1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I got the email from WC announcing this gun a few minutes ago, and it’s intriguing. However, there seems to be some buyer’s remorse locally for the other EDC models as there’s at least a couple listed for sale. I’ve never handled or even seen one in person, but the fact that they’re already on the used market makes me wonder.
I know they were the talk of the gun community when the first came out, so has the shiny already worn off the penny?!?

·
Registered
229 Posts
I just got an EDC-X9 and it isn’t going anywhere right now. I too just got the email announcing the X9S. I guess if you have a need for a deep cover gun and don’t want plastic this may be the way to go. My hands are too big for these little guns so I will keep what I have. I do guess they would make a mighty fine backup gun though

·
Avatar is back to my favorite things!
9,776 Posts
I got the email from WC announcing this gun a few minutes ago, and it’s intriguing. However, there seems to be some buyer’s remorse locally for the other EDC models as there’s at least a couple listed for sale. I’ve never handled or even seen one in person, but the fact that they’re already on the used market makes me wonder.
I know they were the talk of the gun community when the first came out, so has the shiny already worn off the penny?!?
I don’t think it’s so much remorse as it just doesn’t fit the way they thought or think it would. Everything ends up on the used market eventually and as how the original had been out for quite some time now that is to be expected.
Most people that have expressed remorse was because they sold them too soon and didn’t give it a fair chance because it’s “different”

then you have those that just have to have the newest thing out and then when another new one shows up the previous one goes to get the shinier one!

I tend to keep everything unless it just really irks me in some way so mines not going anywhere

·
Pigtails and butter please...
3,200 Posts
The flipping of "like new" EDC-X9's started immediately after they were first released, and so there isn't any sort of new phenomenon there. The gun seems to be very much a love it or hate it kind of a deal.

I don't own one, but of the three sizes now offered I would stick with the original varient for a carry gun. I like double stack capacity in a defensive 9mm.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I just picked up a edc x9 about two weeks ago and absolutely love it. I have 400 rounds through it and it has exceeded my expectations. As for the new sub compact it doesn’t really move the needle for me. Even with how much I am in love with it’s bigger brother.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
People seem to ask this question a lot, and I think a lot of former X9s owners struggle with answering. So I will take a stab at it. I had an X9. After about a year or so trying to adapt to it, I traded for a 2011. It is hard to pin down my reasons, but some were:

-- I did not like the grip sensation. Tried both the large and regular backstraps. Never felt like I had a secure, solid grip
-- I did not like the inability to change grips or otherwise improve the grip through aftermarket options.
-- My X9 was typically accurate, reliable, like other Wilsons, but not better than my quality 1911s. When it came to recoil control, maybe not as good, which probably is because the X9 has a LW frame. As to accuracy, not more accurate than my 1911s.

It is hard to put into words, but I just did not see the need for it. For a larger capacity SAO platform, I much prefer my CZs or my 2011s.

The concept of the X9 sounds great, and I eagerly bought one when they were pretty new, but in practice it just did not fulfill any need for me.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I think it's worth noting that with so many new guns coming to the market, realistically, very few of us buyers live near enough to stocking dealers to handle them before committing. There are likely more high=end guns bought via the forums and on-line than over the counter. It looks good, the reviews are good, it's by a reputable company ----- I should like it. Maybe. Maybe not. Truth is, if we buy a higher value gun, then we don't like it (sliced white bread's been around a while, it's hard to beat as bread) we do know that for 75% of the purchase, or so, we can turn it here. That beats the heck out of local shops offering to help us with our problem for 45-65% of value they like to put into a trade. Marketing hype being as deep as it can be - buying the latesst and greatest from small makers still involves a lot of guessing - will I like it? I just made a deal here, I hope I like it.........but even addicts can't sell with a guaranteed pleasure. Luckily, I live a few miles from another addict. Try before you buy is possible in many cases, and what one hasn't handled, the other perhaps has and that can save a ton of buyer's remorse.

The worse thing about today's market is that as soon as one company has a new shape, style, feel or combination.... expert the others to bring something similar to the market pronto. Thanks to CNC and things like that, birthing a new product isn't terribly time consuming. Perhaps it doesn't take enough time.......

975 Posts
I have a couple on order but I’m kind of curious how small they’ll “feel” as well. I really like their sentinel sized guns so hopefully this is similar.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I purchased the X9 soon after its released, along with a ULCC. I couldn't decide between the two as my EDC based on reviews. The node went to the ULCC because it seemed to conceal more effectively, although I did like the X9 outside of the xtac treatment.

Picked up the X9L not long after it was released to replace my aging SpecOps9 and it was a good fit. Still not a fan of the xtac treatment but can put up with it.

Another X9 followed from Wichita Gun Club with the optics cut and Trijicon MRO because my aging eyes and iron sights don't get along as well anymore. It has a light rail and Streamlight. That was a total impulse buy because I liked the way Jess had it set up. It is relegated to a bedside gun until I can find a holster that works with the Trijicon.

Doubt I will have much interest in the X9S but with their eXperior line, I can see myself moving towards that line of their pistols. I have their compact double stack 9mm on order that may replace my ULCC. Sounds a lot like I've gone full circle.

·
Registered
536 Posts
If holster shopping, try JM custom kydex, seems to stay up with newest molds, etc and does a good job of fit/finish along with offering field proven designs.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Thanks. While I use HTC gear, I lean more towards leather but kydex does provide more options.
yea, I prefer leather; seems to take those makers longer to spin up on new frames. leather lined kydex is good, too; but not cheap. hate the 'click' of kydex, lining takes care of that but pushes you back to about the same overall thickness as quality leather. lightweight guns seem to do nothing but gain weight after purchase -- change the grips plus a couple of ounces; change sights, ditto; stick it in a holster, gain more weight!!! we pay for lightweight, then happily pork them up!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts