1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I had a Wilson in blue, it was a looker, but the finish did not hold up and I sent it back. Got armor ruff black put on it , much better hard use or just use finish, the blue looks great but not really a finish made for durability, just my thoughts.

·
I gotta have more cowbell
3,518 Posts
Get it in blue. Sometimes the wear looks good if it is from use, and not things like idiot scratches. If it wears in an unsatisfactory way, send it to @Steve Owens for a polished DLC. The stuff looks very close to polished blue but is indestructible . The top picture is of a polished blue slide , the bottom one is polished DLC slide.

Brown Gun Firearm Trigger Gun accessory
Gun Firearm Tan Shotgun Gun accessory

·
1911 Pistol Smith
11,465 Posts
Get it in blue. Sometimes the wear looks good if it is from use, and not things like idiot scratches. If it wears in an unsatisfactory way, send it to @Steve Owens for a polished DLC. The stuff looks very close to polished blue but is indestructible . The top picture is of a polished blue slide , the bottom one is polished DLC slide.

View attachment 376935 View attachment 376945
I will say the DLC has a little less luster in the end, but you have the durability factor. Different lighting also adds to the appearance of the finish. Nothing better than DLC in natural light settings. Blue will be very very hard to keep...

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
7,829 Posts
All bluing wears, highly polished blued guns will show wear sooner. Waxing your blued gun with Renaissance Wax or Flitz wax will help protect the finish and if you carry it, a holster that is lined with smooth leather will be easiest on the bluing.

My Meltdown is blued and I use Flitz wax on it and it has held up very well to a fair amount of carry and use since it was finished back in 2012.
The first pic was taken shortly after it was refinished, the second was taken last year when I had the front sight replaced.
Gun Firearm Trigger Gun accessory Ammunition

Line Metal Iron Material property Office instrument

·
I gotta have more cowbell
3,518 Posts
All bluing wears, highly polished blued guns will show wear sooner. Waxing your blued gun with Renaissance Wax or Flitz wax will help protect the finish and if you carry it, a holster that is lined with smooth leather will be easiest on the bluing.

My Meltdown is blued and I use Flitz wax on it and it has held up very well to a fair amount of carry and use since it was finished back in 2012.
The first pic was taken shortly after it was refinished, the second was taken last year when I had the front sight replaced.
View attachment 376977
View attachment 376979
Hoo Doo, that is stunning. HOO Did the bluing on that ?

·
7,829 Posts
Hoo Doo, that is stunning. HOO Did the bluing on that ?
Robin Dietrich of Dietrich Gunsmithy in Otis, ME refinished that gun for me. Clark's had parkerized it when they did the Meltdown package.

Reactions: Badabing11

·
7,829 Posts
I was a revolver guy before 1911s. I remember thinking exactly the same question.

The only ones I’ve seen are commemorative Colts, WC’s and one full polish dlc by @Steve Owens.
Numerous manufacturers sell or have sold 1911s with polished frames - Colt sells polished stainless ones, so does RIA, Cimarron sells polished blued ones, Springfield has sold them with polished frame and slide flats, Remington has done them, even Ruger and others.

Lots of custom 'smiths will polish guns for you and there are custom finishers that offer polishing as well. Dietrich's has done three for me- the blued Meltdown above, a polished Colt Government that was finished in DLC, and a stainless Detonics CombatMaster.

·
1911 Pistol Smith
11,465 Posts
Why are so few gunmakers polishing the receiver flats?

Oops, double negative, ET fix.
There are some who will do it, but it is very time consuming, and perfection or even near it requires proper machinery, polishing pastes, etc.. Many offered it over the years, but quit doing so because it was too cost prohibitive. Again perfection is nearly impossible to obtain and maintain. During the prepping stage you can be something near perfect and somewhere between the cleaning, and finishing something happens a scratch appears, your nearly right back to square one. I will not be offering the high polish on the frames beyond what I am already committed to. I will still offer slides to a mirror finish on the flats. But, will most likely not do anymore mirror finishes on the receiver flats. At least until I'm able to obtain the proper equipment to take out some of the elbow grease, my elbows and shoulders are beginning to hate me about now lol.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.