-3.5 inch guns deserve their own holsters - anything else just grows length and weight. I’m about done with the idea of shaving guns to put half a steer back on or in my britches in the form of a holster.

For now, the only made-for-it holster in house is a Davis Leather Company OWB, but for the EDC-X9 but takes the EDC-S just fine - with a dab of holster left over. The trigger is fully covered so it's OK for now.......

In the photos, the bottom pic is the EDC-S completely obscured by the Nighthawk Counselor laid (gently) on top. Draw your own conclusion about the EDC’s size.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    cgff, Glock2740, TheCollector and 6 others like this.
  2. Dub

Dub born in the wrong century

Mar 19, 2017
    Nice review and sweet hardware.

Ive become instantly smitten with my X9. For me, it’s a perfect size/capacity/grip real estate.

I can see where the X9S could be perfect for many, too.

3. rblondon

Jul 11, 2018
    Another 150 rounds of the Titegroup reloads, 124 RNL today without problems of any nature.

Well one thing - but it's not a 'problem'. The darn strong side thumb safety bit me again while running the EDC-s left-handed. It's catching the web of my thumb/first finger when I move it to the 'on' postion. I don't have fat hands - as a comparison, I've shot thousands of rounds in Browning Hi-Powers unmodified - I've been bitten once in years of shooting/carry.

I don't consider it a horrible thing with the EDC-S, odds of it being used or scarfed up with the safety off are limited. Odds of me putting the safety on left-handed are more so.

I do like the safeties - minimum thumb purchase for righties, just enough to rest your thumb on it comfortably if you choose. The off side - safety on the right side of the frame - protrudes ever so little, just enough to work. Nice choice in my book. If I'm going to have ambi safeties - the weak side doesn't need to be a helicopter landing platform.

I know of one ED-S bought, fondled, traded inside of a week - the buyer didn't like a two finger grip. I get three fingers on the grip - well, 2 7/8. Enough that I feel like it's a three-fingered grip. If you have medium big hands, make sure you push up under the trigger guard. If your hands are those of an NBA forward - it's a 2 finger grip for you. No two ways about it.

In 45 ACP, I'd have to shoot it first to determine if the grip was enough. With the X-TAC surface, maybe.....in 9mm, there are no grip issues for me. For the sake of comparisons, with t he NH Counselor, I get the full third finger on the grip with just ever so little real estate left over. Big hands should be happy there.

I will likely run both guns against a timer Friday.

I did pick up a Kramer holster from another Addict this week. Amazingly, it handles the EDC-S like a glove, takes the Counselor well enough - go figure. Both also run in a Warbird Leather just fine, but a Sparks Summer Special works for the Counselor, not so for the EDC-S

Aside from being an Addict, I'm also a holster ...... well, it starts with a 'W' I think you folks can figure that one out. So this purchase gives me one more reason to stalk the ads here looking for holsters........anyone know a 12-step program?

Dub, TheCollector and zChambers like this.
  4. rblondon

Jul 11, 2018
    Opened with 30 rounds of mixed hollow point ammunition, all which had been cycled and cleared at one time or another, from one or another 9mms (Winchester Silvertip, Hornady Critical Duty, and Federal Hydrashok +P+ -- 2-5 rounds of each mixed in no particular order in the magazines followed by 130 rounds of my Titegroup reload today without any problems - other than a very dirty gun. Titegroup reminds me of Bullseye sometimes - in the realm of not so clean, the shorter the barrel the dirtier I've found it to burn. But that's just my experience. If the gun was going to throw a fault today, I thought the mixed HP would create it.

I did a lot of single presentations with four rounds fired to the draw: 1 round at a 12 yard COM sized steel plate, the second and third rounds fired at 3x5 index cards at 3 and later 5 yards; the fifth round back on the COM plate. The EDC-S swings quickly - thank the short frame/barrel. Swinging to the close range target was simple, swinging back to the 12 yard plate required watching the front sight.

I also did somebody's 5x5x5 -- 5 rounds at 5 yards under 5 seconds drill which I've used since stealing it off the web. It's a solid drill - shooot it with multiple guns and you'll have an idea which you shoot the best. There are tougher drills, but the point isn't to do something so hard you must fail as it is to do something smoothly enough that you see a progressive downward curve in your times while keeping the hits. I was running the EDC-S in sub four seconds today on timer. The best was 3.6 seconds from the holster, two-handed. The other two runs were 3.86 and 3.9 realling watching the front sight.

The gun weighs 29 ounces with 10 124 grain rounds loaded - that's not porky but it's enough sight to keep the sight from bouncing all over the target. Oddly enough, I noted the heat in the 100% aluminum grip area today at 90 and bright sunshine running the compliment of 160 rounds without much of a break. Wood and other grip panels do break up the heat in that area a bit.

I have not put a trigger scale on the gun yet. I can tell you it breaks clean, very clean. How light is it? Certainly under the 4.5/5.0 pound arena I prefer working 1911s to be in. I'll hit the 500+ round count, then measure.

The gun's accuracy is fine, the group pictured with this post is 15 yards, two-handed with my Titegroup reload - 8 rounds. I'm 62, I'll take that any day of the week.

When I exhausted my 9mm supply, I switched in the little S&W Pro Series J-frame - Give me good grips and there's just a lot to be said about today's versions of the J and K frame guns - locks or no locks.

Attached Files:

5. rblondon

Jul 11, 2018
    In two long days of 90 degree summer carry this week, I found the EDC-S grips to be OK against bare skin. Not as comfortable as good, smooth or lightly textured 1911 grips, but certainly not the broken glass feeling of some grips on the market today. The gun was carried for about 16-18 hours a day, two days straight in a Kramer IWB holster. There was no raw skin at the end of the day. The aluminum frame was warm to the touch both days; I'm wondering what shoving that all Aluminum grip against your skin will feel like if it spends a few hours secured in a car come the cold winter months? Burrrrrr ...one advantage wood grips have always offered is they hold less heat and warm quickly in cold weather.

The gun did get its first complete soaking on the second day. Caught out in a surprisingly hard driving rain with just a T-shirt covering. It was several hours before I could strip it as for routine cleaning (not a detail take down) and spray it out with compressed air trying to hit all the nooks and crannies then lube and reassemble. Unless as it's just rain or clear water submersion, that's all I do routinely. A pool dunking, or a treated water submersion is another story.

The weather is to break this week in KY. Hope to get a timer out and run the EDC-S against the Nighthawk and a Glock 26 side-by-side.

There were no rounds fired this week.

Dub, zChambers, hpguru and 1 other person like this.
  6. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    I ordered the S to complete the trifecta. It just didn't work out. It sounds like its working for you so far.

Glock2740 and Eric like this.
  7. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    I’ve got the EDC and like it.
    Have an S model on order.

Dub likes this.
  8. rblondon

Jul 11, 2018
    Holster notes for the EDC-S

In the YES it fits column and draws good fine:

All IWB:
    Older Sparks Summer Special (no sweat guard era) cut for 4.25 barrel
    Kramer 1.5, hard boned, fits like the proverbial glove - my choice so far
    Warbird Leather IWB
    Rosen ARG (5 inch holster, gun fits, draws well but is too top heavy in the holster of this length)
    2 different Garrett Industries, kydex/leather lined
    OWB:
    Davis Leather Company 455 made for the EDC X9
    Galco large Jackass belt slide

In the NO WAY category:
    Modern Summer Special II cut for 4.25
    Kimber logo holster (made by Rosen???) belt slide
    Wilson Practical
    Wilson IWB leather glove holster

The Kramer is so good, I could stop my hunt. The Davis Leather runs fine for the OWB role. I'd like to try a Rosen Premier ARG for a true 3-3.5 inch tube - their express line is always a struggle for me to break in.

Everything in the 'no way' group seats OK, but you'd need tent pegs to keep your pants on trying to draw from them.

I will admit that I'll shove 4.0 barrels into 4.25 and feel few regrets. But the 3.0 and 3.5 barrels cry for their own holsters. The holsters cut for 4.0 and 4.25 barrels seem to offer slightly different point of balance with the 3 and something inch barrels. Your view may vary and I'd be interested in opinions on the matter here, privately or in a new thread.

9. Dub

Dub born in the wrong century

Mar 19, 2017
    Agreed on wanting the correct length holster for each gun.

10. rblondon

Jul 11, 2018
    100 rounds today-- FMJ 115 grain reloads seated to 1.110 roughly - without problem.

The gun is growing on me. Better than sliced bread? No. The equal to guns of its size: definitely. Does it beat out the Nighthawk Counselor sharing safe space? Not yet. But a tell of the tape shows the EDC-S is petite as the Counselor. I would like to run it with a different front sight, just have not shelled out for Wilson's proprietary offering... yet. The fiber optic world doesn't do it for me. The Wilson battle sight on the rear is fine - I've adopted them across the board. I wouldn't mind having a machinist convert the Nighthawk Counselor's rear sight to a U notch with a pass through a milling machine. Forum approved? Not likely. Field expedient and +$60-75 for a thousand primers somewhere.

I have carried the EDC-S for several 10+ hour days. The XTac grip isn't bothering bare skin when carried in a Kramer 1.5 IWB. It gets sweaty, wiped down, thrown in safe. No special care.

It's not getting the round count the Nighthawk got early on. Small pistol primers are a bit scarce these days, if you haven't noticed. And if you've found gold mine of them - let me know.

The trigger has settled in at measured 3 pounds 15.8 ounces, 10 pulls on a digital gauge. I'd like to have seen it in the mid four pound range. Take-up is as Wilson's tend to be - next to none with zero over travel. By the way, I do like the drilled out trigger bow - makes getting oil into that area much easier - and less messy. There are 3-4 holes drilled through each leg of the bow, drip in the oil, it self distributes nicely. I've yet to detail disassemble so no other surprises to report.

As soon as I can create a chart to import, I have some timer numbers running standard El President, 3 rounds at a single 10 yard target and 3 rounds at 3 yards on a single target against my original EDC-X9, A Glock 26 and a Glock 48. If you value statistics, I should probably go buy a Glock 48 and dispense with everything else in the house.

But then, given the name of the forum - that's unlikely to happen. And the margin for the Glock 48 was small - very small. But it managed to beat out my beloved Glock 26 - with thousands of rounds through it and others like it.

Look for the chart by the weekend, along with a couple more photos in the Kramer.

1911 crazed and Dub like this.
  11. rblondon

Jul 11, 2018
    for those interested parties, the Nighthawk Counselor I've been comparing against the EDC-S went to a new home after a local addict and I talked. I brought home a Wilson Carry Comp in 9mm AND a Hi-Power by FN, unfired which included an unfit Barsto 9mm barrel. Gun and barrel are already in a local builder's hands. While I hated parting with the Counselor and consider it one of the best 1911s I've shot in a long time, I opted to keep the Wilson EDC-S I picked up six weeks back.

Comparing the Counselor and the -S, there was no performance difference and I'm one of those people who can get three fingers on the -S. Anyone out there should get a full hand grip on the Counselor, not so the EDC-S. The Counselor won repeatedly in on-the-clock reloads - it's got a real magwell. Knock a 1/2 second off your reload time, if not more and see if anything in your safe can beat it in the carry gun department. But the -S shoots well, carries lightly and has been flawless.

I likely have visitation rights with the Counselor, it just moved a few miles down the road.

Of note, I've changed the -S front sight to the glowing orange offered by Wilson. One of the EDC niceties, those easily changed front sights. Field strip, one screw, touch of thread lock and you are done. Even I can do that. Though it's one more machining cut, there is no reason I can see why all small shop 1911s should not incorporate the same idea. There would be a lot fewer bruised, battered and marred 1911 slides in the world.

The round count has drifted well over 1,500, though slowly, primers being difficult to find (at best). The gun is not picky about its diet.

zChambers likes this.
  12. rblondon

Jul 11, 2018
    It's worth a separate note that Warbird Leather has a mold for the EDC-S.

Dub likes this.
  13. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    I owned both as well, and the EDC X9S is a wonderful gun but the Counselor is the single best 1911 I have ever owned regardless of size, shape or configuration.

rblondon likes this.
  14. Eric

Eric Cav Troopers Dad

Sep 10, 2011
    I would be interested in what height sight you used when you changed and how it has affected poa/poi.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. rblondon

Jul 11, 2018
    Mine came with the .180 green fiber. I've noted with other guns, I tend to drift fiber optics a little high in the rear sight, which obviously puts me hitting even higher; I went with the .180 HDR they've added, I now hit about 1.5 inches above POA - I can live with that.

I love the wilson battlesight - or about anybody's U notch. I'm 63, with a cataract on the primary eye. Tight sight pictures are tough to hold - I actually do my sight/gun testing using a pair of ground glass .10 readers - over the counter reading glasses. My scrip reading glasses take the target to a blob. The .10 brings the target back to slightly fuzzy but the front sight is as it should be - crisp. This has restored my ability to shoot at least closer to a gun's ability. 20 yards works good - at 15, the target is too sharp against the sight; at 25 the sight picture simply doesnt' allow for fine holds.

Combat shooting, on steel, etc., no readers, just good shades to suit the lighting condition.

The EDC S is short, so pay close attention to the formulas if you calculate for a new sight.

Hope the information helps - if it prompts another question, don't pause to ask it.

16. Eric

Eric Cav Troopers Dad

Sep 10, 2011
    Thank you for the info.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. Eric

Eric Cav Troopers Dad

Sep 10, 2011
    I was able to order the Ameriglo front sight, what a big difference it makes. I also ordered 2 of the magazine extensions for the 10 round magazines, they also are a game changer for the X9S. Pictures before I changed the sights.

Adjustments.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zChambers and Dub like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted