Wilson edc x9- what am i missing?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by ozy, Dec 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ozy

ozy Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2014
    have tried this fairly new model twice , and just couldn't shoot it well.did I give up on it too early?
    Are the medium back strap+ Small trigger size the issue?
    any input from users would be appreciated.

2. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    The I
    :p

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    boatdoc, ozy, DukeSoprano and 4 others like this.

3. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    Nope- I had the same experience when I first got one. I actually was mad for buying it and contemplating selling it for a loss. Literally the day before I was going to put it on here, I went to the range one last time and put 200 through it. And somehow something clicked and I couldn’t miss. So much so I traded into a new one so I have two- one for carry and one for heavy range use.
    There’s something different about the feel. Not sure what, but it throws you off at first.
    If you haven’t put at least 400 rounds through it yet, shoot till you have. Then decide if you don’t like it anymore. I know I’m glad I did.

4. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    I wonder if that's why I see so many EDC X9 pistols up for sale.

ca survivor and ozy like this.
  5. BuckyP

BuckyP Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2011
    If you’re expecting the EDC X9 to shoot and feel like a 1911, well turns out that’s not the case. You can get closer to that feel with the large back strap, yet most are sold with the small. I know this because I purchased the large backstrap to try for a while, but ultimately went back to the small.

It took a few range trips to get accustomed to it, but once you do, it’s hard not to really like it.

BigJimP, xTeleDude and ozy like this.
  6. Mike Meints

Mike Meints Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2017
    I had the same experience . It took me over a thousand rounds to kind of get the feel of it . Ultimately , I switched to a large backstrap , which helped me .
    If you decide to change triggers though , you have to send the pistol back to Wilson for them to change it . None are sold separately .

JNW and boatdoc like this.
  7. ozy

ozy Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2014
    thank you wheels

WHEELS likes this.
  8. Greenrunner

Greenrunner Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    The x9 feels different to me, and because of that feeling I don't shoot it as well when I first pick it up. I do not point it as well. However, when I spend some time drawing and dry firing, I adjust. I do not currently carry my x9 but I intend to keep it because it is an upgraded carry design to the standard 1911 based on ammo capacity, reliability of those magazines, size, and the absence of that cursed grip safety. I suspect that if I am in a future gunfight, I would be better off with the x9 than a standard 1911. I wish there were more options in terms of grips.

boatdoc likes this.
  9. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    personally, because I shoot inside a lot, I have had to take more time getting used to WCs rear> front sights to shot poa-=poi. I did this the fastest with the ECX9. The EDCX9 is my SPEC OPs replacement as the spec ops(one of WC finest 9mm guns IMHO is no longer available)).It is personal. For me the EDCX9 is a winner. a great shooter. worth the time investe d to get used to shooting it the way I like. It is selling like hotcakes for a reason.

as far as the back strp and trigger. mine has the shorter trigger and small backstrap because Steve Kelley felt that would be a good fit--and it was(I have rathe rlarge hands I am told).

I suggest trying it for a while. sell it if you just do not love it. for me it wa s love day 1

Greenrunner and Mike Meints like this.
  10. HOTCHKIS

HOTCHKIS NRA Life Member

Apr 21, 2013
    7FFD6DCD-8630-437E-A804-F79FACEB3780.jpeg Hang in there with it. This is from my last range trip and starting to get better with it. I also wasn't too crazy about in the beginning but after getting used to it.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    1911 crazed and Mike Meints like this.
  11. hamholfarm

hamholfarm 1911Addicted-> Avoiding Intervention

May 10, 2014
    That sounds counter-intuitive to me. I would have thought a short trigger and small backstrap would be a better fit for small hands.

What am I missing?

Thanks

12. xTeleDude

xTeleDude Active Member

Apr 20, 2017
    For me the small backstrap was definitely an issue. I replaced it and the gun felt like a different gun. I even bought another when Brownell's had them on sale. I shoot the gun well and find the gun comfortable but since picking up a Guncrafter Government 2X Hellcat I can't stop thinking about trading them in for a couple Commander size 2X Hellcats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tarpon Hunter and ozy like this.
  13. xTeleDude

xTeleDude Active Member

Apr 20, 2017
    I think you nailed it.. the first one bought came with a large backstrap still in the wrapper. If the gun was ever shot I'm guessing it was just as the one time. I may have flipped mine too if I didn't have the large backstrap to try.

Mike Meints and ozy like this.
  14. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    I ordered mine not because I want a high capacity 1911ish style carry gun but because I can not bring myself to buy a Glock!!

15. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    Not sure if it matters to you, but I also cheat my rear sights over to the right on Glocks and did the same with both my EDC X9s. I don't know what it is about G19 sized guns, but I shoot to the left. You can cover 20 rounds with a $.50 piece at 10 yards, but all will be left by about 1 inch. So, I move my rear sights about 3 mils or so to the right and I'm in the bulls. With full size guns, like a Gov't 1911 or a VP9, POA/POI all day. I'm thinking I may grip the lighter pistols too hard in my support hand, pulling the muzzle ever so slightly to the left. But, whatever the case, this cleared up the last issue I had with the X9.

16. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014

17. Greg3458

Greg3458 Active Member

Oct 31, 2018
    Attracts 1911 shooters but shoots differently than a traditional 1911

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    ozy likes this.
  18. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    :roflmaro: Must be one of those guns the left is always talking about but this one only attacks 1911 shooters :roflmaro:

Mini Me and Greg3458 like this.
  19. Tarpon Hunter

Tarpon Hunter Well-Known Member

May 29, 2018
    I'm a little late finding this post but I have a EDC X9 with the small back strap and was also disappointed. I bought the small one because watching the WC video with Bill and Ken Hackathorne, they recommend the small one for most people. My hands are by no means big but I wasn't thrilled with the ergonomics. I just put the large back strap on and it made a big difference in pointing and control. I enjoy shooting it now, less frustration.

But is it my imagination but it seems it has more recoil and muzzle rise than a comparably weighted 9mm 1911? I have a Springfield RO Elite Champion which is only 2 oz. more. When I switch back and forth between the the 2, the Springfield seems softer shooting. The RO at my range even said the EDC had more muzzle rise. Maybe it's just the ergonomics.

simonp likes this.
  20. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    For awhile I had two X9's. One with the standard back strap and one with the large. The large fit my "feel" so much better. (notice I didn't say hand) I sold the small and put the $$s towards a X9L. I ordered it with the large back strap and I'm currently awaiting its arrival.

1911 crazed, Mike Meints and Dwe like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted